Rut Busters

Helo pawb,
This will doubtless resonate with a few people, I seem to have hit a bit of a rut. Not really sure why, I think life just got in the way for a while, and I’m conscious that I haven’t done any Welsh for longer than I would have liked.

You know those moments where you think, “I have absolutely no idea where to start?” I’m having one of those.

I’d love to hear your ‘rut busting’ tips, hopefully this will help me get back on track.

How about

1. New course 1, give that a try, it’s a real confidence booster
  2. Try just listening for a while to anything in Welsh just to get that rhythm back
  3. Read something light if you like reading stuff, a couple of pages of Blodwen Jones?
  4. Sing something ( Yes, I know I’m the last person who should be suggesting this but probably everyone else is not similarly challenged :slight_smile:
  5. A few naughty phrases - Clwb Malu Cachu website will oblige

I find when I take the pressure off myself with a couple of dodges like that, I can concentrate again before long.

Pob lwc a thria ymlacio :slight_smile:

5 new sessions all in a row with no pause button (followed by an Indian head massage!)…:slight_smile:

That sounds like a good idea! I have a day off on my own coming up soon, so I’ll give it a bash.

Do the first lesson again, and then back to where you were.

That sounds like a good idea!

Fab - let us know how it goes…:smile:

David, missed this because I have been away. Last time I felt like this I got onto youtube and watched loads of videos about Wales, its music, countryside etc. It reminded me why Iwas so desperate to learn the language. When I got back to the lessons it was easy!!!

Hope you are back into the swing of things now!!!

Hi, David -

The thing that worked for me is a bit of a combination of Aran and Andy. I was stuck somewhere in the middle of Course 3 and found I just didn’t care anymore. I realized for me the issue was that SSiW has been the only thing I’ve been doing with Welsh for the past year and a half. It has been FANTASTIC, but a year and a half of anything gets a bit monotonous. My way out was to reflect on all the things I’d like to do with Welsh after SSiW. I got excited about those and said to myself ‘how fast can I plow through the rest of SSiW and get on to the things that excite me now?’ The speed has been nowhere near Aran’s suggestion, but it busted me through the rut and I’m moving along faster than I ever have… and at my current rate will be done with Course 3 by the end of June.

Woohoo!

I hope that you’re able to find some techniques that work with you. I think Andy really has the key: getting back in touch with why you want to learn Welsh and what inspires you now. Find what you are authentically motivated to do, and go for it!

I came back from Nant in March, feeling really positive. I’d done the Uwch course AND met up with Aran in the pub in Llithfaen. Since then I’ve been speaking Welsh at home all the time. I’m in the fortunate position that my wife and kids have always spoken Welsh to each other, so I have three vociferous critics to “help” me. In spite of that, there are times when I’ve just come home from work, fed up, lacking energy and enthusiasm, and I just can’t get the Welsh words I want to say to come out. It’s very frustrating. Often it feels like I’ve forgotten even the simplest things.

So I’ve gone back to the beginning of SSiW Course 1, and am starting from scratch, filling in the gaps. The other thing I need to do is seek out more situations where I’m going to need to speak Welsh.

So I’ve gone back to the beginning of SSiW Course 1

For someone with as much Welsh as you, I’d strongly recommend you skip the older material and go straight for Level 1, which will be much more interesting/challenging for you.

And a very warm welcome to a forum you’re going to find disconcertingly friendly and polite…:wink:

Dan, there are two regulars in our Monday night Saith Seren sessions in a very similar situation to you: partner and children able to speak Welsh. You have an amazing opportunity to take your learning to the next level by making the (really brave and scary) move of banning English from the house no matter how frustrating it would be. Anyone who has ever survived a bootcamp will vouch for how powerful an experience it is, I can only dream of experiencing this full-time.

Back on topic … I too need a kick up the bum as far as lessons are concerned. I’m still doing all the other stuff (watching S4C, reading, Skype, Saith Seren, etc.) but really need to go over some of the old stuff and get cracking with the new stuff. I know first hand what being in a rut is like but it will pass, you will get moving again. :wink:

COULD YOU GO TO THE YSGOL HAF AT THE PRIF YSGOL BANGOR?.. GIVES A REAL LIFT. ALSO HAVE YOU GOT A SKYPE FRIEND WITH WHOM YOU VCAN TALK…THIS REALLY KEEPS YOUR INTEREST GOING. MY SKYPE IS margaret and walter steinmann (I think that’s right.) Otherwise you can get it from" avel.glav.hag.heol" she has my address-
Margaret

After having a break I get my motivation back by redoing the last lesson I did and being impressed by how much I’ve actually remembered!
I also use twitter and write a blog, so when I’m not motivated to do lessons, I’m still communicating with people.