Thanks saysomethinginwelsh

I have posted previously how difficult it is to practice speaking Welsh when living outside of Wales (Weston-Super-Mare). I don’t fancy the ffrindiaith Skype option, can’t afford a bootcamp and posting an item on facebook drew a complete blank.
Fortunately an advert in my local newspaper produced one single reply and led to setting up a coffee and sgwrs Cymraeg meeting in Weston yesterday.
I was amazed that I held a conversation in Welsh for over an hour with scarcely a single word of English spoken! When I told my new welsh-speaking friend that I’d been learning for fourteen months (with saysomethinginwelsh about a year) he thought that I’d got my words wrong and that I meant fourteen years! His compliments were very generous and i felt a huge confidence boost from this one meeting. I was well-chuffed.
Diolch yn fawr iawn iawn eto i saysomethinginwelsh. Chris.

20 Likes

Da iawn ChrisLeaman that’s great ! All your hard work has paid off. No wonder your new friend was surprised you had only been learning for 14 months . I’m not a fan of Skype either and have never actually tried it. Will you be meeting up with him again for a chat yn Cymraeg ? Would be great if you had someone to practice with regularly :slight_smile:

1 Like

@aran needs to see this, and you Chris, deserve -

2 Likes

Which is exactly what you deserve for jumping in like that - huge congratulations! :star: :star2:

1 Like

YAY! how I love to read such posts!

Da iawn ti @ChrisLeaman. I hope you meet your Cymraeg speaking friend more often now and you’ll be surprised how quickly you can get in 1.5, 2, 3 … hours of purely Cymraeg conversation with not such big effort. This is brillant.

On the Skype thingy - Some of us just have to be fans of the Skype and networks because it’s the only thing we ever (mostly) get. I was EXTREAMLY fortunate human being to be able to go to bootcamp but many living outside Cymru and UK don’t have such opportunity due to various reasons.

So, you have a treasure to keep - your Welsh speakng friend …

Llongyfarchiadau ac dal ati! I am already looking forward to hear more. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn i ti Sam. Yes, we’ve arranged to meet up on a monthly basis going forward now.

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn Tatjana. We’ve now arranged to meet up on a roughly monthly basis.

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn i chdi. Dwy’n caru y ddraig.

1 Like

I cannot claim to have created y ddreigiau and I’ve forgotten the name of the lady who did, but they are available on the Forum in the thread “Dancing dragons”

1 Like