Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 09/03/2018

Sorry I’m late today! I hope you are all well and I hope you all have a fabulous weekend ahead.

1. Today, the kids school belatedly celebrated World Book Day - if you were to do the same which book would you chose to take to school and which character would you chose to dress up as.

2. Because world book day and International Women’s Day were so close together, Angharad decided to go to school dressed as Frida Kahlo. On a similar theme, if you were to attend a heroes and heroines party, who would you go as?

3. Who made you feel good this week and how did they do it?

4. What is the worst travel experience you’ve ever had?

5. Tell us about something you passionately believe in.

Hwyl fawr! :smile:

1) Today, the kids school belatedly celebrated World Book Day - if you were to do the same which book would you chose to take to school and which character would you chose to dress up as.

Got to be the Phantom of the Opera. Love that mask.

2) Because world book day and International Women’s Day were so close together, Angharad decided to go to school dressed as Frida Kahlo. On a similar theme, if you were to attend a heroes and heroines party, who would you go as?

I was going to go for Richard Feynman, but Catrin tells me it’s got to be Marcus Aurelius.

3) Who made you feel good this week and how did they do it?

Iestyn told me not to work too many hours a day… :slight_smile:

4) What is the worst travel experience you’ve ever had?

Missing a plane to South Africa. :scream:

5) Tell us about something you passionately believe in.

The right for Welsh speakers to lead a normal life through their own language. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Go @Iestyn !!! :wink:

4 Likes

I was going to go for Richard Feynman

Excellent choice, but what would you wear or would you just carry a set of bongo drums or would you talk Welsh with a Noo Yak accent? :laughing:

1 Like
  1. Could be interesting. My 2 favourite books are Black Beauty, and Testament of Youth. On the whole, a nurse uniform is going to be slightly easier to sort out, than a horse costume. Although Dobbin from Rentaghost would be fun.

2. Vera Brittain - the reason I became a nurse.

3. My neighbour, who puts up with my awful accent, and bad attempts at speaking, and barely even blushed when I made a right mess of something, and was apparently quite rude (by total accident )

4. A work based trip to Paris. Having breakfast on the last day, my bag was grabbed, and I gave chase in fury, and suddenly found myself alone, 5 floors above the restaurant, going out of a fire escape onto a flat roof, before my sensible head returned and I realised what a silly position I was in, and that the bag + contents are replaceable. However, I did have to talk my way back into England via Eurostar with no passport and no actual ticket.

5. Training horses kindly.

3 Likes

1) …which book would you chose to take to school and which character would you chose to dress up as.
Wind in the Willows - I suspect those of you who know me would immediately guess Mr Toad - well, actually … you’re right.:blush:

2) …if you were to attend a heroes and heroines party, who would you go as?
Darcey Bussell - The greatest ballet dancer ever in my not-at-all-humble opinion. Not sure if I could carry off the tutu, though.

My granddaughter by tellling me she loved me

Sadly, most train journeys to or from Aberystwyth when I actuall needed to be somewhere at a certain time. I’m retired now so it doesn’t matter as much.

Education open to all irrespective of race, gender or financial status.

2 Likes

1) Today, the kids school belatedly celebrated World Book Day - if you were to do the same which book would you chose to take to school and which character would you chose to dress up as.
I would go as a loaf of bread - Blasu gan Manon Steffan Ros

2) Because world book day and International Women’s Day were so close together, Angharad decided to go to school dressed as Frida Kahlo. On a similar theme, if you were to attend a heroes and heroines party, who would you go as?
I would go as Greg Mortenson - he wrote Three Cups of Tea. It’s a book about how he started building schools for children in Baltistan.

I won the CD&T and Staff Recognition Awards for Welsh this week - therefore, Kate Williams and George Hooper - my nominees.

Prague - I got a stomach bug. Couldn’t leave the hotel.

Preservation of the Welsh language.

However, I will talk about how frustrating treating people passively can be. I have worked in orthopaedics and witnessed how passively expecting health care to make you better has been so detrimental to peoples’ lives. Take control of your health - medicine does not make you better. It treats your symptoms (for most chronic conditions). Exercise, eat well, be happy. Don’t let chemicals rule your lives.

7 Likes

Assuming I can choose a wide range of years in school, as this would probably bore younger kids to death… IN THIS HOUSE OF BREDE by Rumer Godden, which is my favorite book in all the world. Of all the nuns to dress up as, I’d choose Dame Philippa, because in the course of the book, we see her in everything from stylish lay clothes through all the stages of Benedictine habit changes: postulant, novice, simply professed, solemnly professed choir nun. She doesn’t get to wear a wedding dress at her clothing ceremony because she enters as a widow, but that’s no big deal to me.

I’m probably not supposed to inject anything even vaguely political here, but I’d go as Hillary Clinton (hey, I’d look good in a nice burgundy pantsuit :relaxed: ). She’s spent her entire life in service, particularly to children and paving the way for women’s opportunities, and she deserves to be recognized for that.

@CatrinLliarJones and a lot of other lovely ladies on Facebook. I had a do-I-have-breast-cancer? scare and their support and well-wishes made me feel a whole lot better. I don’t have it, by the way. Talk about dodging a bullet…

This wasn’t exactly travel-for-pleasure, but the normally pleasant summer weather in Southern California was a bear when I had to fly out there for my mother’s funeral. For nine days running, it was 113 F (45 C); and, since my mother never felt hot no matter what the temperature was, she had neither air conditioning nor fans in her house. Ugh.

That no one (like me) who reaches the age of 50 and still acts/feels like a child ever has to grow up. You need only look at my houseful of Squishables, stuffed animals, action figures, and other toys to know that.

Of course, there are other, much more serious things, but until I’m notified otherwise, this is not the forum in which to expound upon them.

2 Likes
  1. The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov because it’s one of my favourite books and I would dress as Behemoth, a giant walking, talking black cat because as every parent knows the key to a successful World Book Day costume is ease of creation on the lowest budget possible :-). For a black cat costume you just need to wear all black clothes, stick cardboard ears on an Alice band and stuff one leg of a pair of old black tights to make a tail. Then an eyeliner pencil creates easy whiskers! Sorted!

2. Love Frida, if my youngest had been a girl he would have been Elfrida, after the first crowned queen of England, but shortened to Frida because Frida Kahlo. Instead he’s Alaric, after the Visigothic King who conquered Rome in 410AD… Heroes and heroines. :slight_smile: I’m particularly fond of the dramatic of tragic life of Isadora Duncan who one of my girls is named after and she’d be pretty easy to dress up as. My true heroes and heroines are not easy to costume but I know who they are and that’s all that matters :slight_smile:

3. One of my work colleagues made me feel good when they told me how much they valued my help with something they were working on. I get a real buzz out of helping people solve problems.

4. I think missing a transatlantic flight a couple of months ago was pretty bad as I get stressed when travelling anyway and as a result I had to wait many hours in an airport and divert my journey and lost a day I had planned for meetings. Nonetheless the worst was the journey I mentioned last week when on an internal Russian flight on a dodgy old plane with a serious lack of consideration for safety which got diverted in a bad storm during terrible turbulence.

5. The value of multilingualism during childhood. On many occasions I have been told that it harms children’s development bringing them up bilingual and creating a multilingual environment at home to encourage them that language learning is normal and fun. Apparently I’m confusing them. Not seen any damage yet and my oldest is nearly 12 ;-).

3 Likes

This made me imagine you as such immediatelly … (for who knows what reason really???)

THIS!!!

Two of us (at least) here! My shelfs in my computer room are full of LEGO Bionicle heroes and villains …

Not true at all! I’ve lived to see in real life that such kids are smarter, can create more opportunities for further times in life also and are (at least here in my country) far more popular from those who were brought up mono-lingual. So long live, not just bi, but multilingualism in childhood ages!.

Well, now to my own pondering of thoughts …

1. You don’t know the book, but I’d bring the book “Poletje v školjki 2” (The Summer in the Sea Shell 2) book by Vitan Mal by which the movie was made as well and I’d probably be (ignore my too “widespread” form though) dressed as one of those heroic dancers of the dancing shcool who went dancing on the streets of Ljubljana in order to save the building and the training facility of their dancing school which was aimed to be leveled to the ground. At the end they’ve got all who were involved in this into their facility by some trick and they made the final dancing performance which was something beyond their limitations. Yes, I’d be one of those dancers! Here’s that protest dance on the street (from 54:58) but if you want you can watch the whole movie. You don’t need much of translation to understand the dancing, do you?

2. Regardless I’m not a man …

In this insert you might pick out why.

3. Many people do but this week it stand out two workers from our company’s own Radio Aktual who brought us flowers for International Women’s day. This was really pleasant surprise which didn’t occur before.

And the second person was one of this community (that one knows who they are) thanking me for something what I considder totally normal to do in the course of life. (this particular person knows what it was). :slight_smile: Thank you.

4. The trip to (at that time still) Chechoslovakia where on the way home we travelled 32 hours by bus to reach home. It was tiring and frustrating, hot and really unpleasant journey and it occured because of some unobidient passengers who didn’t do some things according to driver’s instructions. We all payed the price …

5. Some above by others mentioned things + honesty, justice and freedom to live the life everyone wants in peace and prosperity. The most I believe that kids everywhere should be equally treated with respect, dignity and maximum health care and education. I strongly believe that for those impared kids who bearly begin to live their lives, the aids they need should be the best the world has and absolutely for free! in order that parents wouldn’t need to spend fortune for the things/aids without which little/young human being is not able to live normal life. Well, I believe this forum isn’t to explain my beliefs in detail though but I believe you all can understand what I mean.

3 Likes
  1. I would dress up as a character from Jane Austen if nothing was off the table, just to be dressed like a regency era countrywoman! Bring on the reenactment!

2. I’d go as my heroine, Flannery O’Connor, who is one of my favorite authors. I’d need a vintage dress, some peacocks, coke-bottle glasses, and a wicked tongue!

3. My Welsh tutor spent an extra two hours with me after class to help me memorize my recitation for the 'steddfod! She told me she was really proud of me for doing it, and her actions spoke even louder than those encouraging words.

4. Having my late night flight canceled in Rome. It was one of the smaller, satellite airports, and there was no public transportation for me to go back home, and I had no car, so I had wait out the whole night in a nearly deserted terminal for the next flight which wasn’t until morning! I got to Venice and was so tired that I went right to the hostel and slept the first half of my day there.

5. I am parent to a severely autistic seven-year-old, so I feel very passionately about mainstreaming and normalizing ASD and educating people about it, with hopes to making society a more autism-friendly place.

5 Likes

I would cheat, and take two books:
“Three Men in a Boat (to say nothing of the dog)” and
“Three Men on the Bummel”

Both by Jerome K Jerome

If I were 3-4 stone lighter, I might dress up in the kind of silly summer clothes that George, Harris and J probably wore on their boating trip.

If I were taller and slimmer, I might go as “Strider”/“Aragorn” from Lord of The Rings.
As I’m short and fat, it had better be Tony Hancock… :wink:

Similar to Huw, my grandson made me happy this weekend. He seems to have become really sociable just lately (I think nursery is good for him). We went to a crowded family & friends wedding, and (to my relief and surprise), he didn’t seem a bit fazed by the crowds, and allowed himself to be picked up by aunts and cousins he’d never or rarely met, and wowed them all. I hope he’ll be much more extrovert and have much more confidence with people than I ever had.

Nothing too bad, except an embarassing dose of Montezuma’s Revenge, after eating either (a) asparagus (it was the season) or (b) dodgy fish, while on a cycling holiday in northern Germany.

Two of my current passions are either too political or too controversial for this forum, so I will keep stumm about those.

In my way, I am quite passionate about language learning, although time and old(er) age mean I’m slightly more relaxed about it than I was.

Like many people, I really hate injustice and inequality, although that’s a negative emotion. The difficult thing is remaining positive and actually doing something about it.

3 Likes

I would take Pride and Prejudice as I am a passionate Austen fan. I would most definitely dress as Elizabeth Bennet, like @christiericardo I also have a love of Regency dress. But if Lizzie was already taken I would revel in being Mrs Bennet for the day! :wink:

Frida Kahlo
Eleanor Roosevelt
Irena Sendler
Susan B. Anthony
Millicent Fawcett
Eva Peron

How to choose???

I feel very stretched at the moment and a little emotionally exhausted, as I seem to be the centre of emotional support for many loved ones who are going through difficult times. Aran has always been there for me, but today, he has been a rock. Tired himself from too many 12 hour days of late. today he has put his own troubles to one side and both physically and emotionally held me up with an understanding ear and plenty of cwtshis.

Travelling home from Ghana with Salmonella. An aggressive strain of Salmonella previously unrecorded in the UK. I contracted it in the last 48 hours of a month long trip. I had been both travelling the country and volunteer teaching in the Volta Region whilst eating perfectly wonderful freshly cooked meals on roadsides and makeshift open air kitchens with village families for four weeks. Then before leaving and whilst in the capital enjoying a farewell meal in a supposedly reputable restaurant I ate some dodgy calamari… I should have known better. Flying from Ghana to Zurich, then from Zurich to Manchester then a car journey from Manchester to Pwllheli with aggressive Salmonella was a nightmare.

Equality, always - gender, race, sexual orientation, nationality… the list goes on.

7 Likes