So, this million speakers thing - what are we going to do about it?

Diolch Geraint! Hopefully we get a positive response :smile:

2 Likes

As long as you donā€™t get any negative response. :anguished:

1 Like

How many people do you need to help out Anthony? Iā€™d be happy to join you if needed.

2 Likes

3 could be good actually :smile: be great to have some extra help. I think 3 would be our max.

Be great to have you on board Anne!!

1 Like

Thanks. Will look forward to it.

2 Likes

@AnthonyCusack, I donā€™t know if this is generally accepted by @aran (sorry to tag you but I would like to know if itā€™s ok too) but I remember @Nicky saying in a thread that he hands out CDā€™s with the (free anyway) first course material. CDā€™s arenā€™t really expensive. Maybe a small ā€œlearn Welsh starter packā€ could be made up with a CD, business card, flyer with a list of local chat sessions to practise your new found skill and one of them orange speech bubble Cymraeg badges that are free. Maybe only give them out to people who are genuinely keen and get them to promise to pass the CD on to a friend once they reach the end and have signed up to the website.

I bet there are a lot of people on here, including me, that are waiting to hear how you get on. You are kind of like the guinea pig. Go get 'em.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good idea. Iā€™ll wait for Aranā€™s reply before I make any. My computer is also a silly Mac and doesnā€™t have a CD drive, so will have to hunt. Whats the most easily use able format to save the lessons in? (Again, I have a mac and know theyā€™re the bain of everyone elseā€™s lives.

2 Likes

What I did with mine was just buy a batch of CD-Rs from my local Poundland, think they were about 5 for a Ā£1 (I know you can get better deals if you look online, but the shop is 2 mins from my house and I can pick them up when I need them).

Iā€™ve tended to make two different versions of the CD, based on who I give the CD to.

Version 1: An audio CD with just Course 1, Lessons 1 and 2.
I tend to give this version to people that are either totally starting brand new, or people who I know would really struggle with the concept of putting a CD into a computer and extracting MP3 files and then actually doing something with them.

Version 2: A data CD with the MP3 files for Course 1 (That is already free)
I tend to give this version out to people who I know are a bit more technically ā€˜au-faitā€™, people who would have no problem with going home, chucking the CD in their machine and copying the files down to their iPhone, mobile, or some other device.
I also tend to put an explanatory text file on this CD, with a guide to what the course is, the link to SSIW website, explaining about the forum, where you can get the next (paid) lessons from, plus a copy and paste of all of the meeting groups that are listed in the weekly SSIW mail.

Iā€™ve given these out to about maybe 15 people so far? And I know that at least 3 of those are now fully paid up members around these parts.

One place I see this idea working well, is when you run into people who say ā€œOh, Iā€™d love to learn Welsh but Iā€™ve never had the opportunityā€ - Well, looky here in my bag, here isā€¦ literallyā€¦ a whole course of Welsh, 12.5 hours of Welsh learning for FREE! You have no excuse now!

My CDs have the Iestyn/South/Hwntw version, but you can change this to suit your location.

4 Likes

That sounds great to me. Iā€™ll be back from a few days in north Wales, observing how Aran runs the 5-day intensive courses, so that will really suit me too.

Iā€™ll email you the PNG file for the business cards now. I tried to upload it here, but it just shows the image instead of giving you a link to download it.

2 Likes

Perfect! I havenā€™t managed to get hold of anyone this morning but Iā€™ll get it booked today.

1 Like

The other alternative is to do a mixed mode CD that contains an audio version of lessons 1 and 2 and the mp3 versions of subsequent lessons on the left-over space. I think we tried this at the Glyn Ebwy Eisteddfod as a ā€˜starter packā€™ along with a badge. You may need pro CD burner software to build this, though.

Edited to add: https://cdburnerxp.se/help/miscellaneous/mixedmode

2 Likes

Hi @Deborah-SSi, is it possible to email that PNG to me too so I could get some made up? I still find it the best way to tell people about the course. I ran out aaaaaages ago.

1 Like

Slight change of plan, the space isnā€™t available until Wednesday 1st November is this OK with you Dee and Anne?

1 Like

I tried sending it to an email address I had for you but it bounced. Do you want to PM me the best one to use?

Yes, I think so. Nothing on the calendar :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So exciting!!

2 Likes

November 1st sheould be fine for me too .

3 Likes

How awesome is this?

:star: :star2: :dizzy: damn Iā€™ve run out of stars.

Diolch o waelod calon i chi gyd :heart: :heart_decoration:

3 Likes

You can pick up a portable cd/dvd burner that plugs in to USB for Ā£10-20.

You can also get custom CDs printed, or CD labels printed. (I used these guys for a DVD once, and they were very good: https://weprint.avery.co.uk/category/e-media.html).

Pushes the price up past 20p a disc though, but they do look very slick.

Bound to be a print at home option available as well i.e. buy some labels, run them through the printer.

2 Likes

I wonder if we, as a group, could order a crap load of CDā€™s and share the cost.

ETA, it makes it more complicated with north/south material. Never mind. :rolling_eyes:

2 Likes

A crap load of south, and a crap load of north, perhapsā€¦

2 Likes