Spoken welsh v written welsh

I am currently studying course 3 lesson 8,but I have often been puzzled by the difference in spoken welsh between I was =Ro’n i’n and we were = Ro’ni’n. The only difference is in written Welsh.
They both sound identical especially in lesson 8 onwards(as Aran says " the gloves are off" from now on) The affirmative rider R is also omitted in fast speech, which to my feeble mind makes them questions O’n i’n ? or O’ni’n?
When speaking you know the context but not when listening. so whats the answer? any ideas?

I’m not entirely sure what the question is…:wink:

If you’re worried about knowing whether someone is referring to themselves or to a group of people, you’ll find that context will give that to you almost all the time - and if you’re not sure you can always ask - any time a speaker is aware that there is uncertainty, they’ll be very likely to revert to a fuller form - you might even get a ‘roeddwn ni’…:wink:

I have to say that it’s and more and more listening. Fine tuning to the tone of the voices if people are asking questions…making lot’s of mistakes…time.

2 Likes

When you think about it, you have a very similar situation in English with you are (sg) and you are (pl). That is rarely a problem, if it is there are you all and youse to help out.

2 Likes

Yes. And what about the English words: were; wear;and,where. It reminds me of the foreign student learning English who fainted when he heard a radio announcer talk of someone being taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

1 Like

And the other one, who packed his bags and went home when he saw a poster in London which announced ‘“Cavalcade” pronounced success!’

(“Cavalcade” was an entertainment by Noël Coward)