Putting 'Wales' back into New South Wales

A very interesting development in Sydney I read about this morning: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-15/welsh-summer-school-in-sydney-language-preservation/10696034

4 Likes

Brilliant! :grinning: Really good to hear — I’ve never known anyone back in Australia who could speak Welsh, so it’s great to know there are some speakers there and they’re making sure the children grow up with it as well. I understand the point about the children of immigrants quickly losing the old language when there’s not a strong community with the impetus to keep the language going — I sometimes regret that I’ve never learned any Polish, which is my mum’s native language.

We have a lot of people in Australia with Cornish ancestry as well — including the other side of my family — but unfortunately the language had practically died out before most of them emigrated, so it didn’t come with them. There are a few Cornish speakers there nowadays, though, and a major Cornish cultural festival every second year in South Australia (which I’ve not managed to get to so far, being from Victoria). I’m not aware of any Welsh festivals in Australia, but who knows, if the interest keeps growing… :wink:

2 Likes

My mother-in-law’s family has Skewes connections, and where we live is very close to Tingha in NSW where a lot of Cornish tin miners worked

St David’s Day is celebrated in Sydney every year at the Carnarvon golf course, and also in Newcastle, and I’m sure in many other places

1 Like

Pur dha (that means da iawn). :slight_smile: My great-great-grandfather emigrated from Camborne in 1848, along with most of his brothers and sisters and their mother — they landed in South Australia but settled in Bendigo a few years later when the gold rush was on. Moonta and other nearby towns in SA seem to be the most famous for Cornish connections, but there were Cornish immigrants just about everywhere that had any kind of hard rock mining. As the saying goes, wherever in the world there’s a hole in the ground, you’ll find a Cornishman at the bottom of it!

Glad to hear it!

2 Likes

What a fantastic story… :slight_smile: :heart:

This puts me in mind of the song ‘Cousin Jack’ by Show of Hands, which describes this same Cornish emigration and where almost literally the same words are used:

4 Likes