Sixteen

I am starting lesson 16 on course 3. Do I understand correctly, that “sixteen” in welsh, would translate something like “one and fifteen” or “een ar pentheg”?

I’m not completely sure, but I think yes. Cymraeg numbering is a strange thing … :slight_smile:

And congrats for your acheavement! Llongyfarchiadau. :slight_smile:

Un ar bymtheg - one on fifteen :smiley:

1 Like

Or “un deg chwech” in modern standard counting! Although I actually like things like ‘two nines’ for eighteen!!

Diolch. So, in modern standard counting, 16 is, one ten six? Would it follow that 11 is one ten one, un deg un, and 12 would be un deg die, 13 un deg tree…etc?

Diolch un fawer

Exactly!!! (Although 2 is dai and three is tri, unless they’re female when it’s dwi and tair) At least that is what I was taught!! Of course, that was at least 18 years ago!! @aran Can you help @davidhamilton here?? :sunny:

Yes, I think I understand. As I am still working on speaking, my writing and spelling is still vey phonetic.

Diolch.

Yes, absolutely :sunny:

Yup, this is taught in vocab lessons (3rd or 4th, don’t remember well anymore) after Course 1. So if you’re curious about numbers you can go through those 2 or 3 and you’ll hear. However you will learn numbers only to 10 and not futher.

Yes, I remember numbers 1-10. it’s the numbers beyond 10 that I am trying to get my mind around. They haven’t come up in the lessons themselves, except to introduce each lesson.

Yes, I know, What I wanted to point out those different structures for 2 and 3 for feminine and not specifically the numbers upon 10 though.

I think the “traditional” numbers are used for specific things - like telling time and dates. Or am I off track here?

Ah, yes. indeed. Diolch.

“Officially” [as we know, and celebrate, there is no officially in Welsh] the old numbers are used for dates and times and ages. However, a large number of people use them as a matter of course for everyday things (I do most of the time because they’re more fun).
The ‘new’ numbers are used for maths in schools and because of that they’re more generally used for everyday stuff by younger people.
If you listen to something like the rugby commentary on Radio Cymru, you might notice that they alternate giving out reminders of the score in the old and new systems - a tacit acknowledgement, perhaps, that both systems are in regular, everyday use.
Also, let’s address the elephant in the room. That one over there. English numbers are used by a great many Welsh speakers, especially when it comes to money and (to a slightly lesser extent in my experience) dates. No point being judgemental about it, it’s just the way it is.

2 Likes

I like that flexibility. I could see it becoming confusing though.

I agree, but un deg, dai ddeg, tri ddeg, etc. is a whole lot easier to learn!! I have to search out the old forms because I lazily ignored them very scientifically once I found the simple school maths version!!!

1 Like

I love those one. Those are 11, 12, 13 … yes? Well we in Slovene say “deset” to 10 but then we go for “enajst” 11, “dvanajst” 12, “trinajst” 13 what is quite (almost) similar so easier to learn. :slight_smile: This was helpful. Thank you.

Sorry Tatjana fach,eleven is un deg un, twelve is un deg dai etc, twenty is dai ddeg, twenty one is dai ddeg un, 26 is dai ddeg chewch, 35 is tri deg pimp, 47 is pedwar deg saith, 59 is pim ddeg naw, 60 is chewch deg, 70 saith deg, 80 wyth deg, 96 naw deg chwech, 100 cant, 1000 mil. If my memory is correct!!!

Aha, then 10=“deset”, 20=“dvajste”, 30=“trideset” etc, etc … also very similar. :slight_smile: because 1=“ena”, 2=“dva”, 3=“tri”, 4=“štiri”, 5=“pet”, 6=“šest”, 7=“sedem”, 8=“osem”, 9=“devet” …

26=“šestindvajset”, 35=“petintrideset”, 47=“sedeminštirideset”, 59=“devetinpetdeset”, 60=“šestdeset”, 70=“sedemdeset”, 80=“osemdeset”, 96=“šestindevetdeset”, 100=“sto”, 1000=“tisoč” or “entisoč” (what is rearly used)

So now you can count in Slovene and it really isn’t so different (in terms of stucture) from Cymraeg, besides that we write number alltogether and don’t devide nuimbers like “pet deset” for example and that’s why you’ll often hear native Slovene speaker saying “pedeset” instead of “petdeset”. Will record this later on for the curiousity of all who want to hear how it goes but will put it into “=ther languages” category not to mess with this topic no more then I already did. :slight_smile: