Question about Course 1 Lesson 21 (Southern)

Helo!
Towards the end of lesson 21 there is the sentence: “We have hoped to see you.” and I don’t know what to say after: “Yn ni wedi gobeithio …” Well, I don’t understand what comes between gobeithio and weld…so if anyone could help me out, diolch yn fawr :slight_smile:

Haven’t done this one for a while, but I’m guessing that it would be:

'Yn ni wedi gobeithio dy weld di (informal, singular), or
'Yn ni wedi gobeithio eich gweld chi (formal/plural)

Does that sound right?

Shwmae Bie!
The word you are looking for is “dy” (pronounced “der”), and usually will end with “di” after “weld” for informal use eg “dy weld di”, or “eich”, with “chi” after “gweld” if it’s formal eg “eich gweld chi”. You will learn more about these forms (I think they’re called personal pronouns, but hope that someone will correct me on this!) on course 2, from lesson 19 onwards.

Listened to it again and now I clearly heard “dy weld di”. Thanks a lot!

Diolch Jon a Gavin!

Remember that the “dy” in spoken Welsh is optional, and very personal. There are some who don;t like the sound of “…wedi gobeithio gweld ti…”, and you will certainly get some learners compain that it’s “not right” without the dy, but in everyday speech with everyday users, you will hear both ways, often from the same speaker, sometimes in the same sentence.

Personally, I prefer the “dy”, but even I use without, and probably wouldn’t notice others going without. So say whichever is easiest, and accept that your Welsh will morph to match what you hear most anyway - SSiW is just a guide to get you to the point where you have enough Welsh to be able to morph!

Diolch Iestyn :slight_smile:
Sounds interesting: to be able to morph and mutate…

Bie: “Sounds interesting: to be able to morph and mutate…”

It does indeed…