SaySomethingInEsperanto?

Nune, estas ĉirkaŭ 800,000 gestudoj kiuj lernas esperanton! There are currently 800,000 students learning Esperanto. It seems to be a very popular bridging language. I have been using it for about 30 years.

2 Likes

Just to revive this thread (hope no-one minds) — I’ve been intrigued by Esperanto on and off over the years and am now seriously thinking about taking it up, especially as there’s a Duolingo course. (I tried Duolingo French a few years ago and really enjoyed it, though I didn’t get all that far; my fault, not the language’s.) I like the thought of a language that’s super-easy to learn and puts you in touch with people around the world who also want to make friends and communicate across language barriers and cultures. There’s a lovely philosophy behind it, really, I think.

But I should add that if we had a SaySomethingInEsperanto course, that would REALLY tip me over the edge and I would just HAVE to learn it then… :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Edit: Forgot to mention, I found a very nice encouraging article from The Guardian online here: “Saluton!”: the surprise return of Esperanto

1 Like

PS. I’ve just tried the first few lessons of Duolingo Esperanto and they’re OK but pretty dry — nothing like speaking a language for real — and with almost no audio. I think we definitely need SSiEsperanto please… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Saluton! Se vi volas lerni esperantan iru al “lernu.net”. Ĉi tie vi frovos kurson pri esperanto. Ĝi estas tute senpaga.

If you want to learn Esperanto go to “Lernu.net.” The courses are free and you can choose English as the language you want to use for the course. There are currently 1,000,000+ using this site to study Esperanto.

Steve

1 Like

Just came across an old post regarding “devus”

Mi devis iri. I had to go
Mi devas iri. I must go
Mi devus iri. I ought to go.

Mi devus iri hejmen. I ought to go home
I ought to have gone home.
I would have to go home.
I would have to have gone home.

Devus - ought and the other forms mean must. Mi devus ne devi esti sklavo. I shouldn’t have to be a slave.

1 Like