Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday five 15/02/1972

[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:11069”]

1. I’m currently sitting in the kids karate lesson, the dojo walls are full of motivational quotes. Which is your favourite quote in any language?[/quote]

“All men play on ten!” - Manowar.
“It’s all good fun and games till someone losses(sic) an eye.” - J. Hetfield.
“Always weigh your eggs.” - chef dude from our street.
“Trebles for show, doubles for dough.” - no idea.

Not motivational but an emotional quote that I can’t hear without shedding a tear … “What if I were smiling and running into your arms? Would you see then what I see now?” - Christopher McCandless from the film Into the Wild. Everyone should see this film.

2) Talking of childhood classes, what did you enjoy learning as a child, either in school or extra curricular?[/quote]
I always enjoyed learning sports but then at 18 started learning/playing drums.

3) If you had the resources to sign up for any new learning experience now, what would you choose? [/quote]
That’s a difficult one. I would love to be able to play guitar but can’t be bothered learning. :laughing:

3rd in the Llangollen castle race under 18 two years running (pardon the pun).
First in the uk rowing marathon for my age group.

Not through jobs or classes per se but I can do lots of stupid little party tricks like juggling, rubik’s cube, etc.
In the past I’ve rowed 2k on a c2 rower in under 6:30.
I’m very unskilled to be honest.

7 Likes

Perfect - I hope you’re happy to go to sea when we’ve cracked the basics?

1 Like

Why not a bit more wild … like river Soča. :slight_smile: … Or maybe rafting there??? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey G, if you want to play guitar, just find the right motivation for yourself. Duetting/jamming with, say, Meinir Gwilym or Gwyneth Glyn? I don’t know, you need to find it for yourself brother, then it won’t matter…
Pob lŵc!!

1 Like

1) I’m currently sitting in the kids karate lesson, the dojo walls are full of motivational quotes. Which is your favourite quote in any language?

I’m one of those boring people who loves quotes. I used to collect books of them when I was a teenager [sigh :unamused:]

• I often use the quote, Never deprive someone of hope; it might be all they have by the American author Harriett Jackson Brown Jr. It’s a quote I think we need in this world we’re living in.

• I also love repeating favourite quotes from books. One of my most favourite Jane Austen quotes comes from Pride&Prejudice - If any young men come for Mary or Kitty, send them in, for I am quite at leisure.

• And I love, Seth undid yet another button, and lounged away from Stella Gibbons’ Cold Comfort Farm.

• Lastly, Thoreau is always a favourite, especially Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify, simplify and I am a mystic, a transcendentalist, and a natural philosopher to boot.

2) Talking of childhood classes, what did you enjoy learning as a child, either in school or extra curricular?

I used to really enjoy ballet and was told by my teacher that I had a beautiful pointe.

3) If you had the resources to sign up for any new learning experience now, what would you choose?

I would love to experiment with painting - different genres and media. Ooooh and some singing lessons and maybe a little salsa.

4) Do you have a certificate/medal/trophy or any other object celebrating an achievement which you’re particularly proud of?

I have a piercing certificate which I think is quite fun. I’m also quite proud of my driving certificate/licence. I learnt to drive in London and had my first lesson on Kensington High Street in the rush hour. I nailed the driving and was commended by my instructor, but my nerves caused me severe anxiety every time I went to take my test - I passed the fourth time after taking prescribed valium!

5) list up to five obscure or unexpected skills which you’ve learnt in your life through the jobs you’ve done or classes you’ve taken.

• I’m trained in professional massage therapy.
  • I’ve been trained as a Barista
  • I used to be a professional make-up artist
  • I’m good at drawing portraits
  • I can groom a horse
  • I can teach creative writing to young children…

I can stand on my head, make a perfect souffle, spot a great wine at 10 paces, I’m quite accomplished with a power drill, I am the barbecue queen, I’ve an uncanny Indian accent and can dance Bhangra… :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

I know it’s your vocation, but that is quite awesome!!! :star:

Just for being you, I think. :wink:

Do you know @leiafee our resident pilot? Seems you two may have a lot in common! :slight_smile:[quote=“siaronjames, post:2, topic:11069”]
My favourite quote is in the dialect from the Forest of Dean
[/quote]

I lived there for a year - wonderfully magical place. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I do not :slight_smile: I’m not a pilot though, I work for an engine manufacturer, which sounds way more exciting than it is I promise! R

Really? Whereabouts?

Just outside Ruardean for most of 1998. I used to frequent the Malt Shovel. :slight_smile:

Ah, closer to the Herefordshire border than my links which centre on Coleford. Not far from the village whose name always makes me smile though - The Pludds! :smiley:

My brother-in-law has recently retired from Rolls Royce, Derby where he spent much of his time on RB 211 engines and its successors. I often flew in 747s and Tristars and, having seen him work on his car, I was always quite relieved when we landed. :laughing: (No, not really)

1 Like

I remember Coleford well, it felt like Metropolis when I was living on the farm in Ruardean! :joy: I think I may have vague memories of the Angel Hotel there? I also lived with friends in Mitcheldean for a while.

I used to enjoy the ‘Wye Fry’ chip shop in Lydbrook and the ‘Garden Cafe and Galery’ in Lower Lydbrook opposite the river. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In 1998 I was working at Five Acres leisure centre until the end of summer, and my paternal Nan’s family lived in Coleford - I have old family pics from there in the 1920s/30s.

That may or may not be a company with which I am very familiar :wink:

1 Like

Did he drive a Rolls Royce…? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m only going to answer this one, because I’ve been dying to brag about it for decades.

When I was 15 (that’s almost 50 years ago!!!), I earned a Camp Archery Association Bowman First Class medal, took first place in our camp Olympics archery competition, and won the Outstanding Archer trophy for being the best in the camp. Everyone was shocked and amazed (you should have heard the gasp when my name was called for both the medal and the trophy) because up until then, a girl had never done any of those things before. Girls danced and sang, or were in Art and Drama, but not sports.

Yay, me! :grin:

2 Likes