Royal Welsh Show

Are any SSIWers going to the Royal Welsh?

Only on TV via Sky! If you appear on S4C, wave!!! :grinning:

1 Like

On the Monday, with my di-Gymraeg mother.

1 Like

I’m going on the Thursday taking hubby for first time

I’m going on Wednesday, haven’t been before only to the Spring festival.

If anyone is going to be there for a few days, showing or working or whatever, consider yourselves cordially invited to join us just up the road in Llandrindod for our regular Wednesday evening “Clonc a Chwrw” session at the Arfon Ales micropub on Temple Street. 8pm till we all remember that it’s a school night.

3 Likes

That’s great, thanks. I’ll certainly try, although the OH isn’t learning Welsh yet but he does drink beer.

2 Likes

First programme on S4C this year was tonight, Sunday, but there is full coverage all week. Host County this year, Sir Gar. Has raised ÂŁ300,000!

1 Like

Is anyone planning on going to this year’s show in Llanelwedd (22-25 July)? It promises:

… something to interest everyone through its wide range of activities including forestry, horticulture, crafts, countryside sports, shopping, food and drink and a 12-hour programme each day of exciting entertainment, attractions and displays.

I’ve been told it’s a good opportunity to practise Cymraeg and to get to hear a wide variety of accents - I’d be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone who’s been in previous years?

1 Like

I’ll very probably be there, on the Monday. It’s very different from the Eisteddfod with, even there, the predominant language being English. People, with and without Welsh come from all over Wales and beyond. The farming and agricultural sections are, of course, predominantly Welsh. But there’s so much more to see. Birds of prey, probably, a honey show, craft competitions, food competitions, and lots and lots and lots of businesses large and small, old and new, trying to sell you anything from vegan ice cream to holiday yurts via tractors and oil free frying pans. I like to think of it as the Welsh at Play. The Welsh Book Council will be there, it usually is. Various charities. Thanks for reminding me, I’ll confirm it with my diary right now. If you come on the Thursday entrance is usually a couple of pounds less. It might well be cheaper to book on line. If you come by train (and there’s an additional train during that week) you can buy tickets on the train. They run buses to meet the trains at Builth Road, from the South, and Llandrindod Wells from the North. Thanks for reminding me.

2 Likes