Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday five - 06/04/18

Bore da! I hope you are all well and are looking forward to an enjoyable weekend.

Today’s questions are all centred around living a better life…

1. Name three things you consume because you believe them to be beneficial to your health.

2. Name one thing you must do more of and one thing you must do less of.

3. Recommended to us a lifestyle change.

4. If I were to come and stay with you for a week, what would I expect to find in my diet for those seven days?

5. If you had unlimited finances and time to spend on improving your health and happiness, what would your plan be for the rest of the year?

Penwythnos hapus iawn i chi gyd! :grinning:

Kombucha
Butter
More butter

More laughing, dancing, and speaking Welsh. Less tutting, worrying, and eye rolling.

Give up the refined carbs…
Oh and find something to smile about every day.

All the things you like. You might have to tell me what they are though! :grin:

I fear it may take me the rest of the year to decide!!!

1 Like

I used to drink it regularly, but haven’t had any for many years. Do you ferment it yourself?[quote=“cat-1, post:2, topic:11778”]
Give up the refined carbs…
[/quote]

Yes, this.

1 Like

My husband, Henry does! He does a few flavours too - jasmine, strawberry and peppermint.

• Vitamin D tablets; Protein Drinks; Gwin Coch.
  1. More Welsh conversation practice; Less work (roll on retirement!.
  2. Take up cycling.
  3. Whatever you fancied.
  4. Buy a new, top if the range road bike and retire.
1 Like
  1. Name three things you consume because you believe them to be beneficial to your health.
    Glucosamine and chondroitin tablets. (I think they do keep the arthritis in check.)
    Broccoli. I don’t really like it, but I tolerate it.
    Spinach.

2. Name one thing you must do more of and one thing you must do less of.
    Exercise.
    Eat sweet stuff.

3. Recommended to us a lifestyle change.
    Spend less time in front of the computer. I don’t see myself ever managing that.

4. If I were to come and stay with you for a week, what would I expect to find in my diet for those seven days?
    I would do my best, but I was never an imaginative cook. I can do traditional roasts and old-fashioned stuff. I would hope that you would bring lots of suggestions.

5. If you had unlimited finances and time to spend on improving your health and happiness, what would your plan be for the rest of the year?
    I find it hard to imagine the unlimited finances bit, having been brought up to be careful with money. In theory I do have unlimited time, but it seems to have filled up with various committments. That’s good, because I like to feel useful. The thought of pamper days etc. fills me with horror, so nothing like that. Nothing involving air travel. It would be nice to treat a family member or a friend to a seaside holiday and go for walks together. Did I say that I have no imagination?

2 Likes

4) If I were to come and stay with you for a week, what would I expect to find in my diet for those seven days?

Exactly what you normally eat, because I wouldn’t dream of inflicting my own (or any other diet) on anyone else.

5) If you had unlimited finances and time to spend on improving your health and happiness, what would your plan be for the rest of the year?

Finance isn’t the problem, nor time really. It’s more a question of sticking to my plan.

I have answers to the other questions, but they are too controversial for a general forum.

1) Name three things you consume because you believe them to be beneficial to your health.
Dark chocolate.
Porridge.
Fruit and veg.

2) Name one thing you must do more of and one thing you must do less of.
More exercise (I’ve been slacking lately).
Less thinking.

3) Recommend to us a lifestyle change.
Stop eating meat and dairy.

4) If I were to come and stay with you for a week, what would I expect to find in my diet for those seven days?
Whatever you cook. :laughing:

5) If you had unlimited finances and time to spend on improving your health and happiness, what would your plan be for the rest of the year?
Cycling and a personal, knowledgeable chef.

2 Likes

Can I come too? I love a roast…

Kiwi fruit.
Porridge.
Crisps.
Two out of three ain’t bad :notes:

1. Name one thing you must do more of and one thing you must do less of.

More chatting to friends.
Less day-dreaming.

1. Recommended to us a lifestyle change.

Eat more fruit!

1. If I were to come and stay with you for a week, what would I expect to find in my diet for those seven days?

Whatever you wanted, ‘cos I’d like you to be happy! Or if you left it to me, something from the Hairy Dieters cookbook, so probably best to leave it a month before you visit!

1. If you had unlimited finances and time to spend on improving your health and happiness, what would your plan be for the rest of the year?

Buy a large, crewed, sailing vessel. Then tell the skipper to take us somewhere interesting, picking up friends on the way.

1 Like

1) Name three things you consume because you believe them to be beneficial to your health.

Papaya enzyme (supposed to be good for the digestion, plus it’s delicious), calcium, and big honking multi-vitamins for women over 50. Don’t know how healthy those last two horse pills will be when I strangle on them, though.

Gotta walk more. Gotta sit around less!

3) Recommended to us a lifestyle change.

Laugh. Lots. :grin::grin::grin:

Local seafood! OMG, I love fish and shellfish, and I hope you do, too.

Also salads with lots of different veggies and roasted or seared chicken done different ways: blackened, taco-seasoned, cumin-seasoned, etc. I can make it a shrimp, crab, or lobster salad instead, if you like.

Lobster rolls. Especially lobster rolls garnished with bacon. Yummmm.

If you want something else, just tell me. I love to cook, and I’m good at it.

LOL! I’d go on a round-and-round-and-round-the-world cruise, and spend all my time in a sea-view gym/spa. Then I’d blow it all by eating too much.

Ahhh, who am I kidding? I’d sit in a deck chair on my private verandah, breathing the salt air and watching the sea go by (and then I’d eat too much). Forget shore excursions; I’d never get off the ship. Well, maybe I’ll get off when the ship pulls into my home port so I can run home, pick up the mail, do a few loads of laundry, and pack some different clothes.

1 Like

Eggs - an eggcellent source of protein and fat.
Broccoli - I’ve always loved broccoli and, psychologically, I feel cleansed after eating it.
Sweet potato - I could eat this for every meal and dessert. Great source of vitamin C and carbohydrate. It’s low GI too.

More of - meditating or clearing my mind exercises
Less of - social media

Try cutting out all added sugar and sucrose for 2 weeks. This includes alcohol, processed foods, sugar in hot drinks, fizzy drinks, fruit juices. See what impact it has on your energy and your weight.

Lots of sweet potato, mostly baked. Lean meats like chicken and red meats with less than 10% fat. Avocado, eggs, nuts - for our fat source.

We tend to have a lot of tomato based sources and curries - all from scratch so we know what we’ve added.

I would work between 11am and 5pm, I would want to hold on to a job because it’s important to be part of something more than just your own life. I enjoy helping people to get better, both patients and colleagues. My job would be partially clinical but also have a role as a performance manager and career developer. I would go to the gym before and after work. I’d have a day off to prep all of our weekly food.

Also, I’d extend our honeymoon for 3 more weeks to really make the most of Fiji and New Zealand.

1 Like

Eggs
Butter
Curcumin

More: Exercise bike. (Just need to find a place for it now that we don’t have the chalet any more).

Less: the Movie Night pizza trap.

Yeah, the sugar/carbs thing. I don’t reckon Big Sugar has all that much longer to go before it starts to run into some nasty class action suits.

Only the World’s Best Scrambled Eggs. You’re welcome.

Make space for the exercise bike.
Buy a bunch of extra (expensive) supplements.
Face up to surgery on the back.
Meditate more.

2 Likes

• High strength Vitamin-C (and all the pre-menopausal supplements one can fit in a small medicine cupboard)
  • Avocados, green leaves, tomatoes, nuts (almost every meal)
  • Peppermint tea

Yoga
Late nights

Get rid of the big starchy carbs

Free range chicken cooked in various ways (wrapped in bacon/in a chicken and leek pie/home made Korma/authentic enchiladas), fresh salads, baked salmon, red wine, nuts, cheeses, strawberries and cream.

Personal Yoga trainer.
Work on strengthening my core muscles.
Finish my novel.
Spend a day handling birds of prey.
Draw a portrait of my children.
Spend as much time as possible in the garden with friends and family - once it’s had some work done on it!

1 Like