SSiW Online Eisteddfod

I haven’t been on the forum for a while so sorry if I’ve missed something - is there going to be an online SSiW eisteddfod this year?

Hi, Clare - I was just recently wondering that as well. I think with all the adjustments to the new (and new-new) forum, the eisteddfod has been, not really forgotten, but taken a lower priority. We will have to see if any past “archdderwydd” will chime in here!

1 Like

So, last year the eisteddfod got lost in the switch to the new forum and such, but this year I hear that it will be back, if anyone is interested!

1 Like

For those of us who are slightly newer to the forum could you please explain? :smile:

2 Likes

Hi everyone, Dee here!

Yes, we’re just in the process of getting the SSiW online Eisteddfod up and running again for this year. There will be more information for you very soon, but to give you a quick overview -

• The online Eisteddfod is an opportunity for everyone to participate in a Welsh cultural event, no matter where they live
  • There will be a series of categories announced - some of them written categories for those of you who have progressed further with your Welsh, e.g. short story writing, poetry writing, but there are also categories for those of you who are still in early stages and would like to enter verbally, e.g. telling a story, singing, or recitation. There are also categories for art and photography.
  • It works by people submitting entries to a specific email address. They are collated and posted for all to see with the Ffugenw (pseudonym) given by the entrant, so everything is anonymous.
  • Next, people are given a period of time to look through the entries and vote.
  • Finally, the winners are announced and if we’ve managed to get a few sponsors (we’ve been lucky in the past), prizes and winners’ t-shirts are distributed.

That’s just a quick rundown of how it happens. We’re at the stage of deciding on the final list of categories and topics so if anyone would like to join the “Gorsedd” and help with some of the organisation (and finding of sponsors), they would be very welcome. Just contact me with a PM letting me know your email address and I’ll add you to the group.

3 Likes

And to start the excitement, here’s this year’s logo courtesy of Lisa from the US:

7 Likes

Love the logo. This is already a winner for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the additional spikes on the top of the red letter S. It always had the tail point on the bottom, but the spikes are new!

Looking forward to this!

2 Likes

Yes, Lisa thought she’d add that little touch and I really like it too.

2 Likes

So do I.

Ooo! Looking forward to this already! :smile:
I too love the logo. I’d quite like to have it on a t-shirt or a mug or something.

2 Likes

Hmmm … some SSiW shop adition… ??? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, it is with great delight that I declare the SSiW Eisteddfod Ar Lein 2015 up and running!

We’ve included a few changes this time which we hope will expand the range of categories and allow everyone to have a go, no matter how new they are in their Welsh journey. Some categories are written, but there are a good number that are verbal so don’t worry if you aren’t at the writing stage yet.

Have a look at the attached document and if you have any questions, just post them here and someone will be along to answer.

Pob lwc and have lots of fun!

Categories and Rules 2015.pdf (358.5 KB)

5 Likes

Has a closing date been announced? I’m just wondering how long we have to produce something worth submitting.

1 Like

Hi Anne,

The submissions will take place between Oct 12th and Nov 1st, so officially the last day to send something in will be Nov 1st.

It’s a bit different for us this year working out how to do it on the new forum, but fingers crossed it will go smoothly. Dafydd will be our Submissions Officer again, and we should get the instructions on how to send your entries in up on the forum very soon. I doubt that part will vary much from previous years.

Dee

Diolch Dee.