Some interesting articles for your perusal

Came across a couple of interesting articles today (via the Language Learning subreddit). Wanted to pass them along!

5 Likes

Very interesting. So what ARE the fillers for Welsh everyone?

2 Likes

Good question Ruth ā€¦ Iā€™m waiting too.

A lot of that second article (almost all to be honest) seemed like common sense to me and is stuff that Iā€™m already doing but then I thought about some people I know that have been going to lessons for years but shy away from having a conversation with me in Welsh. One guy even says that he knows how to speak Welsh and knows ā€œtons of vocabularyā€ but lacks practice, all of which he says in English and just will not say anything in Welsh, we have a conversation with me speaking Welsh and him speaking English. So frustrating but what can you do? (rhetorical)

4 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more gruntius! Iā€™m only up to Lesson 10, Course 1 Northern but I am v excited at the thought of actually knowing enough to codger up some kind of conversation with other Welsh speakers! I canā€™t see the point of all the effort spent learning it if I donā€™t give it a go , especially next time Iā€™m in Walesā€¦and Iā€™m sure native Welsh speakers are like people the world over, and really quite pleased if a non speaker makes any kind of effort even if it is just ā€˜bore daā€™!
I agree the other article was largely what Aran tells us to do on this siteā€¦make up sentences in your head each day, say them out loud, keep thinking how you would say things in Welshā€¦Iā€™m really trying on that score, and said to my puzzled dog just now 'Wyt ti eisiau mynd i ā€˜grandmaā€™s?ā€™!! ( i donā€™t know grandma yet!)

5 Likes

And, of course, you already are at that point. Are you chatting in Welsh already?

Grandma :older_woman: is nain (nine 9). :+1:

3 Likes

If heā€™s waiting for a golden moment, when itā€™ll come together perfectly and, he can cover every base fluentlyā€¦Well, heā€™s deluded it isnā€™t going to happen.
For sixteen years, I could follow the gist of many conversations and use pat phrases; and had loads of vocab - which I couldnā€™t pronounce: but unless your prepared to, stumble,fall flat on your face, get up to fall over and over in the gladiatorial arena of,actually speaking the languageā€¦forget it.

7 Likes

Oooh! Thank you! I can ask him completely in Welsh now!! Im mostly chatting away to myself in Welsh as I donā€™t know anyone around me who speaks Welsh.

2 Likes

Youā€™ll soon be getting the Welsh speakers discount when your out and about in the shops of the Cymru Gymraeg. This can, and sometimes does, include: bigger ice creams, free taxi rides, the bus driver dropping you of at the door of the pubā€¦Yep!!! Thereā€™s loads of freebies and upgrades coming your way. :wink:

8 Likes

Oh, yay! So happy to see that this started a bit of a conversation.

Yes, I would love to know what the Welsh ā€œfillersā€ are, too. Interestingly (maybe), I have a natural tendency to want to say, ā€œEm,ā€ when Iā€™m speaking Welsh (to myself, of course, deep in the heart of Texas). I have no idea if that is an ā€œactualā€ filler that Welsh speakers use, though.

1 Like

On radio BBC Cymru, I often hear people say something like ā€œchā€™modā€. I think it means ā€œyou knowā€ but Iā€™m not sure. But people use it very often, sometimes in every sentence.

2 Likes

Yes, it does :sunny: From ā€˜chiā€™n gwybodā€™ā€¦ :sunny:

2 Likes

When first started work in a drawing office there was a lovely Polish draughtsman, one of the previous Poles who were stranded here after the war, and he had some delightful fillers: ā€˜that is to sayā€™, ā€˜so to speakā€™ and ā€˜more or lessā€™, and sometimes heā€™s say all three fillers while looking for his next English word. In Welsh are we stuck with a quick chā€™mod or is there something longer?

4 Likes

Yup, my Dadā€™s best mate, also Polish, used to do exactly that interspersed with a fantastic selection of imaginative combinations of swearwords. He was absolutely great and bred my first dogšŸ˜ƒ

1 Like

Or mamgu (mam ghee) in the South

2 Likes

Fillers:

an obvious one is ā€œwelā€.

On RaR I notice ā€œyliā€ a lot, which I think literally means ā€œyou seeā€.

Then there is ā€œ(a) dweud y gwirā€ which is literally ā€œ(to) tell the truthā€, but Gareth Kingā€™s MW Dictionary says is more like ā€œactuallyā€.

ā€¦

Wonder how you would translate ā€œGrandmaā€™sā€ colloquially? ā€œTy Nain (or Mam-gu)ā€ would work presumably, but is there a more natural way?

2 Likes

Is there an equivalent of ''uh" or ā€œumā€ in Welsh?

I think youā€™d usually hear just ā€˜yyyyyā€™ (which sounds like a lengthy ā€˜erā€™) or just ā€˜umā€™ā€¦

2 Likes

Haha, alright, cool.

1 Like