Phrasal verbs

Good try, Tatjana /Brigitte! But I think nachkommen (or nachschlagen) probably does have an infinitive officially so would have to count as a perfectly normal separable verb. (If a very nice one!)

3 Likes

This was a really excellent topic that you raised - really enjoyable and worthy of the SSiW Forum - and triggered a feisty discussion to-boot.

Justin

It has but not in this form of meaning at least we couldn’t remember of it. :slight_smile:

Oh yes:)

Does anyone know, perchance, a good book which includes a list of some common phrasal verbs in Welsh? (possibly with some exercises, the more the better). Or just a book that includes lists of verbs together with the prepositions they’re normally used with?
Diolch!:slight_smile:

“Pa Arddodiad?” by D. Geraint Lewis lists the prepositions normally used with verbs. I find it very useful, anyway.

2 Likes

Just to be super-pedantic, actually it is listed as a “regional” meaning for resemblance on Leo http://dict.leo.org/deutsch-englisch/nachkommen.html

Phrasal verbs are an interesting concept that I hadn’t thought about before though! At first I instinctively thought that German would have them too, but have failed to think of any that don’t have a neat infinitive. However not being one of the resident “grammar buffs”, I’m still not 100% sure of the difference!

Heini Gruffudd’s “ymarferion Cymraeg Da” contains loads of exercises, with a section on prepositions.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cymraeg-Ymarferion-Exercises-Heini-Gruffudd/dp/0862435331/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41AK6EEYQSL&dpSrc=sims&preST=AC_UL160_SR103%2C160&refRID=0NBSJHG59S9FATC84BMX

I don’t have his book “Welsh Exercises”, but it is presumably along the same lines but with simpler exercises

1 Like

Thank you, @owainlurch! I have Gruffudd’s Welsh rules and it’s excellent, it has lots of wonderful drills and exercises - I expect his exercise book is fantastic too.

Just heard a phrasal verb in “Dim ond y gwir”: Cario ymlaen - to carry on

1 Like

However, anything by Heini Gruffudd is always good! :grinning:

And I don’t say that just because he’s so open and helpful to learners in the flesh round here! :wink:

They tend to be very reasonably priced, and you know you are getting lessons from someone who lives and breathes Welsh, as it were. (I don’t get a cut of the profits, honestly :smile:

I believe you:) No, my book by him is fantastic. I was extremely happy when I got it. It reminds me very much of my favourite grammar book in English - Raymond Murphy with his fantastic “English grammar in use” - it’s clearly structured and has lots of exercises, and I’ve always been interested in finding a book like this in Welsh. And Gruffudd has wonderful vocabulary lists, too!

1 Like

Will have to admit that with me is the same and had quite the same attitude as you have. :slight_smile:

It’s the same price on Y Lolfa but the postage is WAY cheapper. http://www.ylolfa.com/en/dangos.php?ISBN=0862435331

Gwales doesn’t have it though.

2 Likes

Excellent! Everyone use Y Lolfa!

1 Like

Well, at Amazon I’d pay at least 12 gbp of shipping costs but at Y Lolfa I pay the most 2 or 3 GBP. So, I’m using it + they have eBooks too. :slight_smile:

Oh, but I don’t want to get anyone off Amazon though, to be clear. Those are just the facts for Slovenia.

And they also have “Welsh Exercises”, presumably the simpler version (which is good :relieved:)

http://www.ylolfa.com/en/dangos.php?ISBN=0862437113

“2000 exercises for translating, mutating, changing to negative and plural forms, changing emphasis, correcting errors, and choosing words yourself”

If that’s not the most appealing description I’ve ever read:) I love exercises. I’m waiting for this book right now and I’ll review it as soon as I get it. I’m going through the “Welsh rules” now and it’s already made quite a difference.:slight_smile:

1 Like

So am I. 
 :slight_smile: It should arrive somewhere next week. :slight_smile: hopefully.

2 Likes

My colleague actually admitted that there are some verbs in German that, used with a prefix, have another meaning - for example, the milk will “run away” (in Russian â€œŃƒĐ±Đ”Đ¶ĐžŃ‚â€), but they are not regarded as a separate grammar topic, as they are seen in English.
So yeah, we were all right, it seems.

4 Likes

Well that doesn’t make sense unless she is using ‘phrasal verb’ in a completely different meaning. What verb is she thinking of in German that doesn’t have an infinitive? Things like certain impersonal verbs, perhaps - e.g. mich deucht? But that’s not what we are talking about here.

1 Like

Definitely.

That is always the best outcome! :slight_smile:

2 Likes