Sgwrs 26 (Advanced Content) - Spoilerssss!

Well, here’s a bit of a treat for you - it’s SSiW’s very own @siaronjames this week! A south Walian who lives up north now as you may know, so hard to pin down the accent! And who knew Siaron used to row for Wales! Such luminaries in our midst! Enjoy!

11 Likes

I’m stealing myself to listen to it - I hate my own voice in recordings! :joy::joy:

6 Likes

Wow a SSiW resident star! :wink:

p.s. everybody hates their own recorded voice, except maybe great singers! :smiley:

4 Likes

just noticed I’m number 26 - my lucky number, believe it or not!

Not lucky enough to prevent a load of grammatical mistakes, but see folks it just goes to show how mis-gendering, mis-mutating, mis-conjugating, etc, should never get in the way of a conversation! :flushed::joy:

8 Likes

@siaronjames. What??? :smiley: You kept that quiet last night. I can’t wait to listen. Fair play to you. Even Glenda (my wife) is really looking forward to reading the transcripts.

4 Likes

hehehe. well as a some-time percussionist, I try not to blow trumpets! :wink:

…besides which, it may have been so bad that Beca might have changed her mind! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Arrr what a lovely Sgwrs - I really enjoyed that!

One of my favourites :slight_smile: :+1:

Rich

2 Likes

Just what I was going to say, @siaronjames ! Talking to us last night and not so much as a hint! :angry::sweat_smile:

Lovely scwrs and great to have a familiar voice to follow along with. LLongyfarchiadau!

3 Likes

That was most enjoyable. One of the best. I loved the bit where you mentioned rowing because I thought “Yes! Siaron talked about that on Show and Tell.”
Sue

2 Likes

First thing I have to say is that even in the parts when I didn’t understand what you were talking about, all the laughters and @siaronjames lively way of telling things…made listening more fun!

As a forumist and occasional Slack -groups participant I had a previous knowledge of a few topics so an advantage on understanding those. :grin:

Then a few music-related names were familiar and so is the parts about language learning of which I can usually understand quite a bit.

As for language style and accent, some parts are very clear: could be the choice of words, and throwing in a few English expressions in the flow does always help me a lot understanding - I guess she got used to dealing with confused learners like me in chat groups? :rofl:

Talking about difficulties, in the South East in particular, I met very fluent speakers - second language learners and out of Welsh-medium education alike - who pronounce a few words in a way that in my mind are linked a bit more to English than Welsh (or at least Datblyguian Welsh that’s in my ears especially).
So I noticed I tend to be confused by those as much as by some really odd Gog accents. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And from time to time, when they all seem to enjoy themselves a lot, Siaron speaks almost as fast as Beca, or is it my impression? :wink:

3 Likes

I found this to be one of the clearest so far. Yes, Siaron did speed up slightly once she felt comfortable with Beca, especially talking about their work together, but thats only natural.

Also, the conversation reminded us of Siaron’s dedication to the language, to SSiW and to us SSiWers. Its easy to underestimate the influence that Siaron is having on our development.

So, yes, give Siaron’s Friday Hangout a go. You won’t look back.

4 Likes

Aw, thank you all for your kind remarks so far :blush:

I do try to remember to speak a bit slower in the hangouts… honest!

4 Likes

(following from another thread)
I had heard Bob Delyn a’r Ebillion before - and I remembered I had enjoyed a few of their songs. So I searched and found one of the videos I had seen - in which I remember I had spotted Pat Datblygu accidentally (or not?) in the audience.

But seeing it now, in the light of recent findings, I saw it again and noticed there might be someone else to spot in there - even though a bit hidden by a tree. :wink: :sunglasses:
…ever played a tambourine with them?

p.s. I had posted this by mistake in the other thread, trying to re-post here even though I get messages it’s too similar to another I’ve just written. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

yes, among other things! :joy:

Well spotted!

2 Likes

Like what other instruments? In Welsh, so I can have a list of names! :wink::grin:

By the way, what’s the horn-like instrument the man next to the saxophone player (in the video) is playing? it sounds a bit like a bagpipe without the bag!
Never seen that before.

1 Like

various percussion instruments depending on which song - most of which don’t have Welsh names e.g. bodhran, rainstick, chatterbox, triangle (triongl !), lots of different shakers… Also backing vocals when the proper backing singer wasn’t available.

The bagpipe-without-the-bag is a bombard - it’s a traditional Breton instrument.

2 Likes

I suppose you already did Show and Tell episodes talking about those (or some of those) instruments, did you?

When I searched bombard I get plenty of cannons :astonished: and a few instruments that in fact quite look like pipes without the bag.
I was trying to describe the sound, while the instrument looks like this:

Still a bombard or something else?

1 Like

ah, no, sorry - Einion usually played a bombard but on this occasion (I forgot and didn’t check the video) he was playing a pibgorn (Welsh hornpipe).

2 Likes

Some of them have appeared on there, yes - plus some others I didn’t happen to use in that band! :wink:

2 Likes

In case anyone wants to watch, the documentary on Meic Stevens that I mentioned in my chat with Beca will be on S4C this Saturday (October 19th 2019) at 9pm and available on S4C Clic/BBC iPlayer for 35 days afterwards :slight_smile:

3 Likes