Sut i Gymreigio'r Android

Google’s Android operating system seems to be a bit twp and can’t do the simplest things like show the date and time on the lock screen in Welsh. You certainly can’t change the regional settings to Welsh, which puts them behind Microsoft and Apple. It’s not like Google to be behind the curve and maybe we can share some tips and experiences to help us in the meanwhile, while they manage to catch up.

This is a thread for frustrated mobile phone and tablet PC owners like myself to share some tips on how to welshify/cymreigio things like Samsung and HTC mobiles and make them a bit smarter.

P.S. I don’t know how to link replies from other threads, such as @Owain 's tip on using swiftkey.

1 Like

Here you go!

"I myself have not found any way to set the language to Welsh on a Samsung android phone (though there is an “out of the box” option for Irish (Gailge) for some reason.)

To be honest, though, I’ve found that putting the “swiftkey” app on my phone more than makes up for that. This is an on screen touch keyboard with predictive text in many languages, including Welsh. The predictive text in Welsh is better than any one I have seen in English, and every Welsh speaker I know using it says the same thing. It makes writing in Welsh so much easier (as I say, even than writing in English) that it makes up (to me) for the fact that Welsh is not an option for the other information on the screen."

2 Likes

Owain,

Now have swiftkey and it is really good - it could be a good cheat for Duolingo (which will be upto 250k users in a fortnight) and Memrise - not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

2 Likes

Not heard of Memrise, will give it a go. Already working my way through Duolingo which I am enjoying. It doesn’t seem to ‘stick’ as well as SSiW but it is much less taxing when one is not in the mood for mega brain pain(!)

1 Like

I had the same problem, trying to make my phones Language Cymraeg. I had a keyboard app called Literatim which was nice but I think I like SwiftKey better since I don’t have to choose different language settings each time I want to spell in a different language. One thing that was kind of nice about Literatim was that you could type an English word and the Welsh would show up in the suggestions. Maybe some day our phones will let us change the whole thing. In the meantime, I recently found out Facebook has a Cymraeg language setting, which is at least one step towards using it more. ( on a semi related note, I also found out that the game Minecraft has a Cymraeg setting, but I don’t know if that applies to anyone else here heh)

For typing in Welsh on Android LiteratIM is good.[quote=“Toffidil, post:1, topic:5696, full:true”]
Google’s Android operating system seems to be a bit twp and can’t do the simplest things like show the date and time on the lock screen in Welsh. You certainly can’t change the regional settings to Welsh, which puts them behind Microsoft and Apple. It’s not like Google to be behind the curve and maybe we can share some tips and experiences to help us in the meanwhile, while they manage to catch up.

This is a thread for frustrated mobile phone and tablet PC owners like myself to share some tips on how to welshify/cymreigio things like Samsung and HTC mobiles and make them a bit smarter.

P.S. I don’t know how to link replies from other threads, such as @Owain 's tip on using swiftkey.
[/quote]

1 Like