Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 23/11/2018 5️⃣

Prynhawn da bawb! / Good afternoon everyone!

1) I’m personally not in to this premature decorating thing, despite having a sister who’s tree went up over a week ago. Where do you stand on the whole ‘let’s kick off Christmas’ business?

2) In which ways do you make friends with this cold season and own it like a boss?

3) When were you last greatly relieved at being able to excuse yourself from something you were dreading?

4) Name one way in which you were proud of yourself this week and one way in which you were disappointed in yourself?

5) Why does it have to be this way?

6) Make up your own culture related Friday Five question and answer it…

1 Like

1) I’m personally not in to this premature decorating thing, despite having a sister who’s tree went up over a week ago. Where do you stand on the whole ‘let’s kick off Christmas’ business?

Somewhere between “do it at the last minute” and “do it quick to get it out of the way” :wink:

When there were small children living in the house, I guess we made more of it for their sake.
Now there is a small child around some of the time (not actually living with us), maybe we will make more effort again, although bearing in mind he’s still at the age where everything in reach (and not quite in reach!) is explored, and preferably tasted! :slight_smile:

2) In which ways do you make friends with this cold season and own it like a boss?

Cold weather or cold annwyd? (Deliberately ambiguous, no doubt… :slight_smile: ).
Well the cold weather seems to be owning me like a slave at the moment, so I’m not doing very well so far.

3) When were you last greatly relieved at being able to excuse yourself from something you were dreading?

The details are boring, but it involved not having to go out in the cold weather!

4) Name one way in which you were proud of yourself this week and one way in which you were disappointed in yourself?

As only a partly reformed sugarholic (and one is never totally cured, just like alcohol), I allowed myself a couple of gratuitous sugar hits this week. That was the disappointment.
And while I wouldn’t use the word “proud”, I did make myself available to help someone this week which required some effort.

That’s the thing: it just doesn’t.

Bending it slightly (to fit my prejudices…well who else’s prejudices would I prefer? :wink: ),

Q: Which Welshman changed the culture of public health in the UK, if not forever, then for at least several generations?
A: The answer lies in this radio programme:

(Favourite DJ! pah! Evidently written by someone who thinks radio is only about music - sorry, another of my prejudices showing…).

1 Like

Q. Why has everything to do with culture, cultural history and cultural identity become so political nowadays?
A. Because nobody can seem to agree any longer as to what constitutes culture or cultural identity - each group has its own definitions.

1 Like

I don’t do xmas. I am a catholic so love the idea, but live mainly alone ( husband works away, no kids) so I don’t do decoration. I did once, the dog pee’d on the xmas tree and shorted the electric on the whole house. I send cards, and presents, and enjoy the concept, but don’t decorate.

I am sorted with fleece, layers, outer coatings, and shells. I have several of all, so some are worn, some ready, some drying. I have fleece-lined everything. Including bra’s.

I avoided a visit from the monster-in-law.

This week, I dug out large ditch I had been meaning to clear for ages.
I avoided a visit to a neighbour, that I should have done

It doesn’t - you are not a tree - if you don’t like where you are - move

Be nice to people
they deserve it

2 Likes

I’m willing to start pretending to be an amiable person about a fortnight before. As long as I’m compensated with some kind of alcohol.

Coat, scarf, bobbly hat, dog. One of these days I’m going to add ‘warm wellies’ to the list.

When poor old Beuno was too recently-post-op to be able to go to the school Christmas fair.

Proud: keeping on keeping on.
Disappointed: some poor eating choices.

It doesn’t. We can make it better… :slight_smile:

What was the first book you read?
I can’t remember, but it had a griffin in it. I loved that griffin.

2 Likes

It really doesn’t bother me either way. Emma loves really rubbish (her words) Christmas films on Netflix. The type where you don’t know any of the actors. So we’ve been watching them for a while now.

A friend of mine asked for a special present for her birthday one year - to be able to put up her Christmas tree on her birthday…10th September.

Each unto their own. If it makes you happy…

I love wrapping up warm. I also love roasted food. So those two things.

This year. The work Christmas party fell on the same day as my friends’.

One of our patients was bored on the ward, so I asked if she’d like to translate an exercise leaflet into Welsh for me. She was over the moon to help.

I got very cross with another patient that really wasn’t engaging with our service. No matter how frustrating, I must always remember that the projection of their emotions is a symptom of a deeper anxiety.

Because there will always be a gap between service users understanding of the service in comparison to those who work in the system.

What is the secret to always treating people with kindness?

Acting from the position that all emotions are symptoms of deeper experiences. It does not excuse negative behaviour but it does help explain it. If you can hold this mantra, empathy will be far closer to the service.

6 Likes

Love it when this forum throws out nuggets of absolute gold… :star2: :heart:

4 Likes