Recipes from a depleted store cupboard

I always have my cupboard full of pasta since I have so many types at all times (so the Italian side of my family doesn’t disown me for making Carbonara with farfallette because I ran out of spaghetti). It is looking like I’ll have to make my own soon though! Right at the beginning of this I was given a bag of weak 00 so that’s a nice coincidence :smile:

I haven’t seen a single can of chickpeas in weeks! I always have at least 4 or 5 in my house but despite rationing them (I love chickpeas) I made my last pasta e ceci last night. :cry:

1 Like

Oh I’m not such a purist on pasta types match with sauce, but I know in the South it can be risky business. :sweat_smile:

See…you’ve got the right flour, pasta fresca is calling you. :grin:

But, damn, now no chickpeas left? Maybe after seeing this thread someone will thank you for the recipe and send you some from other towns where they might still have some. Hopefully not at extra high price, though! :rofl:

p.s. speaking of pasta, I just watched the video @robbruce posted. I thought “Mac’n cheese” was a hamburger (because of the name and because I had seem some clips with that guy basically just cooking tons of meat…).
Despite not being a purist about pasta choice (by-see-clat-tee?!! wha’? ha haaa) and indulging in junk food at times, that mess he’s cookin, seems quite awful. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

p.p.s. just looked up chickpeas in Welsh. Gwygbys! I love that!

1 Like

We still have some chickpeas in our cupboard (there’s only so much houmous a chap can consume). So I’m definitely going to try @Novem 's “pasta e ceci” :yum:

The reason I started this thread was that pasta was one of the first items that was being panic bought. The situation is easing now, I’m glad to say.

I have a range of “exotic” flours still, including a little 00 flour. Yesterday, I tried mixing a batter of fine oatmeal, buckwheat (sarassin) and wholemeal flour to make Staffordshire Outcakes which I seek out every time I go to the potteries. My attempt, however, was disgusting and I shall not be sharing the recipe. :blush:

2 Likes

Is 00 flour considered exotic, in the UK? :thinking:

Sometimes experiments don’t work so well, but always worth trying, I think!

If you have some buckwheat left, you could try your luck with classic Galettes bretonnes maybe?

could try your luck with classic Galettes bretonnes maybe

I always do them on Pancake Tuesday / Mardi Gras along with sweet pancakes for pud. :smile:

(00 flour is pretty exotic in Ystrad Meurig - maybe not in Islington :laughing: )

1 Like

Interesting! Here now you can find quite a few varieties in most shops and supermarket. But until a few years ago, that was the only one you could find easily and anywhere!

What do you fill Mardi gras galettes with?

What do you fill Mardi gras galettes with?

It depends what’s available but I typically use thin cut ham (prosciutto crudo would also be good), grated cheese (eg gruyere. comte cheddar), a fried egg (with broken yoke) and possibly any chorizo, or salami in the fridge. Spinach and cheese on its own is also good.

1 Like

Best thing to do is to load the galette with rustic sausage and maybe French hardish cheese, fold over to leave a v-shaped gap, crack a good egg onto that and then put the galette in the oven for the egg to cook through for a few minutes. When it comes out, fold the top of the v over to create a triangle.

Feeling hungry, now!

1 Like

That sounds delicious - and authentic :smiley:

Some Czech (or Slovak or generally East-European or whatever) recipes (please note that I am not a “follow the recipe” type of cook but don’t worry it will be fine).

Potato pancakes (as made by our family)

• grated potatoes (400-500g for two people or 800-1000g for 4 people) - approx. half roughly grated and half finely grated
  • eggs (1 egg for two or 2 eggs for 4)
  • a little bit of flour, just to hold it together slightly better
  • a lot of garlic
  • marjoram (or oregano if you don’t have marjoram)
  • salt and pepper, oil for frying

Grate the potatoes, get rid of the excess water, mix in other ingredients. Heat a pan with small amount of oil, add a large spoonful of the mixture, use a spoon or fork to flatten the pancake as much as you can. Fry from both sides. After frying, use paper towels (the ones you bought when there was no toilet paper in shops :wink: ) to dry excess oil.
Potato pancakes in this style are thin and crispy, not like potato cakes.

Potato dough (often used for dumplings but can be used for many things)
This is similar to Gnocchi and other similar recipes.

• boiled potatoes (floury type, baking potatoes are fine), approx. 700-750g for 4
  • 2 eggs
  • flour - Czech recipes often mix different types of flour (depending on the grinding), to keep this simple, use whatever you have but it is better if you can use two parts flour and one part semolina
  • salt

Mash the potatoes (cold), add the eggs and as much flour as needed. This depends on the type of flour and the type of potatoes, just add more and keep working the dough until it isn’t too sticky. Expect to use 250-300g of flour. Add salt, let sit for ten minutes, shape to whatever you want.

Uses:
Potato flatbreads - roll it into thin flatbreads and fry it (and you have Lokše, a popular Slovakian side dish)
Filled pouches or filled dumplings, minced meat filling is common but sweet filling are also possible (fruit like plums etc.) - boil after filling
Gnocchi - yes, we do these, as small “noky” in soups or larger “šišky”. “Šišky” are often eaten as a sweet dish, with butter, sugar and poppy seeds. Slovakian national dish “Halušky” is very similar, eaten with creamy sheep milk cheese and smoked meat.
Dumplings - typical potato dumplings used in many Czech dishes

To make dumpligs:
Split the dough into two or three parts. Shape a thick roll (5-6cm thick). Boil for 15-20 minutes. Remove from boiling water, let cool slightly for 5 minutes. Cut into slices.
Normally, this would be a side dish, eaten with roasted meat and cabbage but when times are tough, they can be used for quicker in cheaper meals. My favourite is to have them with crispy fried bacon and caramelised onion.

5 Likes

I am not a “follow the recipe”

You and me both :smile:
I got used to omnipresent dumplings when working in C & E Europe and eventually grew to love them. :smiley:

Dw ddim yn siŵr a yw hyn yn gymwys ond dyma fe

Hi Catrin - could you let us know what type of flour, please? I would assume bread flour but just want to make sure.

Cofion

Tony

Just regular plain four. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No , @Tony_Davis, these rolls are ordinary plain flour.

I’ve experimented - just hadn’t posted yet (diolch am y rysáit @CatrinLliarJones :slight_smile: )
=> if you’ve got UK self-raising flour, that also works, just leave out the baking powder and salt.

(Have seen suggestions that some US SR flours haven’t been as successful - don’t know if true - if wary, adding just 1/2 tsp baking powder apparently sorts issue).

1 Like

Thanks,Catrin, I still have some of that in the cupboard!

1 Like

Fancy an easy fakeaway? A takeaway at home? Here’a an easy Chinese one…

Egg fried rice -

• 1 sachet of microwave rice
  • Toasted sesame oil - not olive oil
  • 2 eggs - beaten
  • Chinese five spice
  • Salt
  • (peas/strips of cooked chicken/cooked prawns)

Heat the oil in a frying pan/wok. Squish the unopened sachet to separate the rice. Add rice to hot pan and keep stirring. About 5 minutes in sprinkle Chinese 5 Spice on to rice - keep stirring and taste - add more as needed. Make a well in the rice to reveal bottom of the pan and add a dash of the beaten egg - stir till cooked, then repeat till all the egg has been cooked. You can add peas and/or strips of cooked chicken/prawns to this recipe. Serve with soy sauce.

Chicken/pork/prawn/shrimp balls -

• Diced chicken breast - or any other meat
  • Plain flour
  • Salt
  • Baking powder
  • Chilled soda water
  • Chinese five spice
  • Vegetable oil

Cook diced chicken breast (or other chosen meat), pat dry and coat in flour. Make a light crispy batter by combining plain flour, 1/2 tsp of baking powder, salt (to season), Chinese 5 spice (to season) and chilled soda water straight from the fridge. Heat vegetable oil in a pan. Dip floured chicken breast in the batter, fry and drain. Simple! :slight_smile:

This batter recipe can also be used to make tempura using vegetable batons.

Sweet and sour sauce -

• Tin of pineapple chunks in juice
  • Red pepper
  • Green pepper
  • Spring onions
  • Vinegar (rice vinegar or white wine vinegar if you have it)
  • Cornflour/cornstarch
  • Chilli powder
  • Ketchup
  • Toasted sesame oil

Make a thickening paste with some of the pineapple juice and the cornflour and set aside. Chop the peppers and spring onions and soften in a pan using the sesame oil. When soft add the pineapple chunks and juice and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Add a tablespoon of ketchup. Add vinegar and chilli powder to taste - depending on how strong you want the sour taste to be and if you want it to have a chilli kick to it. To sweeten, just add brown sugar. Add cornflour paste to thicken.

This is a flexible recipe which you can experiment a lot with - for instance, marmalade is a great sweetener - star anise and tamarind paste add interesting flavours - soy sauce is always a great addition - garlic can also be added. Just play around with it and see what happens.

Baked Cauliflower

• Cauliflower
  • Olive oil
  • Lemon juice
  • Bay leaf/thyme/tarragon or any other favourite herb
  • Salt
  • Crushed black pepper
  • Crushed garlic or garlic salt (optional)
  • Grated mature cheddar

In a plastic Zip-Lock bag/plastic bag add some olive oil, lemon juice, salt, crushed black pepper, crushed bay leaf and either some garlic salt or freshly crushed garlic. Mix together in the bag. Add Cauliflower florets and shake to coat with the oil mixture. Empty in to oven-proof dish and bake in hot oven till brown on the edges (also test cooking speed with fork occasionally). Sprinkle with mature cheese and place under grill till cheese in bubbling.

You can do this with just oil, salt and pepper if you don’t fancy the lemon. Also you can experiment with the herbs and garlic and type of cheese added at the end.

1 Like

Tortilla Quiche

Simply use a large flour tortilla as the base for the quiche instead of pastry! No need for prior baking. In a greased flan dish place either one large tortilla or overlap several small ones (like a petal formation). Add quiche filling, brush exposed tortilla edges with butter and bake!

To make mini quiches, use a muffin tin and small/mini tortillas, or use a round pastry cutter to cut rounds out of a large tortilla! :slight_smile:

Hidden Veg, Easy Pasta Sauce

• Individual veg steam bags / or left over veg
  • Olive oil
  • Tomato puree
  • Garlic (fresh or powder/salt)
  • Basil - optional (fresh or dry)
  • Italian herbs - if you have them
  • cherry tomatoes if you have them, or regular tomatoes will do

Place steamed veg and all other ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth - it really is that simple! great for fussy kids who won’t eat their veg as it tasted just like regular tomato based pasta sauce.

Yoy can play around with the ingredients depending on what you have available. The basil/italian herbs/garlic are all optional and can be added in quantities to suit taste. Pesto can also be thrown in. When you try this for the first time, begin by pureeing the veg, oil and tomatoes first, then add other ingredients to taste. Add small quantities of boiling water to loosen the mix if needed, or water from boiling pasta.

When your pasta is cooked, drain, return to the pan, add the sauce, turn the hob off and return saucepan to still hot hob for about a minute, stirring continuously, just to ensure sauce is hot.