Pronunciation of 'u'

yes, sorry, Dewi is an ‘in-at-the-deep-end’ example (I’ve known him for years, so I’m used to it by now! :wink: ) but you certainly get the idea of one of the many Northern accents! :grin:

1 Like

Yes indeed. Thanks Siaron.

You could try listening to the videos of “Gwyneth Angharad” on YouTube:

Most of them are “introduction to Welsh sounds”, e.g.

is about the simple vowels.

Gwyneth has a lovely North Wales accent (I just love the northern U sound), being from Pen Llŷn.

Or

which is about the diphthongs - to compare ai, ae, au for example. (ei dau "her two* and ei dai “his houses” would sound rather different for her, I think.)

1 Like

Most people have 3 different colour receptors for colour vision, a very small percentage (and then mostly female) have 4 diffeent colour receptors, and can detect differences in for instance cream colour paints which the rest of us cannot. There are apparently a tiny number of people who when they hear music see a colour as well which just seems unimaginable to the rest of us.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Excellent Philip. Everything helps when one isn’t amongst native speakers especially of course when the dialect is identified. A couple of years or so ago I’m sure that Sionned gave me a few sources. Unfortunately due mainly to a stroke and later a house fire which necessitated a house move I didn’t access the forum for a year or more and my posts/replies seem to have vanished. At any rate I can’t find them on the forum.

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

Ah! So that’s how it’s done … I’ve been wrestling with that for a good couple of years! (Too late to change my own pronunciation now, but perhaps I can at least imitate it now on those occasions when I’d like to.)

1 Like

I think or I hope that down south it makes no difference ( I only distinguish them by the written form and the names: ee dot and ee bedol). If there is a difference down here then my ears can’t detect it at all. To my ears Tŷ, Ti, Du and a “cup of Tea” all end in the same sound.

2 Likes

Hence the amusing question to the DJ and TV presenter now known as Dafydd Meredydd:
“Ydy dy DVD yn dy dŷ di, Daf Du?”.

4 Likes

Correct - in the S you can happily say ‘ee’ for both, just like in ‘deep’ or (if long) ‘cheese’ :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh good! I do and always have!

1 Like

Good - you are safe as houses with that Dain Saith. :wink:

1 Like

Just say “ee” and open the back of your mouth, so to speak, by lowering the back of your tongue. Keep the “ee” shape and don’t round the lips. This sound is also heard in words with a long “y” such as “byd” and “o hyd”. A lot of Gog speech has this “back” feel to it and gives it a slightly mysterious quality.

So there’s a car thief out there somewhere who’s learned Welsh? They have stolen great knowledge.

:sob:

Yes, the trick to speaking authentic Gog is to keep all the vowels way back, not near the lips. This is also true for reproducing a convincing impersonation of Gogs speaking English, which of course sounds nothing like the Gavin and Stacey Barry Island type of Welsh English that is regarded as typical over the border.

You do the Gog U by starting with a (back of the mouth!) W, and then (while continuing to say W) unround the lips. You get a sort of German Ü but NOT at the front of the mouth, instead at the back.

Phonetics is phun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps I should add that I am by most measures a Londoner (and sound like it) but made entirely of Welsh stuff. My associations are with N. Wales and can speak quite a bit of Welsh but have a poor vocabulary and I’m here to improve it.
Diolch am eich cymorth.

1 Like

There was a meme that I think either @beca-brown or @CatrinLliarJones posted somewhere of “that face you make trying to pronounce ‘u’ the way the Gogs do” - but I’ve been unable to find it. Tagging them in the hope I’m right & one of them will remember/repost…

3 Likes

So am I :slight_smile:

Will try and find it! It’s in the advanced content thread somewhere!