So, I'm not all that fond of Facebook, but...!

I’m not all that fond of our Facebook group - it seems to be too easy for people to think it’s a normal part of Facebook and to start arguments with each other, which virtually never happens here on the forum…

Having said that, it is kind of awesome when it means that someone like Meinir Gwilym helps answer a question from a learner:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/74367868372/permalink/10153446557348373/

Would you get someone like Joni Mitchell or Madonna popping in to help an English learner? I rather suspect not…:wink:

5 Likes

How ironic is that?

A learner asks a question, gets an answer from one of the most popular singer-songwriters we’ve ever had, and doesn’t even bother to say thank you! And then gets stroppy with me when I suggest that she ought to say thank you - a dyna ni, another ban from the group.

We just don’t get behaviour like that on the forum.

3 Likes

Maybe she was expecting a second opinion from Bryn Terfel or something. :wink:

5 Likes

Learnt loads of vocab listening to - Dim Ond Clwydda - on loop.

2 Likes

I just had lunch with a vicar friend and we were talking about how a lot of the common courtesies we grew up with are lacking in many people: The simple please and thank you which can get you so far in life lost to many. Sadly, many people seemingly aren’t taught them nowadays…

3 Likes

I think you are right. It reminds me of when my daughter was in her early teens. After her birthday and lots of help and gifts for her party, she said; “do you know Mum, I am the only one in my class who has to write thank you letters.” I can’t even remember my reply but interestingly, she has taught her little boy to do the same. :blush:

4 Likes

Said every generation about the following one since the Bronze age. I even catch myself doing it. Along with complaining that kids today have no revolutionary spirit and wouldn’t have the first idea how to vandalise a phone box. :blush:

8 Likes

Sadly lacking in the young. Our Grandson asked me why there was no phone in a (disused) phone box. I told him it was so that people who were having a pee wouldn’tbe disturbed. Cue blank look and another emotional scar, poor child😀

7 Likes

I was conscious that I didn’t put - many young people as I see it in older people too. I do say fairly regularly though: when young people are raised right their as good as my ggggeneration.
Youth is wasted on the young though…

6 Likes

Or snog in a bus shelter. Mind you, the boring councils have ruined that by putting in deliberately uncomfortable seats and making them see-through…

2 Likes

If I don’t know who Meinir Gwilym is (and I don’t) it is quite possible the learner on FB doesn’t. That doesn’t allow for discourtesy, but not everybody has heard of everybody.

1 Like

I would do so for sure no matter how awkward and clumsy I am with no manners in many people’s eyes (so that’s why I’m not the member of the group). This is the first thing one should learn no matter who the person, famous or not, poor or rich, child or adult … I say please and thank you to my both best men - husband and son - on daily basis for each and every thing they do for me and here’s where learning of “prosim” (please) and “hvala” (thank you) should begin - in the family.

So, Meinir Gwilym, I say Diolch yn fawr iawn! instead of her. …

2 Likes

Entirely possible, which is why I explained who she was. But my concern wasn’t that she didn’t say thank you to a well-known Welsh person, but simply that she didn’t say thank you - I’d have made the same comment to anyone I saw firing off questions without bothering to thank people who helped them. And her response about not realising she had to say thank you to everyone was, I thought, very revealing…

1 Like

Incidently, she has a beautiful voice! :blush:

2 Likes

I’m not on facebook, so can’t see the exchange. I don’t want to go on, so shall not try!! However, I know I am a tactless old dragon who talks and writes to everyone what comes into my head and, if someone helps me, I say “diolch yn fawr iawn!” (Literally when very grateful - result, bemused little Scottish doctor when she finally found my missing blood test results and was thanked in exactly those words!!!).

4 Likes