Question 2 from Marilyn [RHAGLENNI]

(Posting on behalf of @MarilynHames)

3 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

Helo Sue-ditto, we do not have a TV either, never have had. But, like you we do have DVDs and can play “Hinterland” on Knowlege Network available on our computers. I also love mysteries—preferably murders, but shh, don’t tell my parishioners :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Great Siaron—thank you for answering my question so I could practise listening and get to know you better too.

From what you recorded, you have quite a range interests, and in a different thread said you are a trivia buff. Did you grow playing quizes too?

We were addicted—buying every year’s almanacks, cyclopedias and Guiness Book of Records :wink:

But tonight I am going to be severely challenged playing ‘The Parson’s Cat’—in Welsh. Got some good ‘killer’ adjectives I might throw in?

Cadeiriau,
Marilyn

oh yes, I love quizzes, and grew up with my face in encyclopaedias and, yes, Guinness Book of Records, rather than story books! And I’ve always been a bit eclectic when it comes to interests too.

Cath uchelgeisiol o’r enw Urien yw cath y 'ffeirad! :wink:

1 Like

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr Margaret,

I loved listening to your answer because it helps me ratchet-up my ability to take in more of the language through the next best thing to a live conversation with you. Also, I was able to replay it to catch anything I missed first time without having to say ‘I’m sorry, could you say that again please’—but I did anyway in Welsh of course before playing it again!

I am envious of the programmes you have access to, so am starting to explore ways I might access some of them even from Canada. Next project

Have a great weekend,
Marilyn

1 Like

Dw i’n meddwl am hynny—the bit about Urien :thinking: :grinning:

So about last night’s Victorian parlour game ‘The minister’s cat’
 We were encouraged to use dictionaries if we wanted, and change-up the occupation or animal, but each round we went around the circle contributing a new adjective (in Welsh) beginning with whichever letter of the alphabet we were on—remembering the mutations
 :wink:

Here was my best effort (so I thought): “Mae cath y gweinidog yn gath ddrewllyd”—“The minister’s cat was a stinking cat’. Poor puss! I must add, this was not competitive—we helped and prompted each other and laughed ourselves silly as this ‘regal, mysterious, sensible, rotund, stinking, orange cat’ took on an amazingly complex personality.

Can you suggest any other verbal word games SSiWers could play to help use what we are learning? Maybe something like ‘I spy
’? What would be the first part of the sentence we could then fill in with a word or two?

Have a great weekend!
Marilyn

PS I love cats.

1 Like

Oops, did I reply to the wrong person about Hinterland? Sorry!

Is that code for ‘I couldn’t understand a word you were saying’?:wink:

I’m sure @tatjana could tell you what’s available from radio Cymru to you in Vancouver and the best ways of accessing it.

1 Like

The parson’s cat is an ambitious cat called Urien (Urien is a very old Welsh name) :slight_smile:

I spy in Welsh starts with “Welaf i gyda’m llygad bach i
 rhywbeth sy’n dechrau gyda
”

One game I remember playing in the CĆ”ps in Aberystwyth when at Uni was translating the names of singers or bands into Welsh - so you’d get things like “Y Cerrig sy’n Rholio” = The Rolling Stones or “Morwyn Haearn” = Iron Maiden or “Twm Pwysau” = Tom Waits (weights!). The game was to come up with the Welsh version and the others had to guess who the real artist was, then it was their go. It could get to be quite a challenge, especially if the bands were a bit obscure (and, frequently being in the company of musicians, they often were!) and sometimes you had to get quite inventive!

Another ‘old chestnut’ is ‘Packing for Camp’ where one person starts off “Dwi’n mynd i gwersyll a dwi’n pacio
” and names something they are packing to take with them (but it can be anything, doesn’t have to relate to camping!). The next person repeats what they’ve said and adds another item, and so on with an item added to the list each time.

1 Like

No, I did mention that I had bought a DVD of “Y Gwyll” so you replied to the right person. I have series 2. I failed to find series 1.

@margaretnock spoke about “Beti ai phobl”. I don’t know if you can download this where you are, but I find it a very good programme to try to listen to. I am still at the stage of picking out the odd word that I recognise, but more should come with time.

Sue

Perfect Siaron,

What’s more, I can guess my answers may improve, or seem to, the more in my Cwps I get. Hm, need to find that little hat-shaped accent here

Cadeiriau,
Marilyn

Nah—honest :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Comming to CĆ”ps, do you know that it closed in Octobr/November last year? @aran’s famous CĆ”ps is no more 
 :frowning:

@MarilynHames - The whole Radio Cymru is available internationally and I usually access it (and not only it but any radio online or mobile apps) on TuneIn app. There you actually can find all kinds of radio station you can think of so I use it the most. The great thing to listen is morning program with a lot of short news and info although they talk quite fast as they have to squeeze all info into short minutes. The cool thing is also Bore Cothi where you can hear many things from music, art, they present a Welsh language learner etc 
At the afternoon there’s Tomos (or Tomo I didn’t remember this well as I didn’t listen to him for quite some time) which aims (as I recall) more to children, but especially because of this I like to listen to this broadcast. So, there’s plenty to listen.

1 Like

Yes, I heard it had. Shame - it really was a legendary place with legendary people, but at least I’ve got some very fond memories of it.

1 Like

Ah, ja 
 and I wanted to go there one day 
 now it’s gone 
 :frowning:

1 Like

Excellent, brilliant–diolch yn fawr iawn Tatjana. I will explore that on the weekend.

Hwyl,
Marilyn