Scared of practising with others!

Are you an introvert by any chance? I found it really hard to speak Welsh to anyone (even including a holiday to Wales where I didn’t speak a word!) and felt so ashamed. But then I realised that I was expecting myself to speak more Welsh than I would in my normal English day! I have managed one conversation so far in the Slack group but I haven’t had the courage to try again (it is hard for someone who doesn’t feel comfortable with new people even in English). If you have any non-Welsh speaking family, I have found it useful to say a sentence or two in Welsh to them and then translate as they are more familiar people and don’t even know if you make a mistake.

1 Like

That applies to quite a lot of your fellow learners, too…

1 Like

:joy:

1 Like

@Wren In many ways I am an introvert, yes. I am not great at taking to people I don’t know, and would rather avoid it, yet friends express surprise if I tell them that as they assume I am confident in social situations. So a Slack hangout was a big step for me to take. It IS getting easier the more often I do it, though. Great idea speaking Welsh to non-Welsh speakers and then translating for them - as you say, they would have no idea! :joy:

1 Like