Struggling 🙄

I am really struggling with week 8 I keep going over it and remember it while I’m doing the lesson, but can’t seem to remember it when I’ve finished, it has taken me 3 weeks so far and feel very frustrated with myself, can anyone suggest a new strategy I could try please? :frowning:

1 Like

I completely understand this, having got utterly confused and muddled at times. I took advice on this forum and pressed on to the next challenges. In the end things really do fall into place,

5 Likes

Hi @pat-7, I hope you don’t feel too discouraged. Like @ken said, things really do start to fall into place. Try doing some little tricks between challenges, like writing the vocabulary and Welsh sentences (I write as little English as I can to understand later) in a notebook after each challenge, so you can do a quick review before the next one. That’s something I do to help me remember. Pob lwc!

3 Likes

maybe other methods of learning could spruce up the experience too?
Writing … while not needed here … does actually create long term memories better

This course is for getting speaking in the community first … but eventually writing and reading are good skills to slowly build too

3 Likes

@sasha-lathrop and @brynle’s tips can help you already and if you’re more of a visual learner you will instantly notice the benefits. :slight_smile:

Personally, especially in the beginning, at the end of each lesson I couldn’t remember anything of what I had just done - just like you!

But for some reason I had understood we were not supposed to repeat the lessons, so I just moved on to the next without even thinking about it (basically like @ken suggested).

And the fact is that you’re going to find many things from the previous ones, so you get to practice them again and again.
And in my case this allowed me to just notice they had stuck in my memory at some point - before the end of the Level (apart from a handful that resisted, and took more time).

Oh another thing, when I felt frustrated and tired, I just took a break of a few days, keeoing in touch with Welsh through something enjoyable, light and fun: in my case, listening to songs first of all. Later also watching TV programmes on S4C with subtitles.

In any case, the best thing is just trying different things until you find the trick that works best for you!

5 Likes

As @ken says, just move on. Repeating and repeating doesn’t work, as you are finding out. Trust the system. It really does work.

4 Likes

I am nearing the end of Level 2 and as things became more difficult I would go through the challenge and then write the vocabulary into a note book. This seemed to help a great deal, just before I started the new challenges on a Monday I would listen to the second challenge from the week before (if that makes sense). I do the challenges in the car, or walking on a treadmill, seems to focus the mind.

3 Likes

Pat, you’re aiming for perfection here, and that’s going to be increasingly frustrating for you - if you can remember the content while you’re doing the lesson, you’re doing brilliantly, and you should be moving on - the ways and times in which you remember the content outside of the lesson will depend on doing the weekly tasks, and over time they will naturally become stronger/easier. You’re on the right path and you’re doing well, so don’t beat yourself up by imagining that you’re sitting next to a perfect learner who never forgets anything (they don’t exist!)… :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you Aran, that has made me feel much better, I’ll push on with the next lesson and I’m sure it will come. :blush:

3 Likes

Thank you Heather for your support, I will try doing mine while I ride my exercise bike, maybe that will help. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you Margaret :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you Gisella, all if your suggestions make a lot of sense, I’ll keep going. :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you Sasha-lathrop and brynle I appreciate all of your support.

2 Likes

I found that I felt a bit panicked about forgetting words and phrases in the lesson they were introduced and then the lesson after but I only had 3 months to complete the challenges so I just moved onto the next challenge each time. By about two challenges after a new word was introduced, I suddenly felt a lot more comfortable with that word. By the end of level 3, I had semi-mastered trusting myself - that if I couldn’t remember something that it was okay because I would discover it again in a couple of challenges time.

Because the SSiW method is so natural, I don’t find that I am constantly working hard to keep all my vocabulary active in my conscious like I have done with languages in the past. I feel like I have forgotten everything and then at the right time the appropriate phrase just pops into my head (and then I have to remind myself that I am not in a Welsh speaking country!)

It sounds a bit weird but I hope it reassures you a little!

3 Likes

Hi @pat-7 I was struggling on level 1 challenge 10, and I talked to @steakandeggs about it. He gave me some great advice, much of which has already been mentioned here. First of all, do not aim for 100% accuracy in each challenge, it will come to you, there is plenty of revision of previous challenges as you move into each new challenge. Secondly, think of how a child first learns to speak, by hearing the language around them. They don’t get out a grammar text book, they listen, repeat and eventually put together sentences from the vocabulary they have learnt. It’s a leap of faith, I know, but the method really does work, I know more Welsh in 3 months than I learnt in 5 years at school. (mind you, that was over 40 rears ago)

4 Likes

I felt like that but just keep on going…its surprising how much you do actually remember without you realising.

2 Likes

Hi Pat, S’mae. I have struggled on many weeks. I have now thought sod it at times. I tried to pick out a saying that i was struggling with. I am a few weeks ahead of you but if i am honest I cant remember everything. But you know what, I certainly cofio mwy rwan. Dw i wedi anghofio unrhyw beth arall. Lol ymarfer, ymarfer, ond mwynhau.

2 Likes