Struggling already (lesson two!)

I’m halfway through the second lesson and I’m already stuck.

My main problem is that I can’t remember the English prompt. As soon as it’s said I just forget it!

I’m also struggling to un-learn phrases I’ve been taught on the Welsh for Adults course I do. The following are what comes to mind first, but they’re incorrect on SSiW:
-dw i ddim yn gallu… Instead of alla i ddim
-dw i eisiau… Instead of dw i’n moyn
-dw i angen… Instead of mae eisiau i fi

What am I doing wrong? I don’t mind making mistakes with my Welsh answer but I can’t even get that far when I can’t remember the prompt in English that was just said to me!

I’ve had to stop the second lesson halfway through as my brain is just set on panic mode now :frowning:

Does anyone have any advice?

Also, am I supposed to be doing one lesson a day? As they’re around half an hour I was just planning on doing one, although I’ve already missed one day. Thanks.

1 Like

Don’t be afraid to use the pause button if you need to at this stage (but do try not to grow to rely on it). Also, don’t feel you have to get every word perfect - for instance, if you can’t remember what the verb should be because you’ve forgotten the English, just say any verb that comes to mind even if you think it’ll be the wrong one. It’ll take a little time but your brain and ears will be making connections and overthinking it and being worried about saying the wrong thing can interrupt that process.

Don’t feel you need to ‘unlearn’ the one you know already - they are not incorrect, just different.
dwi ddim yn gallu means exactly the same as alla i ddim - it’s just a different verb construction, but they are equally correct.
With your second two examples, check whether you’re following the southern or northern course. moyn is southern, eisiau is northern - you may find it easier to switch regions to hear the one you’re used to using. It’s the same thing with dwi angen (northern) and mae eisiau i fi (southern).

The course is very flexible - you don’t have to do the whole half hour in one go. You can break it up into whatever chunks are comfortable, but aim for 6 minutes minimum - I think that’s what the emails are based around.

And finally, don’t think it’s just you - we’ve all experienced panic mode! I’m sure others will be along shortly with some more tips, sympathy, and encouragement to prove it!

5 Likes

Thank you. Thank God I don’t have to do the whole 30 minutes! Half of that is enough for me and more manageable. I wasn’t sure how rigid this ‘method’ is.

Aahh, that explains why I’ve been bombarded with emails even though I’ve only done 1 and a half lessons!

We’re studying the Southern version on my course which is where I’ve heard those phrases, but our tutor is from the North so maybe that’s it.

Diolch am helpu

1 Like

I agree with siaronjames. The main thing is to enjoy it because then learning will not seem like an ordeal a 30mins lesson is easily Managable if you break it down into 5 or 10 minute chunks over a number of days. Don’t lose heart; The way the course builds up your knowledge of the language is by lots of repetition across lessons and by gradually introducing new phrases and vocabulary. Clearly at the outset is going to be lots of new stuff so if that is too difficilt don’t be afraid to take a few weeks on a lesson but I’d recommend skipping to the next and returning later to see if that helps. If also recommend at some point using a suppplement like Duo Lingo (but not immediately unless you have a natural flair for languages). Fret ye not… No one is going to lock you up because it takes you more than a few weeks to understand something so don’t stress yourself out.
It’s fun if you relax about it.

6 Likes

I saw a YouTube clip and a tip I’ve found helpful
Tip - don’t wait til the end of the sentence before trying to answer,

it sounds confusing but try it
I’m struggling with remembering what the sentence is once it’s finished too

Hang in there just do a little every day ……drip drip it will sink in

1 Like

Thank you, that is a good idea. I’ll try that! I’ve just finished the second lesson now after doing it in two parts and it was mentioned at the end that it is something to do with short-term memory.

Thank you. Yes, nothing really goes in when I’ve feel feeling like the course is fighting me.

I tried doing the lesson in two parts and that was better. Three lots of 10 minutes might have been even better.

Wait until you discover ‘sai’n gallu, dwi ffaelu.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. What I’ve found is that whatever your brain thinks is right you’ll say it anyway and will always be understood.

It doesn’t matter about knowing it perfectly as long as you know the variations so you can understand when speaking, that’ll do. Just do what makes you happy and mostly trust the process.

Pob lwc :grinning:

2 Likes

I complete the challenges in several stages, usually in 10 - 15 min chunks. I go through the challenge as many times as I need to in order to move forward with some confidence to the next challenge. Doing it more quickly doesn’t work for me. I use the pause button more than advised (especially on new material) but I need that. I will lose heart by trying (and failing too frequently) to find the Welsh in time.

I did the first stage of the old course first, so experienced some difficulties with the new course too, as there are differences (e.g “dw i ddim yn gallu…” in the old course; “alla i ddim” in the new course and a few others that have frustrated me). I just go with it now and try not to get frustrated with it. Try not to get hung up about getting everything perfect.

I’m half way through the second stage now and have good days and bad. I believe there is no one way to do this. What I have outlined above may not be the right way to go for you. Find out what works well for you and do it that way. Above all, enjoy it.

2 Likes

To be honest what would make me happy is to quit!

I am at the end of lesson 3 now and my brain is just blanking at every single prompt with ‘bo fi’.

Haven’t a clue what I’m supposed to be doing with this. I’ve been told that I just have to keep going regardless but also that it’s best to keep doing a lesson till you get it. Very confused. Is there an introductory guide somewhere I’ve missed?

I struggle with anything fast too. The speed just makes me anxious and stressed from the beginning.

I’m not sure I’m suited to this type of teaching, being a slow learner. Today is definitely a bad day.

Thanks, I have started talking over the first voice (the prompt) but still stop in my tracks as soon as I hear the second voice- I just feel as though I’m being interrupted, and my instinct is to stop speaking.

It’s early days, don’t give up yet.

I feel your pain though. I’ve taken a few breaks from it for a few days to let me head settle down. Learn it your way. If you need to do a lesson a few times before you move on, do it. If you want to use the pause button more than advised, then do that too. Something that works in a particular way for most people doesn’t work for ALL people. Find a way that works for you. Above all, don’t get stressed, as that will hinder your learning.

Another thing that has helped me is to copy the vocabulary of each challenge onto a document and read it. Absorbing this by reading may help with the spoken exercise. I think it does for me.

If it makes you feel better most of us will have days where we feel like we have hit a brick wall. Keep plugging away and it will get better.

Thank you, that’s honestly reassuring.

I will definitely start writing down the vocab. I find I have almost photographic memory once I’ve written stuff down.

Gotta keep fighting the feeling that I’m going to get told off if I deviate from the way you’re ‘supposed’ to do this course!

Thanks again!

I’ve battled with that emotion of feeling I’m not doing it right, but not anymore.

Learn to enjoy it and don’t expect perfection. Also, don’t expect perfection from the learning material. It’s not perfect, but it is effective. Just look back at the end of each month and compare where you were at the beginning of the month. If you’ve made progress then that is success. You will make progress and it will get better.

Keep dipping in on here. There is a lot of help when you are struggling with a particular challenge or even something specific in a challenge.

Good luck!

3 Likes

For me, I did use the pause button. When they said the English, I’d press it and repeat the English sentence.

I found that, in time, I could rely on the pause button less.

Regarding the bit about - “the book says this, but SSiW says that”. I think you have to try to forget about that as much as possible for now. Like any language, there are multiple ways to say things e.g. a long way and a shortened form. I’d say to myself “oh, that’s different - it must just be another way to say this”.

On certain occasions, I would delve deeper and look into why something was said like that. I’d do that sparingly - don’t worry about the “why” just say it.

It helped me to think of SSiW like a jigsaw, where you complete little bits of it all over the place, rather than starting in one corner and building slowly from there. Trust that the various bits get filled in over time. SSiW won’t give you a everything, and adding in other resources will help in time - it kinda charges the brain up for dealing with Welsh, really.

I think SSiW works really well, but don’t worry about mistakes, and don’t worry about the “why”, at least for now. Just do what you can do.

I say the above as someone who is usually very hard on themselves when I get things wrong - with this, I just said “Oh ok, I can’t remember this now, but I trust that I will in time”. It does work, and some of the things I struggled with became things I enjoyed the most in time.

I can almost sense the stress and worry coming off the screen in your posts. Just try to enjoy it and don’t worry about getting things wrong, or things not sinking in. It’ll come.

Don’t forget - there’s bound to be rocky patches, otherwise it wouldn’t be worth it. What I can say is that the rewards are worth it. Learning Welsh (as a non-speaking Welshman, previously) has been amazing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. At the moment I haven’t been brave enough to do any lessons for a few days, as life is getting pretty rough at the moment as it is. It was not a good time to start SSiW, in hindsight.

I’m going to start making a written list of the phrases I’ve been taught and hear spoken, and then another column with their SSiW versions. I don’t know if this course approves of writing things down but I’ll do it anyway.

You are completely right about the worry and stress. I was conditioned from high school French lessons to panic and go blank and to wince everytime I made a mistake (or even when I anticipate a mistake that actually isn’t).

Can I ask, as I’m still not clear… how do you know when you’re supposed to move onto the next lesson and when you need to re-do a lesson? Thanks again.

This might sound unhelpful, but it really depends on the individual - there’s no magic mark to reach.
The course is built around repetition, so phrases and constructions will keep cropping up as you move through, so you don’t have to feel you’ve nailed everything before moving on. If you do feel you need to repeat a lesson once or twice, that’s fine, but the trick is not to get bogged down in doing so - some lessons are naturally going to feel harder or take longer to sink in, so sometimes you might feel you need to repeat, other times you might not. Remember, you can always go back to a lesson at a later date if you want to, so often it’s best to move on anyway and pop back if you feel like it.

Don’t think too much about it, and go with the flow. Translate as much as you can and don’t worry.

It’s kind of deliberate - and I think is mostly there to teach your brain to internalise bits of it better, rather than teaching you to remember complicated English sentences in real-time!

I’m on level 2, and every so often he’ll throw in a frankly ridiculous sentence like “He told me that you need to tell her that we need to think about telling him to ask me” … I do these lessons whilst walking to work, and it’s hard enough to walk in a straight line if your brain is trying to process all that in one go!!

3 Likes

I had exactly the same: I couldn’t remember what had been said in English, and felt flustered trying to get the Welsh out, even when it was something I knew from DuoLingo. And yes, I was tripped up -still can be, occasionally- by eisiau/moyn, which I felt I had to forget/re-learn.

But guess what? I learnt to listen to the Welsh being spoken, and have ‘got my ear in’ better now: I am picking out the odd phrase on S4C too, even if I watch with the subtitles on. My advice would be don’t give up and give it time. Learning a language is a pretty big undertaking, but you’ll surprise yourself pretty quickly. Within a few weeks the early phrases, like alla’i ddim, will come naturally. I don’t know how SSiW works, but it does -you just have to trust in Aran! I am ‘only’ on week 10, but things are very different already, so keep trying because it does get easier.

2 Likes