Personal Celebration getting through Southern Course 1 Challenge 13

Bear in mind 13 and 14 are a bit too tough, so don’t expect yourself to nail them… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found 15 worse!!! Sorry! :sob:

1 Like

Way to go. :slight_smile:

No kidding! I agree with @henddraig too - 15 is diabolical!

Different issue, though - designed diabolicism, if you like - because it’s a wide-ranging revisit of almost everything you’ve done, which is tough (but very good for you) - whereas 13 and 14 have some sentences that really are just a bit too long (they still do you good, but they’re, er, not much fun!)… :slight_smile:

Hmm maybe if it is designed it just makes the designer diabolical? :wink: I found the sentences in that were too long too, but mostly because it repeated all the stuff I hadn’t learned in 13 and 14…

However… even if I can’t get the sentences out at the time, I know I will get them eventually because my adventures earlier in the course were the same… Stunned goldfish on go 1, slightly less stunned goldfish on go 2, and now I am easily remembering those very things (the trouble I had with bo’fi wedi bod!!!) in later lessons. I do have to keep reminding myself of that though, and the encouragement in the lessons helps enormously :relaxed:

1 Like

Yes, this is almost always true - 13 and 14 don’t actually break the method, they just make it a bit tougher than it needed to be - but hang on in there and you WILL get where you want to… :slight_smile:

1 Like

@YDraigGoch I feel like I’ve hijacked your thread a bit! :blush: How’re are getting on with the rest of level 1?

1 Like

The forum is a free for all. Go for it. The more constructive input the merrier.
How am I getting on with the rest of Level 1?
13 done and dusted but slow and cumbersome with getting things out.
14 and15 are not quite up to speed in places but if I use the pause button I can usually figure things out.
16 is ok until the 14:36 min mark where I have no idea how to say yes/no. Here is responded with ‘do’ and ‘naddo’.
Can you or anybody assist when ydw and nagw is used? Later on, ‘do’ is used for yes in ‘Yes I enjoyed it’.
I am also confused with - Someone who told me… Can you help here too please. I thought it should be ‘rhywun ddwedodd wrthai’ but it appears now to be ‘rhywun na ddeud wrthai’ I can’t fathom it out. Where am I going wrong with my understanding - and what is this ‘na’ that slipped into the sentence?
Like you, I will get there in the end but it will take time. It’s taken a year to get this far so far. And likewise, the awful stumbling block of bo fi’n/ bod i wedi… etc from earlier challenges is now a little easier.
Otherwise fairly OK. Ran through 13-25 in one hit. Lost it after 20 but am confident that I will master it to 20 by the end of this year.
So that’s where I am in Course 1 to date. Still yet to speak to verbally speak to a soul in Welsh. Borneo isn’t the place to strike up a conversation yn Gymraeg.
Diolch

1 Like

I think you have just answered your own question.

You know what to do. If you’ve managed to me form 13 to 20 it is not going to take you to the end of the year to get to 25. I would suggest you could get there by the end f August.

As for speaking…I am more than happy to Skype. Connection may not work but happy to try.

cheers but I don’t have permission to skype in this location

1 Like

That sounds as though you’re getting some ‘rhywun wnaeth ddeud wrtha i’ - but your instinctive reach for ‘rhywun ddudodd wrtha i’ is perfectly okay (just short form vs long form).

With yes/no, really, seriously, don’t worry about it. If you’re stuck, use ia/na, which will always be understood… :slight_smile:

Please don’t aim to master up to 20. If you’re mastering it, you’re going too slowly! Instead of multiple repetitions of individual sessions, do multiple repetitions of 16 to 25 - it will feel tougher, but it will work faster.

Pity about Skype. Is that true for all VoIP where you are? Because the next big step for you, without a shadow of a doubt, is conversation practice… :slight_smile:

Don’t know much about computers. What is VoiP?

Challenge 16 about done and dusted and far easier than Challenge 13, 14 & 15. I just have a couple of question regarding ‘to enjoy’ and gender.
We are told the Welsh for ‘I enjoyed’ is ‘joi es i’. Excuse dreadful spelling. The course notes indicate ‘wnes i joio’ for ‘I enjoyed’. Are both forms acceptable? And what about ‘dwi’n joio’r ymarfer gyda ti’ from way back in Challenge 4 – When to use dwi’n joio/wnes i joio?
Around the 28min mark – ‘to read’ is masculine whilst ‘to watch’ is feminine. Is there any way to tell whether verbs are mas/fem or is it learn by experience?
Now working on to Challenge 17 (and will casually listen to 18-25 when time permits). I can’t believe I’ve made it this far. Those words of Iestyn – ‘Just trust the system’ seem to be working and Aran’s words of encouragement along with the forum group. I might just pull Course 1 off.

Just fathomed the dwi’n joio and wnesi joio out. One is present and the other past tense I believe. Sorry.

2 Likes

Hmmm… is this about what ‘it’ is going with the verb? The verbs themselves are neither masculine nor feminine - so I think you might be thinking of ‘darllen e’ and ‘gwylio hi’ which is just a way of exposing you to the options with ‘it’. Either way, feel free to play fast and loose with them - it’ll almost never create any problems with understanding… :slight_smile:

Well done for figuring out ‘dwi’n’ vs ‘wnes i’ - and ‘joies i’ is just the short form instead of the long form - ‘joies i’ and ‘wnes i joio’ are functionally equivalent, so just use whichever comes to mind first… :slight_smile:

VoIP is ‘voice over IP’ (ie, ‘voice over internet protocol’) - so anything which allows you to use an internet connection for a voice call - Skype, Google hangouts, anything along those lines. If you don’t have permission to Skype, specifically - ie, if Skype is blocked for you - you might be able to find other similar providers. If all VoIP is blocked, it’s a different matter.

Hi Peter,
Can you help with a couple of simple quirks in Challenge 21. You seem to be one of the more able learners in SSiW. There is a sentence quite early on = I’d rather ask my sister. I can’t tell what Cat or Iestyn are actually saying at the end for ‘my sister’. Could you translate the sentence for me? Bydden well da fi ofyn (my sister).
Secondly, Why has Cat thrown a ‘i’ before fy mam i. in the sentence ‘…to ask my mother.’
Finally, which is where I am up to in the course, could you tell me if my translation is right what Cat and Iestyn are saying with the sentence ‘she doesn’t like’ It’s something like ‘dyw hi ddim yn hoffi’. The course notes say dydy hi ddim yn hoffi (I’m not sure how to pronounce dydy) and I’m not using dydy.

1 Like

Sorry Peter,
I forgot to say thank you in advance.
Diolch

1 Like

Ok. I will do my best…but im sure others are more accurate.

If im saying i want to ask you i woukd say…dw i isio gofyn i ti.

So i would rather ask my sister woukd end…ofyn i fy chwaer.

To ask my mother therefore is gofyn i fy mam i.

I would say dydy hi ddim yn hoffi or dydy hi ddim yn licio here in the north. Dydy is pronounced dud…ee (english way but obviously more quickly).

Hope that helps and hope im correct!

1 Like

Fame at last. Amazing how i can blag things on here