Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 23/09/2018

Sorry for the delay, I was working all day Friday and was out at karate gradings, ballet lessons and family visits yesterday.

1. No matter what stresses and strains are troubling me, I can always guarantee that a walk with the dog to a certain place with a certain view, will always soothe and have a meditative effect on my well-being. What do you turn to for relief when things are tough?

2. So this week is the week in which you…?

3. When was the last time you thought ‘I can’t believe I got away with that!’ ?

4. When was the last time you actually had to prove you were right?

5. To whom do you owe a debt of gratitude?

6. Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it…

3 Likes

Sorry for the delay, I was working all day Friday and was out at karate gradings, ballet lessons and family visits yesterday.
Those are all worthy excuses :grinning:

No matter what stresses and strains are troubling me, I can always guarantee that a walk with the dog to a certain place with a certain view, will always soothe and have a meditative effect on my well-being. What do you turn to for relief when things are tough?
I retreat to my music room (converted from our garage) or, if the weather is nice, I sit out front, stroke a cat or dog and bask in the beauty of our view of the Cambrian foothills (Yes, I do feel lucky). If I am need of a holiday, I’ll go on a solitary walking trip.

So this week is the week in which you…?
Approach the end of my self-imposed 2 month no booze trip

When was the last time you thought ‘I can’t believe I got away with that!’ ?
4th November, 1978 - Maureen married me. :smiley:

When was the last time you actually had to prove you were right?
It’s so d******d frequent that I’d have to quote it in minutes. Why won’t people just accept that I’m always right?

To whom do you owe a debt of gratitude?
SSiW (creepy, but I mean it :smiley:)

Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it…
Q: Is Julia Montague really dead?
A: Yes
My reasons: a) If it was planned that she should survive the explosion, it was a heck of a risk. b) if the decision to fake her death was only an oportunist one made at her hospital bedside, it’s impossible to see what the benefits ot the deception would be.
(Apologies to all who haven’t seen or can’t see the BBC 6 part series “The Bodyguard”. If you can get access to it via the interweb, I don’t think you’d be disappointed.)

3 Likes

Karate eh? Must come in handy for keeping Aran in order. I hope Mrs E. doesn’t think of this.

1. No matter what stresses and strains are troubling me, I can always guarantee that a walk with the dog to a certain place with a certain view, will always soothe and have a meditative effect on my well-being. What do you turn to for relief when things are tough?

Also walking, or cycling, or more recently, scooting. We are not far from the Thames, and the areas around that can be quite soothing.

Hopefully fully recover from a cold, and restart my diet…

We recently had a short holiday in Brittany, and took the car as we knew public transport would not be suitable (or not exist) for what we wanted to do. We bought some of those special things you stick to the headlights in order not to dazzle people when driving on the “wrong” side of the road. We assumed we’d find a lay-by shortly after getting off the ferry and do it there and then. But no lay-by appeared, and also, we got hopelessly lost around Cherbourg. We finally got clear of the place and in the right direction, but we’d wasted over an hour, and didn’t want to lose any more time, so we took a chance, and just carried on.

It soon got dark, and we had to put the lights on, but fortunately, there wasn’t much traffic, and we didn’t think we were dazzling too many people, if any. We got to Dol-de-Bretagne, the nearest village to where we were going to stay, and driving through the centre of the little town, we saw two gendarmes stopping cars. We started getting anxious, but in the event, they just waved us on.

Quite recently, but it will take a while before it will really be proved.

Parents obviously, and also wife and kids for putting up with me.

6. Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it…

Q: What do you think of the concept of electric cars?

A: I used to be an enthusiast, but these days I’m pretty sceptical. I think they will bring as many problems as they will solve.

2 Likes

What do you turn to for relief when things are tough?

Hmmm. Probably guitar, a bit. And fighting over who gets to take the dog for a walk…

Check that the whole ‘first sentence through to advanced subscriptions’ information flow is working properly and saying the right things at the right points.

When was the last time you thought ‘I can’t believe I got away with that!’ ?

Yesterday - when Catrin did the Sunday brunch washing-up while I chatted to an old friend on the phone.

Every. Single. Day.

My wife.

No way, is that the time? Already?

Yes.

1 Like

Nature, my partner, doing something creative, alcohol.
Not necessarily in that order.

Get my whole body and my brain scanned for medical science. My worst fear is that they’ll find out I’m one of those people who’s been miraculously existing with a very tiny brain. I wish I’d never found out that that was a thing.

When was the last time you thought ‘I can’t believe I got away with that!’?
Every day. I’m still waiting to be found out.

I don’t need to prove it. I know it.

Too many people to mention. I feel most grateful to my partner for putting up with me for 26 years (cheesy, I know) and continuing to cheerfully support pretty much whatever I decide to do (or not do!)

What would you do if you found out you had a very very tiny brain? Like a really, really tiny one that defied medical science?

I don’t know. I really, really don’t know…

4 Likes

But think about how BRILLIANTLY those brains are compensating! Those are HEROIC brains.

2 Likes

On the other hand they may find that you have two hearts. The benefit of that is that you can travel through time. The disbenefit is that you will have to learn Gallifreyan.

3 Likes

On the other hand they may find that you have two hearts. The benefit of that is that you can travel through time. The disbenefit is that you will have to learn Gallifreyan.

Impossible - everyone knows Dr Who is a bloke - Oh, hang on …:laughing:

3 Likes

I’m sure once the SSi bot is up and running there’ll be an SSi Gallifreyan. More difficult will be learning how to pilot a tardis.

That’s very true. I hadn’t thought about it like that. A tiny superbrain. I’m looking forward to my scan now!

1 Like

I try not to let things get to me really… which ironically makes everyone around me very angry.

I’m finally finishing my degree in French & German via the OU. So at the end of the week I’ll be starting that!

When was the last time you thought ‘I can’t believe I got away with that!’?
I work in IT and the amount of times I’ve accidentally rebooted something that wasn’t the server in question worries me…

See the answer above…

Too many people here unfortunately.

The thing I thought I would never be doing at 15:46 on a Tuesday afternoon in 2018 is…
Searching eBay for subbuteo teams…

2 Likes

Seems I’ve been skiving off contributing, so here goes…

As above… and sometimes wine… wine helps too… but not whilst walking the dog… :smile:

Finish writing the last set piece in my novel? :astonished:

Pretending to my children that the plastic dinosaurs come alive every night throughout the month of November and get up to all kinds of mischief, hence November being called Dinovember, it’s like Elf on the Shelf but way cooler…

See above

To the dinosaurs for their patience and their cooperation.

6 Likes

Gwbl