Rhaid and eisiau

mae rhaid/eisiau i fi seem quite similar. Can someone ease my slight confusion with an explanation of when I would use each?

S’mae Stuart?

Its the difference between having to do something (rhaid i mi) and needing to do something (eisiau i mi) (in the North, wanting to do something).

Hope that helps!

Hwyl,

Stu

1 Like

diolch.

Some more lesson four queries.
1, What’s the ‘for about a’ phrase that crops up a few times, as in ‘i’ve been learning for about a month’?
2, What the ‘that’ word that comes up a few times? As in ‘say that i’ve been learning welsh’ Almost sounds like bov or something like that.

Heia Stuart,

“For about a month” - I would say am tua mis, but I think in the South is am biti mis.

“To say that I have been learning” would be dweud bo’ fi wedi bod yn dysgu, but of course thst is Northern, what Iestyn says may be a bit different, I am not sure…

Hwyl,

Stu

1 Like

previous thread may be of some use to you, with an answer from Iestyn.

http://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/questions-and-request-for-support-new-southern-course-1-5

is it me, or are threads getting shorter and less meandering here?
I’m not saying that’s a bad thing! It may well be a good thing! Just wondering…

1 Like

Hi Stuart(s). I agree that ‘rhaid i mi’ is used for have to but eisiau means want to. In North Wales it is used as we would use ‘I want’ in English i.e ‘Dw i eisiau.’

Heia Guy,

I believe I mentioned this in my post ;-). However, in the South, to want is moyn and eiasau is to need.

Hwyl,

Stu

1 Like

Thanks. I think the course guide’s will definitely be useful when they’re up and running.