Textbooks

A new copy of Colloquial Welsh is £22, on Amazon, and don’t forget you might want the CD, which is about a tenner. If you want second hand, there’s one available for £999.11 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0415461138 :laughing: :laughing: (as someone who manages data on Amazon, I know how these data hiccupss can happen :unamused:)

1 Like

@hilary and everyone: No need to pay for the audio files for Colloquial Welsh, you can download them for free here:

http://www.routledgetextbooks.com/textbooks/colloquial/language/welsh.php

6 Likes

Oooh, great. Thanks for that. That’s just saved me 10 quid :smile: :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Lovely, thank you very much @AnnaC!

2 Likes

If you want to check before you buy get a free months trial of scribd.

2 Likes

ROFL!!! I think I’ll pass on that one! Who knows, it might have dog-eared corners; and that would drive me mad! :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks, Aran. Do you have a feel for how advanced the learning is in the Colloquial Welsh book? I’m at the end of the levels and can read and write already from my past - so, I don’t want a beginner’s book. My friend in Powys thinks I could be ready for Uwch 1. Is that a good fit?

[quote=“hilary, post:26, topic:7166”]
If you want second hand, there’s one available for £999.11[/quote]

Oh hang on, there’s a new one for that price, too, if you don’t want dog ears :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr, @AnnaC! :bouquet:

1 Like

LOL! Oh, WELL, if it’s new… Maybe I should get two?! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, @Pete2! I’d never heard of this site. BRILLIANT!

2 Likes

Hmmm. Colloquial Welsh is for ‘from the beginning’, but it does take you a fair old way. Having said that, if you’ve finished the levels and can read and write, I’m not sure you particularly need a textbook-driven approach any more - I think you’d be better off reading stuff you enjoy, listening to stuff you enjoy, and spending time with Welsh-speakers whose company you enjoy… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would say there’s little to gain but vocabulary if you’ve done all the Ssiw material. However the audio files are useful especially hearing different accents.

2 Likes

Hi @aran - I think you’re right. I took @Pete2’s advice and looked at it through Scribd; and I think it’s a little basic for me at this point. I will check through the chapters towards the end this weekend; but I think I’m better off getting the grammar book as a reference and just reading, writing, speaking, listening as much as possible.

On that note, I’ve just started a new book. It’s an abridged version of “O Law I Law” by T. Rowland Hughes. It’s much more difficult than the ones I’ve been reading up until now, as it’s CHOCKA with quite old colloquialisms, but it’s got footnotes on every page to help with them. The two things I do like about it is that the footnotes are Welsh definitions rather than just English substitute words; and I understand a lot of the colloquialisms instinctively, because they’re the same as (or similar to) what I’m learning in the SSiW Northern course anyway (e.g. I know that “hefo” = “efo”; whereas the footnotes tell me that “hefo” = “gyda”). It feels good to stretch the mental muscles, though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s another of my favoutite books…:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Kicking myself - saw that in a second hand shop, but opted for another novel instead. Will have to see if it’s still there this weekend and splurge another quid :slight_smile:

EDIT:
Just realised that the other novel I picked up is also by T. Rowlands Hughes, called Y Cychwyn, so hopefully it will still be a good read. Now all I need to be able to do is read Welsh… :smiley:

3 Likes