Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 09/05/14

OK, having a go at reviving this fun thread on the new forum! :slight_smile:

1. What are you reading at the moment?

2. Do you have a heart pounding phobia?

3. What’s for dinner when I manage to pop over to yours?

4. What’s the bravest thing you’ve ever done?

5. Your first mad purchase following a huge lottery win would be?

1.What are you reading at the moment?

Just about to start a new book. Choice between Dal i Fynd by Sioned Wiliam or something from my kindle.

2.Do you have a heart pounding phobia?

Public speaking. I avoid it at all costs

3.What’s for dinner when I manage to pop over to yours?

Pulled pork or risotto followed by baked cheesecake.

4.What’s the bravest thing you’ve ever done?

Walking into my job interview at S4C. Never been so nervous in my life!

5.Your first mad purchase following a huge lottery win would be?

Kitchen Aid Mixer and Blender

What are you reading at the moment?

“e-ffrindiau”, “Born to run”, “Thinking, fast and slow”

Do you have a heart pounding phobia?

I once wondered why I was lying down on a metal grill, before realising I’d looked down while walking up the Eiffel Tower and had passed out. I don’t like heights.

What’s for dinner when I manage to pop over to yours?

Whatever my gifted cook of a wife wants. She makes an excellent pizza, and the world’s best chocolate brownies. The World’s Best.

What’s the bravest thing you’ve ever done?

Nothing springs to mind, I’m not that interesting. Possibly playing at St. David’s Hall, Royal Festival Hall or EuroDisney, but none of those are meaningfully brave.

Your first mad purchase following a huge lottery win would be?

Either an upright, or possibly a new house so I could fit a grand in. Then maybe a few more guitars. And a couple of drum kits. And a xylophone.

Wait, you only wanted my first?

Hunllef by Manon Steffan Ros in the Stori Sydyn series. Is there anything that woman can’t do?

Heights and talking to a class of school children in my second language.

A huge curry followed by a baked cheesecake (SJ and I need to compare notes).

Getting together with my wife. There’s a long story for another day. :wink:

Houses … A lot of people would be mortgage or rent free very soon. :wink:

I wish I could pretend it were something Welsh, but it’s not, I’m reading Scandalous Risks by Susan Howatch, an ecclesiastical boddice-ripper that I simply adore, and that makes me giggle uncontrollably at regular intervals on the bus. Next on my list to read is ‘Under Milk Wood’.

1. Do you have a heart pounding phobia?

It used to be wasps, but I am gradually getting over that one. I am starting to inherit hubby’s phobia of moths.

1. What’s for dinner when I manage to pop over to yours?

Depends which night you pick! I recommend Thursday night, which is chilli night, with a drop of red wine, candles and lots of laughter.

1. What’s the bravest thing you’ve ever done?

Standing up in front of my school class and admitting that I had lied about having a game I wrote accepted by a computing magazine. I did write a game, and I did submit it, but I never heard. I was only about 13 years old. Silly boy. I felt like I went crimson with embarrassment, but afterwards, a girl came up to me and comforted me. – Gosh, I don’t think I’ve ever told anyone that!

1. Your first mad purchase following a huge lottery win would be?

That’s a toughie. Assuming it were a huge win, we would have a house built from scratch somewhere out in the sticks. I’d love it to be southern or western Wales. Big conservatory, water reclamation, solar panels, a wind turbine, and a big flagpole with Y Ddraig Goch outside.

“What are you reading at the moment?”

People - lots of people - lots of people in small places - people!

Something tasty, without spice and smelly stuff, so can really taste what you’re eating.

Stood up to bullies. But then again, perhaps it can hardly be brave to stand taller than something so low.

A huge workshop/garage - fully kitted out, with an annex for woodworking on one side, and one for painting on the other. Ahhhhh - dreams…

PS: I have no idea what’s happened to the formatting. Don’t try using Notepad off-line is my advice!

@Kev - that Daniel Kahneman is a real cracker. Definitely on my ‘will need a few more reads’ list…:slight_smile:

‘The Happiness Manifesto’ and ‘Betterness: Economics for Humans’.

Heights. Or, to be more precise, depths…:wink:

Chicken pie with home-made pastry.

Spend my step-father’s last week in hospital with him.

A lot of books.

I’m so glad this is back!!!

Dewi Prysor’s “Crawia” This book has been a colloquial Welsh goldmine for me. I read it over and over…
I have a fear of people with O.C.D…
Roast meat, vegetables, roast tats, Yorkshire pudding…
Standing up against a couple of bullies when they crossed a line: “my line”
Buy a liitle place in Cwm Dyffryn Nantlle. (That’s not actually mad)

Am re-reading Italo Calvino’s Baron in the Trees because it’s wonderful and reminds me of someone I once met who led a very similar life.

2. Do you have a heart pounding phobia?
    Probably speaking Welsh at work (that’s one I’m going to get over - roll on bootcamp!). Used to be public speaking - got over that one too…

3. What’s for dinner when I manage to pop over to yours?
    Am a rubbish cook. Best we meet in a pub.

4. What’s the bravest thing you’ve ever done?
    Becoming a Dad - we’re all heroes really :wink:

5. Your first mad purchase following a huge lottery win would be?
    I’d head over to Kiva.org and make a lot of people’s lives a whole lot better.

Peter Ackroyd’s version of The Canterbury Tales, Vikings by Neil Oliver and ermmmm, Railway Modeller mag :frowning:

Dentistry

Mrs G’s lamb, jersey royal tatws & broccoli

Much the same as Geraint really, a leap of faith with the future Mrs G ( good result ) oh , and fessing up to the Railway Modeller mag

Macclesfield Town FC or maybe Blencathra , then give it to the NT

Nothing! Have a pile of books by my bed but by the time I’m done with kids/house/school duties and family commitments I don’t have the concentration to read.

Spiders, but I’m trying to heal myself. :wink:

I’m fancying authentic moussaka followed by lemon syllabub.

30hrs of labour and birth / resitting my math GCSE in a local high school at the age of 27 (with all the other kids!) / sleeping with a wolf spider under my bed in Ghana

Big win - land +self build +SSiW commune/permanent Bootcamp.

Small win - 4 berth, end bathroom caravan with awning. :slight_smile:

I love reading these! It’s still Friday somewhere, isn’t it?

“Where the hell is God?” by Richard Leonard, SJ.

Balloons. can not even.

What’s for dinner…?

Pimped-out mac’n’cheese. I’m classy like that.

Telling my mum I’m bisexual. Oi. Funny how bravery mostly just feels terrifying.

Your first mad purchase following a lottery win would be?

Tix for my bestie to go to Disneyland. Or a grand piano. Or two mortgage-free tiny houses (one for me, one for the piano). Or a TV show.

Bywyd Blodwen Jones, lol. I’ve been reading it for months, but I get discouraged and put it back down pretty quickly. I’ve been doing better with it lately. And a whole bunch of textbooks because I’m a postgraduate student.

I have dreadful social anxiety/social phobia. This is one of the many reasons I am so nervous about bootcamp. :wink:

Chicken pesto bake with rice - cooked by my husband. Or whatever you want, really. Just let us know.

One of the bravest things I’ve done was leaving home at 18.

A house! A beautiful house! And then pay off student loans, lol.

What a great thread! I’ve enjoyed reading all your posts.

In bed: Mansfield Park by Jane Austen on my Kindle. In the bath: The Nation’s Favourite Poems - it’s all crinkly and damp now.

Yep another one with the social phobia. Totally. Heart. Pounding. I can hide it though.

Dunno, what did you bring? :wink: I make a nice lentil and pasta bake and also a decent mushroom risotto.

Learned to swim in my thirties after being scared of water all my life.

Art - would love some original works but even limited edition prints are out of my price range right now.

Amy wrote: I love reading these! It’s still Friday somewhere, isn’t it?

Yep, but it’s definitely the penwythnos (weekend) everywhere! :wink:

dinas wrote: I’m so glad this is back!!!

Seconded. Yay Catrin! <3

Andy wrote: Blencathra, then give it to the NT

Wait, Blencathra doesn’t belong to the NT? Who owns it then? I’ve been on it and I never got shot at. :wink:

Anyway… my answers…

I tend to overlap books a lot, but the three most recently-accessed unfinished books on my Kindle account are:

• “Liars and Outliers” by Bruce Schneier
  • “A Dance with Dragons” by GRR Martin (this series is getting a bit tedious, but I’m determined to battle through because I need to know what happens!)
  • “Dune” by Frank Herbert (I read it as a teenager, but have been rereading it recently)

Being confined in a tiny space, unable to move or escape. I learned to deal with elevators as a child, but if one ever got stuck, I think I’d lose the plot. Someone once locked me in a storage room when I was in primary school, for about 5 seconds - he realised pretty quickly that something was seriously wrong…

Stew and dumplings. My absolute favourite of my mum’s recipes from when I was a kid, and I asked her to teach me when I was 18.

Telling my half sister (who was 12 at the time) that our father had died. Then - fair play to her! - the two of us telling our (half-)brother together. (Woah, that just got a bit real, didn’t it?)

Right now, I’d jump on a plane and go walking in the Lake District. Then, after seeing some family and friends, I’d come back here to New York because it’s awesome, and continue writing code for SSi, but for free (seriously!). In the longer term, my answer would be: ALL THE PLANE TICKETS.

Blencathra belongs to Lord Lonsdale and he’s selling it to pay death duties. There’s a big campaign to raise the £1.75 million to buy it so that it doesn’t become another bit of China or Russia. Have a look at @helpblencathra. How can anyone own a mountain ?

Ifan wrote: (Woah, that just got a bit real, didn’t it?)

Just a bit … :frowning:

I think that talking about stuff that really matters on a forum is pretty high up there in the brave stakes, and it means a huge amount to me that this community is the kind of place where people feel able to be so brave. :stars-to-all-of-you:

Let’s have a go at this (even though it is actually nos Sadwrn!)

E-ffrindau by Louis Arnold (book) and Fluent in 3 Months by Benny Lewis (Kindle (app for iPad)).

I also cannot do public speaking - especially to large groups of people. I proper “umm” and “err” when I do!

Depends what day you turn up! Most days it’s chilli (nuclear hot), but on the rare occasion I do make a rather delicious paella :blush:

It’s another public speaking stint - the first time I was Best man doing my speech. Proper bag of nerves I was, and I eventually ditched my written speech part the way through and spoke from the heart instead! I survived though…

Will have to be a nice big house somewhere on the Wales Coast. I have seen a place in Llanelli overlooking the Carmarthen Bay for ÂŁ750k, so maybe not such a mad purchase. Maybe I could fund a trip along the entire Welsh coastline first to see where else I could buy a nice big house!

Also on a Game of Thrones kick. On Storm of Swords but in a sort of confused not sure whether or not I like it and yet I find myself on the third installment.

Edit, oh and the mention of Dwei Pws in another thread has reminded me that the other book I’ve got on the go is his Straeon Tafarn - from the S4C series of the same name.

Nothing stronger than “urggh” or stomach flutters.

Takeaway.

First solo when learning to fly. I was so scared when my instructor told me that he was going to get out, that my ears were ringing and when I was testing the engine before take off I couldn’t tell if it was vibrating oddly or if my knees were just knocking and I had to take my feet off the pedals and press them to the floor to check! That fear all went out like a light when I opened the throttle though.

A house with enough land to land an aeroplane and enough space to build one.