So, anyway

As of today, I’m about 98% sure that I’ve basically finished the framework for Level 3… :sunny:

I’ll be doing a bit more fussing over it for the next week or so, no doubt - but shortly after that, production of the script (via the SSiBorg, our shiny course creation tool) will start.

And we have a live substitute volunteer to help us get to the end of the southern Level 2 recordings, so the next couple of months should see a bunch of new stuff coming down the pipes… :sunny:

27 Likes

Just wonderig … isn’t this more for news category?

And, I’m very happy to hear (read) all this.

News is for ‘has happened’, not ‘98% there’…:wink:

2 Likes

Ah, OK. Will remember that one. :slight_smile: Diolch.

1 Like

This makes me incredibly happy - I’m not sure how much more happiness I can take - but I’m willing to test my threshold when you are 99% and ultimately (palpitations and frothing of the mouth at this point) 100% sure.

Justin

3 Likes

The next steps are marking up the text for the SSiBorg (which is about trying to decide which bits ought to be presented together) - which won’t take long - in fact, I’ll probably have it done the next time Beuno decides to let me sleep all night…

Then it’ll be about producing the script - which will be the first time I’ve used the SSiBorg to build an entire, we’ll-actually-be-recording-this script - which based on my experience playing with the SSiBorg so far, won’t take too long.

Then I’ll get to see the full script - at which point I’ll go from 98% to 99% if I think it shapes up.

Then we’ll record and publish - which again the SSiBorg should make significantly faster - and when the first 20 or so people have got through the first 10 sessions or so, if nobody bursts into tears I’ll go from 99% to 100%.

But although I’ve had to switch some of the perceptions I brought to the L1 and L2 framework, I’m quietly confident that it’s shaping up well, and that people will find it gives their Welsh some enjoyable extra depth… :sunny:

3 Likes

I offer myself up as a sacrifice - and any tears I’m sure will much more likely be induced by hay fever which is running rampant here as the Mimosa blossoms all around,

Justin

2 Likes

I’d be thrilled to test the new material too - I’m finding my life strangely empty without a lesson or three a day… :smile:

3 Likes

This thread is clearly not relevant to a lazy old dragon who is creeping through level 1 of the Challenges, but you have induced envy from icy Scotland by mentioning mimosa!! At least your hay fever has a lovely scent!!!

1 Like

Henddraig fach, thank you so much for this remark) I’m creeping through Course 2, and, looking at the progress of all the people here, who seem to be learning faster than the speed of light (especially my speaking partners), I’m starting to lose confidence a bit.

Don’t do that! You are even colder than I and less likely to have mimosa in March, but I can tell you are miles ahead in Cymraeg!! And I started learning before you were born!! (I just forgot it all!) :sob:

2 Likes

I forgot all my Belarusian, so I understand you here(( It’s not my native language, but I’m living here, so it would be nice to be able to speak it! I can understand it ok, but can’t really speak.

But really - my partners are miles ahead of me in Welsh, and my native speaker partner has to repeat everything to me like 3 times! Very embarrassing! I console myself with the though that snails are slow but determined, so they eventually get where they want to get!

2 Likes

@seren - Have you come across the fable of the hare and the tortoise?

Oh, that was a long time ago, so I forgot the gist.

Stella, don’t lose confidence - you’re doing fantastically, really you are. Everyone learns at different paces, and your life has been quite busy lately - sometimes we just don’t have the hours in the day to do as much as we’d like. And I can see the improvement from when we first started talking to now. We’ve gone from around 10 minutes in Welsh and the rest in English, so a solid 30/45 minutes with no English. That is a huge improvement. :smile:

4 Likes

They have a race. The hare ‘hares off’ and gets way ahead, so he loses concentration, has a rest… goes to sleep and never notices when poor slow tortoise toils by, leaning on his stick… (well he did in my edition of Aesop’s Fables!) So Tortoise wins the race!! Moral: overconfidence is very dangerous, so is lack of persistence. There may be more lessons than that, but Tortoise never gave up, never lost hope or heart… :sunny:
Having read what @Karla said and having seen her on TV, clearly your Cymraeg is brilliant! Rhugl!!

3 Likes

Oh, that is so very sweet:) I’m not likely to give up Welsh - I really love it, and I’m working slowly towards my goal - to be able to read freely in it, but sometimes I just annoy myself and then rant on the forum. I apologize:)

@Karla, thank you. You’re very kind. :sunny:

2 Likes

You’re welcome - it’s true. :smile:

When it comes to reading, you’re way ahead of me - I still struggle on that front. I practice it as often as I can, but I find it very hard work.

1 Like

@seren and @Karla Thank you both! Diolch yn fawr! I shall logout now and get my dinner feeling better for remembering a book I haven’t seen for about 69 years!! It must have got lost in one of our moves, but I realise I now appreciate it from the tortoise’s point of view whereas I used to be the hare!!! That illustration of him with his stick is as vivid in my mind as if I had seen it yesterday!! (He had a slightly naughty little grin! A wise look??!!) :wink:

4 Likes

That used to be one of my favourite fables as a child! I always liked stories where an overconfident bully got their comeuppance. :smile:

2 Likes