The 2014 World Cup of Languages Contest

Transparent Language Online have created a contest based on the Word Cup qualifying table, but without a single football in sight!

The challenge is, you learn a language of your choice from the list of competing languages (disappointingly, Welsh isn’t in the list. But they do have Irish, Haitian Farsi, Pashto and Esperanto to name a few!), and for each minute spent on learning that language it earns a point. The highest scoring languages go through to the next round until a winner is found.
You can also predict a winner too for a chance to win extended tuition beyond the World Cup. The initial contest offers the lessons for FREE!
I’m taking on the Irish challenge myself to see how good it is.
The downside to this site though, is if you’re using an iPad it won’t load the material as it uses an Adobe Flash plugin, which Apple doesn’t support, so I will be playing with this later on my laptop!

If anyone else wants to give it a go, just click on the link below:
http://blogs.transparent.com/language-news/2014/06/09/get-your-head-in-the-game-2014-world-cup-of-languages-contest/

Beyond the contest, I believe the lessons are offered for a premium, so to learn a new and different language for a month for free is an opportunity too good to miss! With the football World Cup starting tonight, it isn’t too late to sign up either!

Esperanto? Didn’t the bloke who invented that live in Keighley? Great idea though

Haitian Farsi

Does that actually exist (I really, really hope so!) or did you miss a comma? :slight_smile:

Haitian Farsi

Does that actually exist (I really, really hope so!) or did you miss a comma? :slight_smile:

I missed a comma! But I’m sure there is potential to invent a merged Haitian-Farsi language!

Haitian Farsi is the language spoken by the descendants of a little-known outpost of the ancient Persian Empire. Although Haitian Farsi is sometimes reputed to be mutually intelligible with modern Persian, this is, in fact, not the case due to the heavy influences of neighbouring African, native Caribbean, and Creole French languages throughout history. The language is restricted to isolated communities in Haiti and the Dominican Republic and is classed by the United Nations as ‘imaginary’.
(Wikipedia)