Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 06/03/2020 5️⃣

Figuring out and assuaging the demands of the lovely, lovely student loans people. They become more eccentric year after year, bless them. Or is that me?

Now.

If I was lucky enough to be anywhere in Wales this weekend doing anything at all I wouldn’t need to choose. See No 5b for what I was doing instead.

A wicker stag’s head, an oversized wooden duck with questionable anatomy, a lamp masquerading as a sea monster, a pale pink, wooden, wind up rocking horse (with a clown on top) that rotates in your direction (wherever you go) and really ought to have its own M.R. James story, and a collection of goose feathers.

Two possibilities…
The day I saw the census that told me that my grandfather’s family were all Welsh speakers,
or
today (and every other day this winter), in a field, muttering under my breath in Welsh to two Welsh ponies, in less than clement weather, all of us wishing we were halfway up a Welsh mountain, preferably on the non rainy side.
:blush:

4 Likes

Is this at work, or in your house?! Please tell me you’re at home. That clown is horrifying, though…

2 Likes

I’m afraid that’s one corner of one room at mine. I’m fairly sure people just tramp in, leave something odd and then pootle off again.

Oh yes. I daren’t touch it. It even plays a tune, and once it’s run down it keeps making random plunking noises when someone walks past. :grimacing::fearful:

2 Likes

1) What haven’t you done that you should have?

The washing-up.
Apparently.

2) When was the last time you had to cut a long story short?

I’m with Aran, I never say a word when a sentence will do…

3) If you could be anywhere in Wales this weekend doing anything at all, what would you choose?

Walking around Castell-Y-Bere, using my imagination.

4) Name 5 interesting or obscure things you can see from where you’re sitting.

Slate coaster bought at Inigo Jones, Caernarfon.
Helium balloon left over from wifeys birthday on the 3rd. Really can’t understand why it’s still floating with so little gas left…
Calendar from 2018.
Decanter with some port left over from Christmas.
Birthday card that should be posted to my niece in New Zealand last week. Something else I should have done :disappointed:

5) What’s the Welshest you’ve ever been?

Watched an Autumn international wearing Welsh-flag-everything. Especially the boxers…

3 Likes

1) What haven’t you done that you should have?

Finish painting the house

2) When was the last time you had to cut a long story short?

Never

3) If you could be anywhere in Wales this weekend doing anything at all, what would you choose?
Climbing Yr Wyddfa

4) Name 5 interesting or obscure things you can see from where you’re sitting.

"Understanding Second language Acquisition’ newly arrived book
Two caricatures of a local politician, one called “…Off”, you can guess the other, housewarming present from friends
An apricot rose in the garden
Baner Gymreig
A knitted Welsh puppet

5) What’s the Welshest you’ve ever been?
I think it was when BBC Cymru interviewed me at an Eisteddfod a few years back
[/quote]

3 Likes