Question 3 from Marilyn [CAERDYDD]

(Posting on behalf of @MarilynHames)

1 Like

3 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

Thank you—your reply takes me on a virtual visit to some of the places I have enjoyed (as a tourist) and some that need to go on my ‘bucket list’ for our next trip in April.

How was Swan Lake? Is the Dr. Who experience a permanent exhibit I could visit if we go down to the Bay? As for St. Ffagans—I try to go there every time we come over—is one of my favourite places where I can meet with old school friends then go for a meal or drink in a nearby pub.

Diolch yn fawr!
Marilyn

Thank you again Siaron,

I love to see Cardiff through your eyes, what you do, or can do there, because it is really expanding my ability to experience natural conversations, talking about everyday life. And, as I mentioned to someone else, I can replay it to pick up on anything I missed first time.

As for me—growing up there in the 50s and 60s, then returning for just 18 months after university in England, wow the changes we see when we visit! When I lived there, I loved the wonderful arcades, the Museum, the Arms Park, the pubs, the Market… some places that are still there, some dwarfed by new developments, and some sadly have disappeared (including our old ‘watering holes’), but I still love it.

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Have a great weekend,
Marilyn

1 Like

Thank you so much Anthony,

Given what you said, let me pick your brains please—you mention the plenty of cafes and places to eat, where would recommend to someone who may only be able to enjoy lunch in Cardiff Centre during a brief visit from ‘over the Pond’? I am allergic to shellfish, but love hearty Welsh ‘comfort food’ with either a nice glass of wine or good latte…

Inevitably we make ‘flying visits’ into Cardiff when we visit my brother near St. Nicholas because he is not very mobile and our priority is to spend time with him. However, he always encourages us to have a few hours ‘looking around’.

Diolch yn fawr,
Marilyn

Llaeth a Sigwr yn y Hen Lyfrgell is very close to the station, really hearty food, with a bar and/or coffee :slight_smile:

That would be my number one for a quickish pop into town.

Or the Deck in the Bay http://www.thedeckcoffeehouse.co.uk

1 Like

Thank you again Margaret—these recordings are absolutely brilliant!

I believe I understood almost everything so this is really helping my listening skill, but there’s just one thing I want to check please… Did You say that you went to university in Cardiff? Nowadays it seems to be huge centre for learning. I don’t know what the student population is—do you?

And about the Senedd—is it interesting and open to tours regularly do you know?

Have a great weekend,
Marilyn

Brilliant—thank you Anthony! Cheers.

Hwyl,
Marilyn

1 Like

Hi Marilyn,
I have only visited Cardiff 3 or 4 times though I have passed by many times on the train and on the M4. Swan Lake was amazing and brilliant, never to be forgotten.

I checked on the Dr Who Experience. Unfortunately it closed last September when its 5 year lease on the land ran out. Such a shame.

Sue

1 Like

I did a 2 week intensive Welsh course in Cardiff back in 2014.

http://www.assembly.wales/en/visiting/senedd/get-visits-group/Pages/get-visits-group.aspx

Yes it is interesting, if only as an interesting building. They hold exhibitions in the entrance foyer. There was one on Islam when I went, a couple of years ago. It was the summer and the Assembly wasn’t sitting at the time.

And to answer the question about the Doctor Who Experience, I believe it was very good but it closed last September.

1 Like

In the region of 50,000 over 3 universities.
Cardiff University has 30,000
Cardiff Met has about 13,000
And South Wales has a campus (not sure how many).

2 Likes

Phew—that is huge!

Just checkng, is the Hen Lyfrgell the one in St. john’s Square?

on the Hayes, opposite House of Fraser on one side and St David’s Hall on the other. There is a Church there and it might be St John’s, in fact I think it is.

1 Like