Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 18/01/2019 5️⃣

1. When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Yesterday. Having joined Park Run in 2015 I did my first event yesterday, and even then it was a Park Walk.

1. In which ways are you standing up for what is right?

I pay my taxes. I supported a friend when her children were on the ‘At Risk Register’ and the meetings with social workers were a bit scarey.

1. Have you ever proven that necessity is indeed the mother of invention?

I’ve invented a lap counter that can also double up as (6) hair ties. So my poor husband doesn’t have to watch me swimming when I do my next 5k. It’s very boring and he’s very grateful.

1. Today I am very…

Glad it isn’t as wet as it was on Friday when I got soaked to the skin and chilled to the bone walking home.

1. Make up your own friday five question and answer it…

Will you be looking out for the Blood Moon tomorrow? Probably.

4 Likes

Not only do we have demands for slime, but there’s putty. Not sure which is worse? Nope, I know. Slime is worse, even my Daughter confirms this.

I just asked her if God came down and said to her, “You must choose one, slime or putty. Whichever you choose, you will have unlimited quantities and the other will disappear forever. What do you choose?” Her eyes lit up when the choice of unlimited slime. I could see her neurons firing with all the possibilities with unlimited slime. I think parents around the world should pressure the United Nations to universally ban slime as a ‘crisis against humanity.’

1 Like

1. When was the last time you did something for the first time? Going along with the slime theme, last September discovering how impossibly difficult it is to remove slime from the ceiling. I’ve never underestimated the powers of slime since.
2. In which ways are you standing up for what is right? See last sentence above
3. Have you ever proven that necessity is indeed the mother of invention? Having a child with both ADHD and OCD, this is nearly a daily occurrence.
4. Today I am… feeling better.
5. If you could banish one thing forever from the planet, what would it be? Some people might answer ‘war’ or ‘poverty’ or ‘hatred’ or ‘stupidity’ or ‘certain politicians’ or even ‘John Cleese from Monty Python’. But not me. It would be slime. I imagine how the countless hours of parents have spent removing slime could have been used to solve all the world’s problems. It would be a better world without slime.

1 Like

I like this, Alan P. While I can’t financially support the numerous organizations in the United State, I speak to my Daughter about them, so the next generation understands about stewardship and how dominating cultures continue to treat indigenous peoples poorly. This year, for a family vacation we are going to Arizona, United States, and we will spend time on a couple of Reservations. My Daughter will see first hand some of the problems they have in there everyday life.

3 Likes

Many thanks, @delawarejones. Well done to you for passing on the message to your Daughter. I have been involved in these issues now for well over 35 years, and was a local environmental campaigner all thru the '80s, until I had to step down from the front line out of sheer exhaustion. There’s much more I could say but don’t wish to break SSI’s - very sound - stipulation about not getting too political.

On a lighter note, the last time we were in touch was in connection with my thwarted attempt at scything - well I’m afraid it’s made a reappearance! :roll_eyes: :rofl:

Hope you’re recovering well now.

2 Likes

how impossibly difficult it is to remove slime from the ceiling

Since the visco-elastic properties of slime are temperature dependant, you may like to try cooling the offending gunge to near 0 celsius / 32 fahrenheit when it should be possible to chip or prise it off. (). I can’t guarantee that the ceiling will survivie unscathed, though.
(
) I find prolongued contact with a packet of frozen peas (any brand) will do the trick.

This just reinforces my earlier point that our country (and yours) need more slime experts. :laughing:

1 Like

Oh, no, we’re keeping the dog

Bechod. That could be a deal-breaker :frowning:

1 Like

Diolch, Alan. I did read about your scything issues again posted above. My offer still stands if you wish to come out of ‘scything retirement’ and build your confidence by scything my yard. :grin:

I can only imagine the issues you’ve tackled and the creative solutions formulated and head banging that occurred in getting others to listen and care.

@HuwJones

Nope, just ban the substance as a pestilence. :rofl: It’s only a matter of time before someone in the USA say, "The best way to stop a bad person with slime, is a good person with slime, and then we’ll need thoughtful slime control regulation…ugh! What a mess.

3 Likes

Nope, just ban the substance as a pestilence.

That’s all very well, just tell it to our ghosts! Without slime expertise, who’re we gonna call to “bust” them? :laughing:

(Do people think slime deserves its own topic? :wink: )

2 Likes

You mean this Real Ghost Busters episode - Citizen Ghost? It’s worth the 24 minutes to watch it. Ah, my teenage years.

1 Like

Hey @delawarejones Perhaps we could converse about the finer details of slime this Thursday on our meet up? That would help us with house vocab, colors, adjectives and possibly some “colorful” language. :crazy_face::joy::joy:

2 Likes

That’s an interesting idea, KellyMoore! I like it. I’ll ask those who attend this Thursday and see if they all have experienced “Slime Armageddon.” If so, then that will be a fun topic for next week.

1 Like

That’s pretty much all I can produce on the topic… :wink: :smiley:

2 Likes

You might find the phrase "llysnafedd Armagedon"useful :grinning: : (My Welsh Beibl (Datguddiad 16:16) just drops one of the "d"s in Armageddon). You may also find use for the phrase “Rhyfeddod llysnafedd” :laughing:

3 Likes

Does this reference the many different colors slime is made? :rofl:

2 Likes

@delawarejones we need a word of the day that does slimy, gooey, sticky, and gross. Perhaps @CatrinLliarJones can help us with all the Welsh words to describe slime. :grin:

2 Likes

And Huw has given us Slime Armagedon to start it up. HA!

2 Likes

And Huw has given us Slime Armagedon

… and Google translate gave it to me. :blush:

2 Likes

1. When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Today I let a man cut a hole in my roof.

2. In which ways are you standing up for what is right?
Using paper straws and shouting about Brexit on Facebook

3. Have you ever proven that necessity is indeed the mother of invention?
Always. I’m a do-er, a maker, a creator. My power drill is always charged and I’ve always a good supply of glue sticks for my glue gun. My most recent ‘invention’ to brighten up my daughter’s dark bedroom is this…

4. Today I am very… much looking forward to a peaceful hour and a half of yoga this evening. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s beautiful, I’d like to have that in my bedroom! :slight_smile:

1 Like