Radio Cymru 2 - new radio station

Oh, wow! Great pic!

2 Likes

I read it as that you were against some DJs because they were old and that only young presenters like Elan Evans were exciting.

Radio Cymru has to try and be a public service broadcaster and offer something for everyone. Which means it has to offer the type of shows of the UK wide BBC numbered stations (Radio 1, Radio2, Radio 3 etc). So they have identified some times of the day when there is likely to be an audience for different programming.

I hate Radio 2 with a passion. Yet it is the most widely listened to UK radio station. So this type of programming is perhaps where there is demand at times of the day that recieve peak Radio 4 style content. On this basis the times for Radio Cymru Dwy to broadcast would be the breakfast slot and the afternoon ‘Drivetime’ slot for people stick in traffic on their way home.
If successful there could probably be a case for an all day BBC Radio Cymru 2 to be a Welsh version of BBC Radio 2. Then Radio Cymru could provide for everyone who wants something other than Radio 2 content. Then there would be greater freedom for Radio Cymru to provide exciting new content from presenters of every age. Angharad Jenkins (the fiddler in Calan) stood in for Georgia Ruth a few weeks ago and delivered an excellent programme in my view as has Elan Evans. There is plenty of excellent radio talent in Wales if we can find space on the airwaves for them.

Thanks for the link, @robbruce! It works in Canada! :slight_smile:

Strangely, my work van is less than a couple of years old, and yet has an am/fm radio.

In fairness, R2 is ok at 7PM and strangely, some of the news bulletins are slightly longer than the ones on R4 (only at certain times admittedly).

I must say that Radio Cymru seems more international than English regional BBC radio and even Radio Wales. I’m not knowledgeable enough on Scottish or Irish channels to comment. All I really mean is that there is no need to channel hop when a discussion on Trump’s latest tweet might be followed by some info on the weather and traffic conditions outside my house :smiley:

“…and finally”, some overnight stuff would be great.

But you’re not a tired, middle aged woman with primary school aged kids hanging off your (she shouldn’t be wearing those at her age) skinny jeans. I love Radio 2 with a passion. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It was great to have Daf a Caryl back on the radio this morning. It made my terrible commute a lot better. I sometimes listen to Post Cyntaf, I don’t enjoy continual news first thing in the morning. The only problem is that you have to manually switch back to Aled Hughes at 8.30am! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hear people say that it’s less bad in the evenings. I do love Mark Radcliffe, but I don’t consider him ‘Radio 2’.

Sadly I am not. By hate I mean ‘not for me at all’, Horses for courses and all that.

As I had a dental appointment this morning i worked form home for the first hour or so and listened to Radio Cymru Dwy. It seemed pretty good really.

I know what you mean. It’s kind of ‘Couldn’t you just wait and let me wake up a bit before reminding of all the awful things going on in the world’,which is probably exactly why they introduced it. Post Prynhawn, is fine!

2 Likes

For someone who’s not familiar with the UK radio landscape, could you perhaps provide a potted summary of Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, please?

In terms of typical content, target audience, or something like that?

Thank you!

2 Likes

Radio 1 = popular music, charts, younger audience
Radio 2 = pop music mixed with golden oldies, folk, quiz shows - wide range of age groups.
Radio 3 = more classical, jazz, lounge etc
Radio 4 = news, current affairs, documentaries, drama
Radio 5 = sport
Radio 6 = alternative music, dance music, all sorts but, on the whole, less mainstream.

4 Likes

Thank you!

Wow! What he :arrow_up:️:arrow_up:️:arrow_up:️ said. :smile:

2 Likes

Anybody listen to Cymru.FM? It’s not much good if you want to listen to spoken Welsh, but great if you just want to listen to Welsh music. I’ve been listening to it for a while now and enjoying it very much.

http://cymru.fm/

1 Like

Radio 4 also has comedy and quizzes. There is also something called Radio 4 Extra (used to be Radio 7) which is mostly repeats of comedy, quizzes and drama, either from way back or from more recent Radio 4 broadcasts. Some of the very old stuff has aged well, and other stuff much less well.
I listen to some of the stuff that hasn’t aged quite so well because it brings back fond memories of childhood or early youth.

Radio 3 also has occasional drama, highbrow discussions about the arts or occasional interviews with musicians or composers.

1 Like

Radio 5 (or 5Live as it likes to describe itself) has ‘rolling news’ during the day which basically means groundless speculation about things that have not yet happened, analysis with about as much depth as a puddle, and vacuous showbiz news.
There is also 5Live Sports Extra which broadcasts live sport to which the BBC has rights but not bandwidth to broadcast on other stations, and 1Extra which broadcasts ‘urban’-orientated popular music - stuff that’s just a bit too edgy for Radio 1.
The other UK station is the Asian Network (for people outside the UK, when we refer to Asian, we mean basically the countries of the old Indian Empire, though not Burma so much) which broadcasts Asian-orientated music of various degrees of coolness, and current affairs programmes of interest to the Asian community. It’s a bit like Radio Cymru, but with a considerably wider audience base, culturally speaking.

1 Like

Personally I’d love a Welsh language equivalent of 6Music (= Radio 6 in @AnthonyCusack’s list above) . It wouldn’t necessarily need to play only Welsh language music - it could focus on alternative/underground music from all over the world.

Incidentally, Gideon Coe (6Music) plays quite a bit of Welsh language (and other foreign-language) music on his show - Marc Riley occasionally too.

The closest you’ll get is probably Georgia Ruth on Radio Cymru [On now :grin:, Tuesday 7-10pm) I love her show so much. Huw Stephens is very good too (Thursdays, 7-10pm too]. The Boy Lard always does the business.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll have to give her a listen. I’ve listened to some of the evening shows on RC but, a few good tunes aside, have found that they tend a bit towards the bland (for my tastes, at least). I’ll defo check out Georgia Ruth. Gwenno did some fantastic shows - forget which station it was for - under the name of ‘Cam o’r Tywyllwch’ (title of a famous Welsh-lang compilation, of course - which I’m proud to say I own on vinyl!).

Agree about the Boy Lard! Though Gid Coe just edges it for me, due to the variety of music he plays. And not forgetting John Peel’s son, Tom Ravenscroft…

1 Like

If playing some Renaissance polyphony followed by hardcore electronic music is your bland, fair enough. Yet It’s so rare to find someone whose musical choice you totally get as I find with Georgia, but I’m sure she’s not so on point for everyone’s tastes. Our Tom (as I still call him! Peel used to talk about his teenage exploits so much!) is really good, I’ll wager he has played something Cymraeg at some point, but I don’t re-call hearing any Welsh tunes. Tbh Welsh music has cut into my Radio 6 listening time. I didn’t like the Gideon Coe show, perhaps I should give him a go again. A bit off point, but I regularly listen to ‘Honky Tonk Radio girl’ on wfmu.org . I know Country is not everyone’s cup of tea, but she puts together awesome collections of old country 45s.

Ha! That sounds great!

Tom R has played some Welsh lang music - not as much as his dad used to, though, so could do better on that front! (He doesn’t play as much happy hardcore, gabba, grindcore or death metal as his dad either, for that matter!)