Thank you from a new Welsh learner in the U.S.A

Llongyfarchiadau :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Diolch! :grinning: It feels pretty good to have made it!

Heeeā€¦da iawn ti! :slightly_smiling_face:
It feels like yesterday when we wrote congratulations for finishing Level 1! :wink:

I think Level 3 is trickier - therefore, even more fun. :wink:
Iā€™m sure the cat will enjoy it too! :smile:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn! It does seem like yesterday I finished Level 1, except there was all that hard work in between to remind me hahaha. Oh, boy! I am really looking forward to the Deep End, as is my little Moon! I am glad I finished Level 2 on Tuesday so I have the week to get myself rested, refreshed, and ready for more! :smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve just had a one hour chat with @sasha-lathrop! I never cease to be amazed at how well learners who live thousands of miles from Wales can speak Welsh. And although Bubba Moon wouldnā€™t talk to me, I think he understand pretty much every word, tooā€¦

2 Likes

Diolch o galon, @BronwenLewis! It was a joy to siarad Cymraeg with you and I am already looking forward to next time. Hopefully Bubba Moon will get over his nervousness like I did! :wink::paw_prints::heartpulse:

1 Like

Llongyfarchiadau, @sasha-lathrop! Da iawn ti! :star:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr @AnnaC! :grinning:

1 Like

Llongyfarchiadau mawr iawn i ti, Sasha! :star: :star2:

Diolch yn fawr iawn, @aran. I needed the extra encouragementā€¦ Iā€™ve hit something of a wall because of my depression, and your kind words have given me a boost. Thank you.

4 Likes

I was once told that one of the biggest traps with depression is how bad it makes you feel about yourself - being angry with yourself for not having the energy to do anything. And my therapist, brilliantly, told me to stop being angry - and to respect my bodyā€™s ability to know what it needed - and that when my brain was telling me I needed to lie down on the sofa all afternoon, that was because it was EXACTLY the right thing for me to be doing - to accept the permission it gave me to do that.

Made a huge difference to my lifeā€¦ :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you @aran for your heartfelt reply, I canā€™t tell you how much it means to me. Your therapist would probably get on well with mine. :wink: She is always reminding me to show myself compassion and to listen to what my body is telling me. So, Iā€™ve been hunkered down listening to Stephen Fry read Harry Potter to me to fill the silence of an empty house and to give me a bit of hope to carry on. It is easy to start judging myself, and I am a very harsh judge of myself indeedā€¦ but it really does help to have you cheering me on from time to time as you have done since I arrived here late last year. Your advice and kindness are most welcome. Thank you, truly. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One other thing I heard, from a different source, which was hugely valuable to me - is that whoever you are, you still have the little boy or the little girl inside you that you used to be.

You would NEVER judge or condemn the little boy or the little girl in the way you judge or condemn yourself. So see her or him, and speak kindly and supportively to her/him.

Itā€™s easy to see that the little girl or little boy deserves support and love and encouragement. And then you can extrapolate from that, and realise that YOU do, tooā€¦ :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you so much, your words are like a balm to me @aran . Only yesterday I was telling my therapist (whom I admire greatly) how alone and how done I was feeling with everything, how disconnected I felt, and how hard it was not to hate myself. I hadnā€™t logged in to the forum in a couple days, and I hadnā€™t seen your post congratulating me yetā€¦ and I had no idea just how much kindness you were going to offer me. My therapist would like you a whole lot because she also reminds me of the little child I was who needed love and affection, and of the importance of giving that love to the child inside myself here and now. It is some of the sagest advice I have ever been given (I am reminded almost weekly), and I am so grateful to have the reminder here as well. I am glad someone has shared that with you, and I thank you for sharing it with me because it seems I can never hear it enough. Diolch o galon. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s one of my pitfalls. I lack motivation or focus to do stuff, then get frustrated with myself for not doing much. I can be rather judgmental of myself, which puts me in a worse mood, and it just feeds off of itself.

Saw a video on Facebook about that a while back. I should probably be taking that advice.

One of the things about depression is that you donā€™t feel like doing anything, or going anywhere. At the same time, sitting dormant makes you feel isolated, and sometimes you also feel (again) that you should be doing something. ā€œTake a walk, youā€™ll feel better.ā€ ā€œMeh, Iā€™ll do it later.ā€ (sun sets and all is dark)
You feel lonely, yet you donā€™t want to reach out. And your brain says, ā€œMeh, people donā€™t call me much. What if I quit calling people, and see if anyone calls me? Letā€™s see if anyone actually thinks, 'Hey, I havenā€™t heard from So-and-So, I should try to get in touch with them.ā€
Really, depression sets the stage for further depression. Itā€™s an endless circle that can be difficult to break free from. Fighting the accursed thing is difficult, and itā€™s something I need to get better at.

2 Likes

This is so true. It doesnā€™t help that weā€™ve been conditioned to think if someone wants to talk to us then theyā€™ll reach out. You also donā€™t want to seem needy and keep reaching out all the time so you leave it to them. Then it becomes a cycle where youā€™re not sure if youā€™re just being stubborn or if the other people really donā€™t want to talk to you. Depression is viscous.

2 Likes

I understand your sense of distance from Wales. I live in Australia and Iā€™m so happy when I receive the emails from Brenda, I think it is now.

But the latest email (received today) made me realise I must improve my English! Just occurred to me that in the latest email, thereā€™s a difference between ā€˜postcardā€™ and ā€˜podcastā€™ ā€¦ dyna twp ydy fi ā€¦

O ffrindiauā€¦ I lost my Welsh speaking buddy and best friend on Monday. Bubba Moon passed away suddenly while out on our walk. Iā€™d been speaking Welsh to him, as I always did, and calling him my ā€˜Bubba Pumpkin,ā€™ and then he collapsed and was gone. Rest in peace, my dear friend. You are sorely missed.

3 Likes

So sorry to hear that! Rest in peace, Bubba Moon. :dizzy:
Big hugs to you. :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you so much @gisella-albertini. Big hugs back to you. :orange_heart:

2 Likes