Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 18/09/2020 5️⃣

Bore da bawb! The Friday Five is back! :smiley:

1) You’re having to self isolate for two weeks with four famous Welsh people and one board game. What are your choices?

2) When was the last time you stepped outside the box and what were the consequences?

3) Living in an isolated self sufficient community - what would you be able to contribute?

4) Which song or piece of music you hadn’t heard for a long time, has recently come back in to your life?

5) And lastly one of my favourite questions - If you were to host an evening for a small gathering of SSiWers what would be on the menu, available at the bar and playing in the background?

Thank you for contributing and have a glorious weekend!

3 Likes

1) You’re having to self isolate for two weeks with four famous Welsh people and one board game. What are your choices?

Tom Jones. Mary Hopkin. Nye Bevan. Pete Ham. Monopoly Cardiff Edition.

2) When was the last time you stepped outside the box and what were the consequences?

Last year, when I started a course for Foreign Tour Guides. I expect to get a license for a profession that is now the least required in the world - although that will change, and the sooner the better!

3) Living in an isolated self sufficient community - what would you be able to contribute?

Teaching origami. Teaching Hebrew. Giving lessons on The World Out There for those who wish to escape …

4) Which song or piece of music you hadn’t heard for a long time, has recently come back in to your life?

Anything by Slade.

5) And lastly one of my favourite questions - If you were to host an evening for a small gathering of SSiWers what would be on the menu, available at the bar and playing in the background?

Bara Brith. Chocolate (in vast quantities and variety). Good red wine. Good beer (preferably Welsh). Background music? Coffi du!

[/quote]

6 Likes

Hurrah for the return of the Pump am y Penwythnos! Here you go:

Nia Parry, Ruth Jones, Cerys Matthews & Derek the Weatherman. We’d be playing Ticket to Ride

Moving to Gwynedd…it led to new friends, a new language, and a new job :blush:

Gardening and cooking. Oh, and being able to gut fish.

A Fifth of Beethoven. It’s the theme tune to ‘Mrs America’ and I’ve had an earworm of it ever since…

Curry followed by chocolate mousse, with a gin & Prosecco bar. Playing in the background would be The Waterboys.

5 Likes

Alan Cox (FOSS computer scientist), Mared Williams (piano optional), Gwyndaf Evans, Windsor Davies in his Sergeant Major Williams persona to keep order and a chess set.

Yesterday, providing a satnav system myself for our drivers instead of work’s awful, vague rubbish. Those chickens are yet to come home to roost but I have a pair of asbestos trôns for the occasion…

Electricity, both solar and wind. Taking those silly electric hover boards to pieces and making the motors useful is quite rewarding.

The theme tune of “It Ain’t Half Hot Mum” which explains one of my choices for #1 :grinning:

Steak and chips with onions and mushrooms (steak from Llechwedd Meats in Llangefni, proper chips), anything from Bragdy Mŵs Piws in Porthmadog and a selection of Gwibdaith Hen Frân, Al Lewis, Y Trŵbz and others I’m discovering on a daily basis. As it’s SSiW, a screen showing the lyrics for some impromptu karaoke would be good, too, as long as I’m not let anywhere near the mic :grimacing:

5 Likes

Neil Hamilton, Michael Howard, Hannibal Lector and Dafydd Iwan. Cluedo.

Questions 1 and 5. Don’t know the consequences yet.

My car.

‘When will I be famous’, by Bros. Only because my 19 year old daughter is meeting a friend in a flat in Bethnal Green Road, London tonight and I got excited as Bros used to live in the same block. Completely deflated when my daughter said, who?

Quinoa, feta, pickled cucumber, courgette, peppers, pomegranate, muscatel dressing with gin and dubonnet mix to drink and Morrisey playing in the background. OMG, I must move back home to Cardiff from London.

8 Likes

I love these answers! Diolch for helping me revive the Friday Five! :smiley:

Any more takers? :wink:

2 Likes

** You’re having to self isolate for two weeks with four famous Welsh people and one board game. What are your choices?

Dafydd Iwan, Dewi Pws, Gwynfor Evans and Dafydd Elis Thomas. Cluedo

I tried for a job that I couldn’t really do. I was shortlisted, but didn’t get it (thank goodness, I wouldn’t want it anyway).

Being able to identify edible plants and animals (with their latin names).

Yma o hyd - Dafydd Iwan. Went on a Uwch course in Nantgwrtheyrn last year and we looked at the words of the song (and sang it) there.

Cawl, cig oen, tatws newydd o Sir Benfro, cwrw ‘cwtch’ a Skull attack (SA by Brains, which I miss soooo much being in Cornwall). Dafydd Iwan ac Ar log playing in the background, of course.

4 Likes

Ooooofffff, what a question! Who writes these?! :rofl:
Michael Sheen, Ruth Jones, Rhys Ifans, Manon Steffan Ross and a game of Pictionary.

Living in the middle of nowhere, working from home and being a fairly open person, I guess I feel like I’m constantly living outside the box.

Being a former teacher, I could probably give that a go… but I’d definitely be part of the ‘home brew’ team… :wink:

Many, many songs from the '80s! I’ve been putting together a playlist on my phone for the car and it’s very heavily weighted towards that decade, in honour of my teenage years - Prefab Sprout is a particular new/old find.

Chicken leek and tarragon pie made with fresh cream and white wine with asparagus and roast broccoli on the side. Lemon mousse to follow. Champagne. My Welsh chill out mix in the background. :smiley:

2 Likes