Self introduction

I think you’re right about the repetition trap. I fell into it again with challenge 10, I’m afraid. I’ll try not to worry about making mistakes, but it’s difficult to let go and just relax. I’ve made some mistakes with lesson 11, but not enough to cause me to want to repeat it. The learning process is actually a lot of fun, and I can feel my Welsh knowledge increasing daily.

1 Like

Hi. I think it would be really interesting to learn Slovine. If I remember correctly, it’s one of the few languages in Europe with a dual conjugation for verbs.

1 Like

You remember correctly and when you come to it it’s not such fun anymore as even native speakers can’t use it many times. It varies from gender to gender (we have 3 genders - feminine, muscoline and neutral) and time in which one thing happens of course (as in many other languages). Then here’s one more thing. In coloquial language (as also in written language) we often leave subject out because with varying of verb we can also say who is the subject. For example: If I say “Jaz grem domov.” (I’m going home.), we often simply say “Grem domov.” (II’m going home.) If I trensfer this into past I went home would be “Jaz sem šel domov.” BUT “Šel sem domov.” if we leave subject out so the sentence structure is a bit different aswell. This applies to both “everyday” Slovene, (what is to be learnt here at SSi with any language) and literary one.

So, you see, many difficulties stands on the way of Slovene to be learnt easily and from that angle my suggestion it to be the last one language made at SSi if ever at all. BUT! I know many people who learnt to speak Slovene very fluently so it’s not impossible of course, however even those taught well many times are not quite capable of using duality.

(Well, sorry, but I just had to explain this despite I’ve explained it elswhere in the past). :slight_smile:

1 Like