Questions about Level 3 South (any doubts and curiosities)

I just remembered I had opened this for the purpose, so let’s use it!

Challenge 6 South, min 23:02
Yes, I had a glass or two of wine and then I went home - Do, gwes i gwydred neu ddau o win, ac wedyn es i getre
Is it written correctly or missing something?

I can’t find “then” in the vocabulary list, I found this on a dictionary but then

in Challenge 9, min 28:03, the famous… If you don’t make me a cup of coffee right now, then I will never love anyone ever again, I hear
Os na wnei di disgled o goffi i fi yn syth, yna fydda’i byth yn caru neb byth eto
Is this correct? What’s the difference between wedyn and yna? :thinking:

1 Like

almost written correctly - gartref is the word for home here.

Wedyn is ‘then’ in the sense of ‘afterwards’, so in the first sentence, you could say “and afterwards I went home” and it would still make sense. However, ‘afterwards’ wouldn’t make sense instead of ‘yna’ in the second sentence, so that’s why it’s a ‘yna = then’ not a ‘wedyn = then’ in that one.

Does that make sense?

3 Likes

Alright!
So yna is like then as a consequence? What about felly? (I thought that was the one for this sense, is it?)

p.s. I blame English for being confusing, in many cases! :grin:

1 Like

Officially, yes, but in the south we often write “gytre” as that’s how we say it :slight_smile:

“felly” wouldn’t sound right there … I think because of the “os” at the beginning. “yna” seems to go better as a ‘pair’ with “os”, whereas “felly” sounds better if you’ve just made a statement before it, e.g. “dw i ddim yn hoffi coffi, felly dw i ddim yn moyn ei yfed e.”

4 Likes

yes, yna is more “as a consequence”.
felly is more of a ‘so’, and as Dee says, ‘so’ wouldn’t make sense with the ‘if’ beginning.

4 Likes

In challenge 14 and its vocabulary list there is:
left = fy gadael (as in get left behind)

Later, in challenge 23 (min 13:40):
I don't mind if they left with each other = os gadewon nhw

And then (around min 25:45):
He would be angry whenever you left
In Welsh I hear something like:
ta pryd ti’n gadael (Cat)
ta pryd i ti’n gadael (Iestyn)

And finally in challenge 24 (min 28:24):
Whoever left mud here
ta pwy wnaeth adael mwd yma

They seem to have four different structures - the first with gadael and fy (not fi), then another one with ti (not dy). And I don’t know what’s “_won” and the last with a past tense and a mutation?! :thinking:
I’m completely lost! :dizzy_face:

Edit (after other posts reminding me): oops, it was fy ngadael. :grimacing:

1 Like

fy gadael - this is kind of a reflective thing which doesn’t happen in English: “my leaving” / “my having got left”

os gadewon nhw - yes, this is the short-past-conjugated form for use with they/them

ta pryd ti’n gadael (Cat)
ta pryd i ti’n gadael (Iestyn) - these are gadael in its ‘straightforward behaving like an ordinary verb’ form!

ta pwy wnaeth adael mwd yma - gadael has mutated because gwneud is in the short form (wnaeth)

Does that help? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes! Thanks, now I’m one step forward towards understanding the whole thing. :slight_smile:

Just sort of talking to myself now, to summarize this set of left:

• the first has no exact translation, so I’ll just take it and remember as is.
  • the third is a regular present, where English uses past tense instead (like we were talking these days with a few other forumists in a thread about said/thought etc…)
  • the second and fourth are just two different forms of past tense. I just hadn’t met the third person plural yet so I’ll just have to get used to it.
    While I think most of the wnaeth I’ve met were followed by letters that do not mutate (like h and e) so I hadn’t realized.

However I know I’ve heard/seen wnaeth parchu and wnaeth tynnu in lyrics.
Am I missing something, or could it just be that sometimes people don’t do mutations when they speak or sing?

very common, even amongst first-language speakers :slight_smile:

1 Like

…well…cael fy ngadael ar ôl…means ‘get/ have my leaving behind’ so it does have a translation (ie it is not one of those bizarre things you just have to remember).

Personally, I think of it like this all the time, as it works just as well for the other person forms but of course it’s one of those translations that needs ‘tidying up’ when expressing it in English - to a form of words you would actually use.

So ‘fy ngadael’ in the vocab list is the thing that is a little confusing as it means ‘my leaving’ - not just leaving - I think trying to list a translation for that phrase is tough! :smile:

Rich :slight_smile:

Yes, you’re right, I think! Oh well, you’ve also reminded me I got it wrong in my post…awww…and I even normally get this mutation right, because there happened to be so many in the first songs I listened, and it sounded kinda slightly weird and complicated (ng,ngh,mh…!) so it kinda stuck.

However seeing the fy is what got me to expect dy when I’d meet a 2nd person/singular and got me confused when it was a ti instead - but in fact it was because it was a different kind of left (like Siaron explained).

As for this…

You mean that get/ have my leaving behind actually means something in English? :thinking: :grinning:

1 Like

Well of course it would be a very strange to say in those exact words …but all the bits of meaning are there…it just needs shuffling.

Get my leaving behind = get left behind

English gets cute by actually dropping the ‘person’ involved in this phrase…

…but it’s same sort of idea as in throw it - …in the earlier lessons

Ei dwlyd e … to throw it…it’s throwing…My leaving

Both reflect the action happening to person (me or it).

I don’t give it a second thought now because my brain has flipped :smile: and I think of the long version in my head - the Welsh comes for free then! :wink:

1 Like

:scream: :scream: :scream:

Not surprised! :crazy_face:
Er…uhm…I guess I’ll focus on Welsh for now… :laughing:

1 Like

:smile: I thought I’d line that one up for you :smile: :smile:

1 Like

I was thinking about the English version whilst I was walking the dog…

There is a way of saying this in English which is a very close match - it is ‘old fashioned’ however - I think that is the best way to describe it(?) - its the sort of thing my parents would have said…

“I’m going to run across the grass so that I don’t get (or find) myself left behind!”

I’m not even sure whether what we say now isn’t an abbreviation of this…dropping the ‘person’…

…but I’m not a linguist…and I’m past the long grass and into the car park by now…so I’ll just get my coat. :smile:

1 Like

Yes, there was a bit of a movement amongst English teachers, who tried to get us to use “my” instead of “me”. Stuff like “did you notice my leaving the classroom”. If the teacher wasn’t listening we’d just use “me” of course. I think that it has largely been discredited now, as part of an attempted Latinisation of English (I think in the early 20th century). Apart from the odd case when it might help, such as “my writing”, I vote to ignore it in English as we have enough trouble learning the finer points of Welsh grammar :smiley:

2 Likes

Challenge 6 (always South for me :grin:), min 7,34.
The English was: she has such a kind heart, it’s the least I can do.

But to me Iestyn seems to say:
(…)dyna oedd y lleiaf (…)

Do you hear the same?
And if so, doesn’t it mean it was the least I could do?
Can you use either in this sentence?

The English is “it’s the least I could do”. So you heard correctly :blush:

1 Like

Ok, sometimes switching between too many languages is confusing. :sweat_smile:

But still…isn’t dyna oedd y lleiaf := that was the least
And dyna yw y lleiaf = that’s/that is the least?

Note: in my original question I wrote it’s instead of that’s by mistake

Yes but it’s the tense that’s important. In English “She has such a kind heart it’s the least I could do” would still be talking about something you’ve done. So Welsh is a bit more consistent in this instance because “Mae gyda hi galon mor garedig dyna oedd y lleiaf allwn i’w 'neud” sticks to the past tense.

However, if you were to say “I’ll do the washing up. She has such a kind heart it’s the least I could do.” I guess that changes the tense so it’d be “Mi wna i’r llestri. Mae gyda hi galon mor garedig dyna’r lleiaf allwn i’w neud”. So I’m pretty sure you’d drop the “yw” because it’s in the “dyna”. I don’t think you’d ever say “dyna yw”…

Let’s tag those you’ll have a better grasp of grammar: @siaronjames @garethrking @Deborah-SSi @aran @Iestyn

2 Likes