So, this million speakers thing - what are we going to do about it?

I think in this thread we’re just getting hands up from people who are willing to be part of the project…

Then in the ‘What are the problems?’ thread we’re trying to collect and collate the main challenges…

In the ‘Organising the project itself’ thread we’re trying to make sure that we get a decent set of initial structures…

And then I think we’ll kick off a small number of threads focusing on particular key areas where we’ll start doing some idea generation…

How does that sound? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d like to be involved in the discussions/ideas side of things but I’m a little confused as to which thread to follow.
I have a Trello account: @adriangraves

1 Like

I am happy to be involved in whatever way I can.

I can’t find the link to the Trello board. (I think I’ve got an account somewhere…)

1 Like

I think we’ll be building a bunch of different threads for different things - focusing on the threads in the ‘Million Speakers Project’ section will be best - while this thread stays open on the general forum for people to put their hands up to get involved… :slight_smile:

It’s got lost somewhere in the ‘problems’ thread, I think - I’ll set up a separate ‘Joining us on Trello’ thread to make it more findable… :slight_smile:

Perfect!

1 Like

Yes, all sounds great.

These threads could sound like possible candidates for inclusion into a special folder, as was suggested in the thread about making the forum more friendly.

Having said that, I don’t see a problem in us finding the threads using Aran’s explanation (above) as a reference point.

1 Like

Done! I think, if we’re talking about the same thing - click on ‘Welsh’ up there, and you’ll see a ‘Million Speakers Project’ section… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wish I could be helpful, but I think that living in the US and not having been to Wales, I don’t have the kind of insight I need to be useful. (When I started learning two years ago, I thought everyone in Wales spoke Welsh :blush: I’ve learned a lot from this forum!) But I’m definitely following all the discussions, and I’ll chime if I feel I can contribute. I think this SSiW initiative is brilliant! :star:

4 Likes

I think having input from people who don’t live in Wales is going to be one of the great strengths of this project… :star: :star2:

2 Likes

I think we need external view points to see if they sound realistic, inclusive etc

3 Likes

Diolch am hynny! Then I’ll see what I can do! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am more than happy to help!

1 Like

I’m in.

1 Like

Great idea. If not a physical place, then at least a group. I suppose to some extent this already exists with SSiW group meetups. @Sam84 Have you put this idea in the main idea dump threads? Might be worth it if you haven’t. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good idea. I will do that now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy to be involved in anyway I can. For what it’s worth it seems to me that: 1. There is no point in teaching children to speak Welsh in school (the main thrust of the strategy) if they default to English as soon as the leave the building. There seems to be an idea that there is no point in trying to speak Welsh in ‘the real world’ because hardly anyone else does so ‘normalising’ the language is vital. Why not, therefore, a campaign to make BBC Wales start every new bulletin with eg. ‘Hello/S’mae’, provide a 5 minute ‘headlines’ programme in Welsh a couple of times a day etc, so non-speakers hear it more and begin to realise it is for real. (Also maybe back to starting every conversation in Welsh, badges for everyone in shops, cafes etc prepared to speak Welsh?). 2 The idea that if you can’t speak it perfectly you can’t speak it at all is poisonous. Convincing people it’s ok to speak it badly - because that’s the way you get to speak it well - is equally vital, otherwise tens of thousands of people perfectly able to communicate in Welsh will continue to hide their light under a bushel until it goes out. (Sorry, rant over)

9 Likes

I’ll help in any way I can.
I live in England.

1 Like

This no doubt goes without saying, Tatjana, but actually it’s really valuable for the Welsh speaking community to have people like yourself in countries outside Wales, taking an interest in the language. Just by taking an interest you make a contribution, and I think all of us appreciate and value that.

6 Likes

Thank you @daimorgan. However I feel I’m slowly loosing a grip …

1 Like

Absolutely! This is a cue for me to relate a nice story that happened to us in a pub in Oban a few days ago. We were at a bingo night (don’t ask), and we overheard someone talking about gwin coch in the back. Turns out there was a busload of Welsh tourists there also. They couldn’t believe that an Australian was learning Welsh, but they seemed excited about it. End result was a great night carrying on in Welsh and drinking wine, fantastic.

5 Likes