Pump am y Penwythnos - Friday Five 05/05/17

Soooooooooo… here goes…

1. Today is Cinco de Mayo! Do you have any Mexican favourites? Food/music/film/book?

2. Let’s talk stuck song syndrome. What new thing are you currently humming along to and what oldie keeps reoccurring time and time again?

3. I know someone who likes to collect souvenir teaspoons, I know someone who has a secret passion for Doris Day movies and I recently discovered that someone I know is quite a dab hand at home brewing exotic wines! Complete this sentence about yourself - I’m a closet…

4. Lets talk modes of transport. Yesterday the garage told me that due to recent, surprising damage to our car and the nature of where we now live, we need to be driving a 4X4. But because we often have my nieces with us, we need one with 7 seats! So yet again I have one eye firmly fixed on AutoTrader reviews. Please bore us with your current (favourite) choice of transport - car/motorbike/pushbike/MPV/4X4/horse/walking shoes/scooter/plane/train/boat/space hopper/bus/saloon/coupe…?

5. Share a favourite poem in any language

1 Like

Today is Cinco de Mayo! Do you have any Mexican favourites? Food/music/film/book?

YES. Refried beans, guacamole, Pan’s Labyrinth, and whatever we eat tonight… :slight_smile:

What new thing are you currently humming along to and what oldie keeps reoccurring time and time again?

New thing: Bad Reaction, by one of my students: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RQu-Fk6cmM

Old irritant: I have to be very careful to keep ‘Big Spender’ from getting a foothold. I don’t even like Shirley Bassey.

Complete this sentence about yourself - I’m a closet…

…fan of The Sound of Music. [After 14 years of constant brainwashing].

Please bore us with your current (favourite) choice of transport

I WANT A TESLA.

Share a favourite poem in any language

Cilmeri - Gerallt Lloyd Owen

Fin nos fan hyn
Lladdwyd Llywelyn.
Fyth nid anghofiwn hyn.

Y nant a welaf fan hyn
A welodd Llywelyn,
Camodd ar y cerrig hyn.

Fin nos, fan hyn
O’r golwg nesâi’r gelyn.
Fe wnaed y cyfan fan hyn.

Rwyf fi’n awr fan hyn
Lle bu’i wallt ar welltyn,
A dafnau o’i waed fan hyn.

Fan hyn yw ein cof ni,
Fan hyn sy’n anadl inni,
Fan hyn gynnau fu’n geni.

or

Che fece… il gran refiuto - Constantine Cavafy

For some people the day comes
when they have to declare the great Yes
or the great No. It’s clear at once who has the Yes
ready within him; and saying it,

he goes from honor to honor, strong in his conviction.
He who refuses does not repent. Asked again,
he’d still say no. Yet that no—the right no—
drags him down all his life.

or

La Figlia Che Piange - T. S. Eliot

Stand on the highest pavement of the stair—
Lean on a garden urn—
Weave, weave the sunlight in your hair—
Clasp your flowers to you with a pained surprise—
Fling them to the ground and turn
With a fugitive resentment in your eyes:
But weave, weave the sunlight in your hair.

So I would have had him leave,
So I would have had her stand and grieve,
So he would have left
As the soul leaves the body torn and bruised,
As the mind deserts the body it has used.
I should find
Some way incomparably light and deft,
Some way we both should understand,
Simple and faithless as a smile and shake of the hand.

She turned away, but with the autumn weather
Compelled my imagination many days,
Many days and many hours:
Her hair over her arms and her arms full of flowers.
And I wonder how they should have been together!
I should have lost a gesture and a pose.
Sometimes these cogitations still amaze
The troubled midnight and the noon’s repose.

1 Like

[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:8136”]
Lets talk modes of transport. Yesterday the garage told me that due to recent, surprising damage to our car and the nature of where we now live, we need to be driving a 4X4. But because we often have my nieces with us, we need one with 7 seats! So yet again I have one eye firmly fixed on AutoTrader reviews. Please bore us with your current (favourite) choice of transport - car/motorbike/pushbike/MPV/4X4/horse/walking shoes/scooter/plane/train/boat/space hopper/bus/saloon/coupe…?
[/quote]

Bicycle, but I’m thinking of revisiting my 9,10,11…year old self, and getting a scooter (push along, not motor!).

Living near the Thames, I quite fancy a Canadian-style open canoe, and/or an electric-powered dinghy (although I suspect the logistics of getting it recharged might be too much of a challenge).

2 Likes

[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:8136”]
Lets talk modes of transport. Yesterday the garage told me that due to recent, surprising damage to our car and the nature of where we now live, we need to be driving a 4X4. But because we often have my nieces with us, we need one with 7 seats! So yet again I have one eye firmly fixed on AutoTrader reviews. Please bore us with your current (favourite) choice of transport - car/motorbike/pushbike/MPV/4X4/horse/walking shoes/scooter/plane/train/boat/space hopper/bus/saloon/coupe…?[/quote]
I recently bought a new car - between my husband and me it is the fifth Subaru we’ve owned. Living where we do, there is little public transportation (and what there is would require a lot of walking just to use it) so a car is necessary. I bought our first Subaru in 1987 - they last a LONG time, are well designed, and all-wheel dirve (= 4x4). When I got my new one I sold the last one to a friend who was delighted to get it, even though it was 20 years old and had 151K miles on it.

1 Like

Today is Cinco de Mayo! Do you have any Mexican favourites? Food/music/film/book?

Like Water for Chocolate, Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo…

What new thing are you currently humming along to and what oldie keeps reoccurring time and time again?

Quite a few by Gwibdaith Hen Fran at the moment, catchy tunes. Wibly Wobly Jeli etc
Old tunes, well there are so many. The Testimony of Patience Kershaw, by the Unthanks, A few by the Moulettes, most from Levelling the Land, and so the list goes on!

Complete this sentence about yourself - I’m a closet…
I used to be a closet smoker, but no more.(in fact gave up 10 years ago this september!)
Otherwise I’m a pretty open book to those who know me!

My imagination, it takes me on amazing journeys. (and then I crash back down to reality when I try to work out how to turn it into a painting/next exiting project!
But other than that on foot and cycling when I get the time. Cars and driving are purely functional to me, no pleasure at all.

Share a favourite poem in any language
I really like poetry, like listening to it being read (poetry please radio 4, live readings etc) rarely have the opportunity to properly take the time to read it, have many I like but I think (obvious bias) that my favourites are those written by my children.
I remember going to a reading 8-ish years ago, hard work, awful poetry, she was the Florence Foster Jenkins of the poetry world. Indelible memories for me!

1 Like

I’m having trouble quoting on my phone at the moment so I’ll just list 1-5.

1. I love Mexican food, all of it, hoping to get my chin on while in Florida next week. :blush:. Oh, and does Salma Hayek count? I love her, erm, acting skills. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2. Anything from the Moana film, if it isn’t on the tv the cd is playing in the car. :cry:
    “All the fools sailed away” by Dio is a favourite that always seems to be on my mind. :heart_eyes:

3. I’m a closet chick-flick fan. “When Harry met Sally” is my favourite film. There, I’ve said it.

4. I’ve recently bought a Rover 75 because my 306 died and it was cheap, no other reason, but I love it. Not something I would go for but I really do love it. I really enjoy cycling too, like, you know, don the lycras and head for the hills type cycling. I’m not quick but the views and wildlife you see when you are miles from anywhere is breathtaking.

5. One fine day, in the middle of the night
    Two dead men got up to fight
    Back to back they faced one another
    Drew their swords and shot each other.

One my dad always used to say …
Spring is sprung, the grass is ris
I wonder where the birdie is
The bird is on the wing, but that’s absurd
'cos the wing is on the bird

And another of his regulars … (sorry)
Little fly upon the wall
Got no mum or dad at all
Bastard.
Little birdie on the wing
Couldn’t whistle, couldn’t sing
Useless bastard. :joy:

5 Likes

I’m never going to see you in quite the same light again. That just made my day.

2 Likes

I have no defence, no reply, I am what I am. :blush:

3 Likes

I am a bit ignorant things Mexican… Can I claim Nachos and Chilli as a Favourite?

Not sure I can think of something new I am humming along too… but, as for an oldie, Blonde’s Atomic slipped into my head last week and I can’t stop humming it.

Fan of Downton Abbey :blush: :blush: :blush:[quote=“Richmountart, post:5, topic:8136”]
[/quote]

Train, Train, Train and more Trains, particularly Of the steam variety… Don’t really care where it goes to as long as I get a whiff of the Smoke and Steam!

Aberdaron

Albert Cynan Evans-Jones

When I am old and honoured
With silver in my purse
All criticism over
All men singing my praise
I will purchase a lonely cottage
With nothing facing its door,
But the cliffs of Aberdaron
And the wild waves on the shore

For there I will discover
In the stormy wind and its cry
Echoes of the old rebellion
My soul knew in days gone by
And I will sing with the old passion
While gazing through the door
At the cliffs of Aberdaron
And the wild waves on the shore

2 Likes

Your Dad’s poetry sounds identical to my Dad’s!!

The one that popped into my head was a version of the “British Grenadier” but I won’t share that here.

Maybe you’re right, I don’t think my dad could lay claim to composing that stuff. :joy:

1 Like

I think it’s Spike Milligan?

Ah, that would make sense, I remember my dad being a fan of his.

Here’s a Brian Cleary one:

One tall midget reached up high,
Touched the ground above the sky,
Tied his loafers, licked his tongue,
And told about the bee he stung.
He painted, then, an oval square
The color of the bald man’s hair,
And in the painting you could hear
What’s undetected by the ear.

1 Like

I hear too much of good music when I’m driving home and because I listen it (always) carefully, it rearly occurs it would just one stick in but some time ago I’ve constantly hummed this one (because I wanted to sing it properly actually)

It’s called “Dobro jutro džezeri” what you could translate into “Good morning “jazzers””

CGI creating and playing with graphic software “toys” :slight_smile: Here’s the newest creation called “Here is dragon somewhere” …

Space shuttle called bus at 5 in the morning and at 4:30 in the afternoon (and some in between) … (otherwise we have about 20 years old Ford Fiesta :slight_smile: )

One of the favourites, ode to our one of the most beautiful rivers, Soča!

Translation into English (from Slovene) Source Travel Slovenia

To the river Soča

You are splendid, limpid daughter of the heights,
You are graceful in your natural beauty,
When your transparent depths
Are not disturbed by the
Wrath of darksome storms,
You are splendid, limpid daughter of the heights!
Your course is lively and gentle
Like the walk of highland girls,
You are serene as the mountain air,
You are loud as the vigorous
Chant of the highland youth –
You are splendid, daughter of the heights.
I like to look into your lively waves,
These green-blue waves;
The dark green of highland grass
And the cheerful azure of the heights
Have flown together with delight;
From the dew of the blue skies,
From the dew of green mountains,
You have drunk your beauty –
You are splendid, daughter of the heights.
You are my most dear friend!
When you rustle down from mountain woodlands
You seem a messenger from home,
Carrying plenty of dear greetings –
May God welcome you amidst the plains! …
How dearly and loudly you murmur,
How stalwartly and soundly you bound
When you still flow through the mountains!
But when you clatter down to the flatlands,
Why do you lose your lively joy?
Why do you flow tiredly and slowly,
Why are your voices sad?
Is it hard to part from the mountain range,
The cradle of your waves?
Do you know you are passing by the graves,
The graves of Slovene homeland?
A double grief you suffer here!
In this grief, mournful and sluggish,
You seem like a big tear to me;
But even as tear – splendid!
You are splendid, limpid daughter of the heights,
You are graceful in your natural beauty,
When your transparent depths
Are not disturbed by the
Wrath of raging storms!
But, alas, my poor child,
A dreadful storm, a horrible storm
Is threatening you;
It will storm in from the warm south,
It will rage through the fertile plain
Nourished by your waters –
Woe!, that day is not far.
A clear arch will stretch above you,
Around you a hail of lead,
Rain of blood and streams of tears,
Lightning and thunder – oh, stifling battle!
Bitter steel will strike upon these lands,
And you will flow full of blood:
Our blood will nourish you,
The enemy’s will muddy you!
Remember then, limpid Soca,
The commands of your fervid heart:
All the waters stored
In the clouds of your skies,
All the waters in your highlands,
All the waters of your blossoming plains,
Rush it all up at once,
Rise up, froth in a dreadful stream!
Do not confine yourself within the banks,
Rise wrathfully over the defences,
And drawn the foreigners ravenous for land
To the bottom of your foaming waves!

EDIT to add
Do you remember this scene from Narnia?

It was filmd at this same beautiful river Soča and if you can remember the battle, the poem I’ve posted and recited above very much corresponds to this battle despite it was written much before Narnia was written and filmed.

The photo (thumbnail) on a SoundCloud is my photo of this smaragd river. I was there twice and will surely go again because river Soča is “splendid, limpid daughter of the heights…”

1 Like
  1. Today is Cinco de Mayo! Do you have any Mexican favourites? Food/music/film/book?

I love home made chicken enchiladas and have an all time favourite recipe. I’m rather fond of Gael García Bernal and OF COURSE Diego Luna. Then again there’s Carlos Santana, and though strictle Cuban, I do love Mojitos!

1. Let’s talk stuck song syndrome. What new thing are you currently humming along to and what oldie keeps reoccurring time and time again?

At the moment I’ve got Van Morrison’s Moondance in my head with the occasional spurt of Bat Out of Hell and Hello Dolly interrupting the flow.

1. I know someone who likes to collect souvenir teaspoons, I know someone who has a secret passion for Doris Day movies and I recently discovered that someone I know is quite a dab hand at home brewing exotic wines! Complete this sentence about yourself - I’m a closet…

Birdwatcher. Nature really feeds my soul. I’ve a VERY eclectic taste in music.

1. Lets talk modes of transport. Yesterday the garage told me that due to recent, surprising damage to our car and the nature of where we now live, we need to be driving a 4X4. But because we often have my nieces with us, we need one with 7 seats! So yet again I have one eye firmly fixed on AutoTrader reviews. Please bore us with your current (favourite) choice of transport - car/motorbike/pushbike/MPV/4X4/horse/walking shoes/scooter/plane/train/boat/space hopper/bus/saloon/coupe…?

Need a seven seater for my two and my brother’s two, currently have a Citroen Grand C4 Picasso. But may need a 4x4. I don’t get terribly excited by cars. But I do like them to do the job I bught them for. So if it’s reliable, comfortable, reasonable to run and not too expensive to repair then I’m happy. Not bothered about speed/colour/style too much.

1. Share a favourite poem in any language…

Yng nghesail y moelydd unig,
    Cwm tecaf y cymoedd yw -
    Cynefin y carlwm a’r cadno
    A hendref yr hebog a’i ryw:
    Ni feddaf led troed ohono,
    Na chymaint a dafad na chi;
    Ond byddaf yn teimlo fin nos wrth fy nhân
    Mai arglwydd y cwm ydwyf fi.
    Hoff gennyf fy mwthyn uncorn
    A weli’n y ceunant draw,
    A’r gwyngalch fel od ar ei bared,
    A Ilwyni y llus ar bob llaw:
    Os isel yw’r drws i fynd iddo,
    Mae beunydd a byth led y pen :
    A thincial eu clychau ar bwys y tŷ,
    bob tymor, mae dwyffrwd wen.
    Os af fi ar ambell ddygwyl
    Am dro i gyffniau’r dref,
    Ymwrando y byddaf fi yno
    Am grawc, a chwibanogl a bref,-
    Hiraethu am weled y moelydd,
    A’r asur fel mor uwch fy mhen
    A chlywed y migwyn dan wadn fy nhroed,
    A throi 'mysg fy mhlant a Gwen.
    Mi garaf hen gwm fy maboed
    Tra medraf fi garu dim;
    Mae ef a’i lechweddi’n myned
    O hyd yn fwy annwyl im :
    A byddaf yn gofyn bob gwawrddydd,
    A’m troed ar y talgrib lle tyr
    Pam, Arglwydd, y gwnaethost Gwm Pennant mor dlws?
    A bywyd hen fugail mor fyr?
    Eifion Wyn (1867 - 1926)

1 Like

This morning I have a serious case of the theme music from the “Popeth Yn Gymraeg” series being stuck in my head! :smile:

1 Like

Our hire car is a Dodge Journey and it would be ideal, it’s absolutely huge and so luxurious with every mod-con you could possibly wish for. No good to you, I’m just bragging.