Seeing as well as hearing

Thank you for all this. I finding it quite difficult to navigate this site, and also therefore to get going every day.
Is there an easy way for me to SEE the words I am practicing speaking? Being so visual I feel I would learn and understand more quickly. I have seen the vocabulary option but it is empty!
I tried with Lesson 1, then found that the revision of that Lesson had far more on it than the original lesson. What have I done wrong?
I am really keen to get on with this, but have a lot going on… want to do well but worried I am messing up already. Agh.
Thank you. (So many questions right at the beginning).

5 Likes

Hi Griselda,

First things first, a very warm welcome to Forum! :slight_smile:

Secondly, there is no need to worry or think that you are messing up…there are always people around who can help and there will be answers.

Just so I can understand a bit more, can I ask which course you are doing?..

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Croeso, Griselda (Welcome). I totally understand the need to see the words to help with pronunciation. I started before the most recent changes, so my information may be dated. But on the Frequently Asked Questions section SaySomethingin about the ninth question down is a section called, ‘Where can I find the lesson guides and how should I use them?’ Under that section is a list of PDFs you can download. Hopefully one of those will correspond to what you are learning.

Also, after you’ve been to the site a few times, navigation gets easier. I generally use my laptop to access the forum, and I’ve found the easiest way to navigate is to click on 'General/Questions link underneath the name of the thread. It will take you back to the General section. See attached photo showing the gray link underneath your thread, “Seeing as well as hearing.”
test1

3 Likes

Hi there
I think with every challenge there is a little “Vocabulary List” underneath the button Mark Done. You can click on it and a window will pop up. I usually copy this list into an email and send to myself, just for curiosity more than anything. I’m finding it incredibly refreshing to learn a language by focusing predominantly (or almost entirely) on the spoken word rather than the written. It is joyful to not feel bogged down in grammar :slight_smile:
Cheers
Caz

4 Likes

A croeso i ti eto caz-and welcome to you too!
Already helping too :+1:
For those who like and have the need on them :wink: for being bogged…use the spy-glass and search away :hushed:

2 Likes

A very warm welcome to the forum to @griselda and @caz-dennett :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Croeso yma efo Aran a Catrin i seren teledu welcome here with @aran @CatrinLliarJones the television stars (Hwb) as your hosts

1 Like

I understand this urge – and I realise that everyone’s different, so perhaps for you it’s a stronger one than for me – but I would suggest that, as far as you can bear to, you resist it. (Maybe just till the end of each lesson.)

Th reason I’m saying this is that when I was at university I did some Old Norse. Modern Icelandic is very similar to Old Norse, and Old Norse is often taught with a Modern Icelandic accent; so we had a lady who came in once a week for a term or so to do some conversational Modern Icelandic with us. In the first lesson she came in and said ‘Hello’ to us (using the single-person masculine form that we were to learn, even though she was speaking to all of us). She did this before allowing us to look at our handouts, so when she said con dy saell (I’m respelling the Icelandic as if it were Welsh, which kind of works better than English to show the pronunciation) we all dutifully repeated con dy saell, despite feeling clueless and uncomfortable about it. Then she told us we could look at our handouts, where it said kom ðu sæll (“Come thou fortunate!” literally), and we breathed a sigh of relief; she said con dy saell to us again, and we all repeated com ddw saell. And then she pointed out to us that we had all got it right before we saw the handout, but that we had all switched our ears off the moment we were allowed to read it.

It felt much better to be able to see what we were supposed to be saying, and we all felt more relaxed – and our accent was much, much worse. If you can hold off reading for as long as you can bear to, it’ll make you a lot less comfortable, but it’ll also make you really work hard with your ears, and that will probably really help your accent.

The course has been through some revisions and changes, and I don’t know how it looks to new users – and it might depend on what device you were using – but it’s possible that you’ve been looking at older and newer versions of the same thing, which is why they’re different. If you can remember any specific key details of phrases that were different between the two, @aran(or others) might be able to tell you which is which.

6 Likes

That sounds as though you’ve accidentally switched between the Courses (the old material) and the Levels - I’d recommend you keep to the Levels… :slight_smile: