Red wine? White wine? Lesson nine

Aran, you urge us to hit the bottle at lesson nine, level 2. The wine I drank didn’t seem to aid the absorption of new Welsh words. In fact, if anything, it hindered the process. Was I drinking the wrong sort? Please advise.

4 Likes

The trick is to have three glasses before listening to new Welsh words or 5 glasses before listening to new Russian words.

You can repeat the Welsh words after only three glasses, but it usually takes a full bottle before gaining enough confidence to articulate the Russian ones. I have actually tried speaking Russian after drinking a full Magnum of Barbaresco but still didn’t dare Skype Stella to check my pronunciation. On reflection that was probably a good decision, :wink:

Justin

4 Likes

I find that it is not just the quantity, but certainly the quality that is important. Have you tried your Welsh with a bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild? :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s notoriously tricky to be sure about this kind of stuff. You probably need to do some extensive testing…:wink:

2 Likes

The Italian wine-makers association would just like to add that whereas a bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild may indeed have the desired effect, the added mortgage on your house to buy it will likely strike you dumb soon afterwards! How about instead a good bottle of Brunello di Montelcino, Barbaresco or Barolo which will leave you with more than a few pennies in your pocket to accompany it with a fine Welsh cheese. Then, if you are not warbling fluently, you have at least the excuse to not talk with your mouth full.

Justin

3 Likes

Ah! That explains why, after :wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass:I was speaking Double Dutch.

2 Likes

Few can tell if it was not, in fact , Welsh you were speaking, or even Koeterwaals :wink:

1 Like

I’m on the case🍾

2 Likes

Is it a case of 6 or a case of 12 bottles? :wink:

Mutations fly off the tongue wondrously well once well embedded into a case of 6. For mastering short form verbs in Course 3 a case of 12 is recommended, if not virtually obligatory,

Justin

2 Likes

I love threads like this.

1 Like

I agree:) After a couple of glasses, my “ll” sound becomes incredibly easy to pronounce, and so very beautiful - to my ears, at least. Maybe, if the dosage is right, it will also help me with the aspirated sounds - who knows!

2 Likes

Aha - needs a case of Spumante, I’d say

2 Likes

Excellent idea:) I’ve always known Asti has some super powers, and one does need super-powers to pronounce the aspirated sounds:)

2 Likes

Aspirated sounds. Are they the sounds you make after you’ve had a bit too much and are happy but before you become maudlin?

1 Like

This is absolutely brilliant. It’s just helped me much more than all the descriptions of how to pronounce things like “rhwng” that I’ve ever read!

1 Like

Yes - brilliance strikes all devotees of SaySomethinginWelshwithWine - at frequent intervals while refilling their glasses :wink:

Justin

2 Likes