Successes Big or Small and Everything In Between

A small satisfying success today in a Chinese restaurant still on the Costa del Sol. I said something in Spanish to the owner and I wasn’t sure she understood what I intended to say. So my SSiS came to my rescue. I thought ‘I wanted to say …’ and out popped ‘Quería decir que …’. No worrying about tenses, the phrase just came straight out. It feels so good to be able to actually say what you want to say.

4 Likes

I’d say that’s an awesome win :star: :star2:

I had a nice little lunch-time chat today, whilst trying to navigate the controls of our ancient tea room microwave. I came away knowing how to say “I don’t know how to use the microwave”. To be fair, it was bang-on SSiS pattern.

2 Likes

Superb work there. What on earth is microwave in Spanish? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think for me the big success so far has been to resist the temptation to repeat challenges. I admit I did repeat the first two, but after that I’ve not done so. It’s still quite difficult to accept the idea of moving on even though you feel you haven’t mastered the content. Referring to the vocabulary list is, however, very helpful.

2 Likes

Well done - that is a very valuable success - remember, they’ll always be there later if you find you still want to go back and revisit them… :slight_smile:

Hi Aran, it sounded like (La) Microonda. That’s also what Google translate has, so hopefully correct.

Actually two of the colleagues are from Spain and one is from Bolivia. She can also speak a Quechuan language.

1 Like

Oh, wow:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

The microwave = El microondas :wink:

2 Likes

Just adding my own little success story…

A month and a half ago I moved into a houseshare with 2 Spanish men. I thought that this would be an amazing opportunity to learn a bit of Spanish. I’ve done some SSIW and am about halfway through Level 2 so I was so excited to see that it’s now available in Spanish.

So I decided to put welsh on the backburner until the summer, when the houseshare ends. That was a month and a half ago and I can’t believe I’m actually speaking Spanish in my daily life. Things like “Did you have a good day at work?” “I’m going out to the pub with some friends” “Would you like some help cleaning?” “What are you cooking?”

I’m on Level 2 Challenge 14 and I’m dreading getting to the end. I know how I can keep improving but the best thing about SSIS is that I put it on in the car while I travel between clients and I can learn subconsciously while I focus on driving and let the Spanish just come out of my mouth, which I think is the best way to learn. I’ll miss it when I get to the end and have to listen to the radio instead.

So thank you so much for making the course and please give us Level 3!

3 Likes

It should be happening this year… :slight_smile:

But also… once you’ve done Level 2, if you have the opportunity to use your Spanish every day, you’ll be absolutely fine in a very short amount of time! So you’ll never really need Level 3…:wink: :slight_smile:

That’s true. I just like learning in the car! Guess I’ll have to find some podcasts from somewhere else, if anyone has any recommendations?

1 Like

I like the Notes in Spanish stuff from Ben and Marina:

:slight_smile:

I’m not sure whether this qualifies as a ‘success story’ but it was entertaining.

I’ve been doing some heavy revision of my Spanish this week. I used to speak it all the time many years ago when I had an active social group that included lots of South Americans, but I haven’t used it so much lately. Time to dust off the cobwebs, I thought.

In the midst of listening to some Spanish on Thursday, the phone rang. Hmm, cold caller again, I thought. Usually I deal with them by answering in Welsh and they give up. This time I opened my mouth to speak Welsh and all that would come out was Spanish! I tried to force my brain back into Welsh, but the Spanish words kept coming, so I gave up fighting and just spoke Spanish to a very confused cold caller on the other end. It had the same effect though, and I got to practise a bit of Spanish conversation before he hung up :smile:

2 Likes

Brilliant thanks. I love the look of their intermediate level topics. Radiohead, Harry Potter…

1 Like

And they come across as nice people, too… :slight_smile:

Hoping ok to post here. (Learning by mistakes). Yesterday afternoon, I greeted our Bolivian colleague with Buenos días, not realising it should nave been Beunos tardes. I wrongly assumed that dias was for the whole day, not just the morning. Easy way to learn though. as she corrected me with a smile.

1 Like