Sheesh - now Wrecsam council want to take down Saith Seren's flags

You wrote “Well, I’ve sent my e-mail in Saith Seren support”

You have just taken a very kind and beautiful stance in aid of a worthy cause -
diolch yn fawr iawn,

Justin

3 Likes

Thank you very much in deed, Justin. I did my best not to try to “fight” or go on attacking someone.

2 Likes

I have much experience of the law and legalese. My dad worked in Local Government and I heard his mutterings as I grew up!! Then I worked in Radiation Safety and had to know various Acts of Parliament. One thing I learned was that Bills were written in clear English that normal people (which includes most MPs) can understand. When the Bill is passed, it goes to a special Department which has the job of making the new Act legally enforceable. To do this they use nasty ‘legal’ English, which lawyers are trained to understand, but which includes zillions of clauses and sub clauses and whereto and wherefores…Why they insist on labelling numbers as such… my writing is terrible, My 5s look like ‘s’s’!! So if you write 5 flag poles. putting 5 no makes some sense, I suppose.
Perhaps if they spelled the numbers and applied for four flag poles at the front and two at the back, that would be allowed!!! (Not the application, just the wording!!!)
p.s. I got tangled on their web site, I’ll try again later, but it may be that the Listed Building regs specify a limit to flag pole numbers!!
To all::
It is nothing to do with flying y ddraig goch, what is flying from the pole is irrelevant. It is the actual pole that needs consent!!

1 Like

Well for those not on the Saith Seren mailing list, this is what they have recently sent out:

Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 10:02 AM
Baneri Saith Seren

Mae’n rhaid inni wneud cais cynllunio i gyngor Wrecsam ar gyfer ein Baneri Cymreig. Mae swyddogion y cyngor wedi dweud wrthym byddai’n well ganddyn nhw ini gael dim ond dwy faner. Ar hyn o bryd, oherwydd y tywydd garw does dim baneri yn hedfan. Mae’r baneri wedi bod yn hedfan ers mis Mai. Roedd hyn mewn ymateb i’n hymgyrch i gadw Saith Seren ar agor. Mae’r baneri yn gwneud yr adeilad mwy gweladwy a hefyd i hyrwyddo ein hanes lleol a chenedlaethol.

Rydym wedi gwneud cais am 6 baner. Hoffem gael dwy ar ochr Stryd Gaer. Mae’n bosib i bobl gwneud sylwad o gefnogwch, nail ai trwy lythyr neu ar-lein yn Gymraeg neu yn Saesneg. Rhif ein cais yw P/2015/0936.

Diolch

We have been asked to submit a planning application to Wrecsam council for our Welsh flags at Saith Seren. Council officers have told us they would prefer to see 2 of the flags taken down and we are hoping to challenge this, (the flags are not currently flying due to recent bad weather). The 4 flags were put up following the campaign to save Saith Seren in May after suggestions from our members to make the building more visible and also to promote our local and national history.

We have now submitted a planning application for 6 flags (we’d like another Draig Goch and Glyndwr banner for the other side of the building) and it would be great to get some letters of support to go in with it which may well make a big difference to the application. You can make comments on line in Welsh or in English. Planning application number is P/2015/0936

Thankyou
http://planning.wrexham.gov.uk/Planning/lg/plansearch.page?org.apache.shale.dialog.DIALOG_NAME=gfplanningsearch&Param=lg.Planning

1 Like

Ah yes, that makes sense! Interesting, ta!

1 Like

mind you, I’m not entirely sure of the accuracy of this statement… :wink:

@henddraig’s post in Saving S4C just reminded me about this matter here. I’ve forgotten to the whole thing a bit but went to check the status of the application just now.

For God’s sake this is still pending!

But it’s better then being declined though …

1 Like

The mills of the (local government) gods grind slowly (especially around Christmas and New Year times).

3 Likes

Yup, I thought so. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t believe it! This is still PENDING!

I now wonder how long one waits for something like this to be decided in UK? I thought such speed of decisions we only have in our country.

But OK, better to be pending then rejected though.

Traditionally in the UK we like to under-fund our public services in order that we can then complain with righteous fury about how bad they are.

3 Likes

Aha … Will check out in a month or so if there’s something new then. I just hope I don’t see word “rejected” signed under whole thing.

I would say, since the 1945 Labour Government came in with the idea of taxing the rich to pay for services, the reluctance to pay has grown and grown and services have become gradually worse. In the 40s, ordinary people still marveled that they could see the doctor for free!! Service providers don’t like saying ‘no’, so delay is the result!!!

Ohhh, is this UK or Slovenia. We’re encountering this all the time. One could (almost literally) die before they get to the “free” service … So, … the happenings and history repeate all the time enswhere in the World obviously.

I may have given a false impression. Our NHS isn’t that bad. Delays, yes, death, rarely. Complaints…zillions!! Mind, I live in Scotland!!! We have fewer delays and fewer complaints than in England, I think. Mainly, Health and Education get all money that is raised, other services like planning, libraries, swimming pools etc… they suffer and suffer and dwindle and … :weary:

For the change of ours which all claim they don’t get enough money …

Well, but this is another story…

I hope Saith Seren gets what they’ve applied for. One day I might just sit there at the table having my coffi gwyn, enjoying the sounds of iaith Cymraeg, probably being more quiet then I am now. - hehe. Hope the dreams come true one day …

Don’t forget, it will be only one of many decisions the council has to deal with, e.g. new building, alterations to buildings, etc.
I would guess planning meetings are done on a monthly cycle, and if an application is too late for a meeting, then it has to wait a month for the next. Then they have to look at any representations from the public. I could see it taking easily 2 or 3 months.

Aha. Will remember that when I peer next time onto the case page. :slight_smile: Diolch.

1 Like

To @aran I believe you are in contact with the folk at Saith Seren. I have discovered (not difficult) that the only Welsh representative on the Commons Select Committee on Culture, Media and Sport is the MP for Wrecsam. Could you ask folk who visit Saith Seren to contact their MP and ask him to try to get decent funding restored to S4C? Liz Saville Roberts MP (Plaid) is doing a good job on the Welsh Affairs Select Committee, but I do not know how much thought the MP for Wrecsam has given to the value of Welsh Language Broadcasting.

1 Like

I’m afraid Ian Lucas is not exactly known for his support of the Welsh language…