Oxford Welsh learners group

PS If you should want to while away a bit of time with some Welsh on your smartphone over Christmas :wink: there are lots of links to Wesh language ffĂ´n clyfar aps here: http://cymraeg.gov.wales/Apps?tab=apps&lang=cy

2 Likes

Thanks for the cinio nadolig!

If anyone’s interested in the ‘Eurovision for minority languages’ I mentioned, here’s their page: https://www.facebook.com/liet.international/
(click on ‘Videos’ to watch last year’s contest)

And here’s the entry of our first-ever, sadly terribly-unsuccessful, Junior Eurovision contestant, Manw (song by Yws Gwynedd) :

I would’ve liked this kid to win our national selection, though - perfformiad anhygoel! :

3 Likes

Lovely to see the crew! Bit jealous we couldn’t be there with you… :wink:

3 Likes

Helo pawb - let me know, when you can, when you’d like to begin our meetups again once Christmas is out of the way :slightly_smiling_face: _ - yn y cymamser,
Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i bawb!:christmas_tree::champagne:
John

4 Likes

Shwmae o Niwgwl, Sir Benfro!

I’m away in Pembrokeshire for the duration of the school hols, and I’ll be up for our Thursday Royal Blenheim meeting on 10th January, if anyone is ready for a peint blwyddyn newydd by then :blush:

4 Likes

Am golygfa bendigedig!
Yes, I’ll be there for the meetup on Thurs 10th Jan in the Royal B.
Hope you have the luck to come across a Welsh speaker or two out there in Sir Benffro
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

I posted this on the Oxford Walks thread but thought it worth repeating here just in case … :slightly_smiling_face:

" A quick reminder in case anyone else would like to join Linda, Sue and me tomorrow for some post-Xmas fresh air on our walk+ sgwrs around Port Meadow (weather forecast: cloudy but dry)"

If anyone else wants to join us, do come along :slightly_smiling_face::
11:30 Friday 28th December - meet at Oxford Rail Station

PS Forgot to add partners & plantos welcome to join us if they don’t mind a bit of Welsh sgwrs :slightly_smiling_face:

A little memory jog …

At the moment we’re due to restart on Thurs 10th but a meetup before then might be possible if people are interested.
Hwyl, John
PS Diolch @Betterlatethan, Linda, @RichardBuck, Jenny & plantos for an enjoyable walk+sgwrs around Port Meadow on Friday. If anyone’s interested in the possibility of another walk this week, let me know.

1 Like

Diolch @johnwilliams_6 and @RichardBuck . That was a good walk. It was good to meet Linda, Jenny and plantos. Sorry, I can’t walk again for a while as too much else is happening.

I can’t come on Thursday 10th. I could come on Monday 7th, but only if others are coming too, and I shall have to leave promptly for Pilates. Same for Monday 14th. Thursday 17th looks all right at the moment.

Sue

2 Likes

I’m planning on joining @Betterlatethan in Cafe Bap (11am on Mon 7th)- I’ve heard from Clive that he can’t make it - is anyone else thinking of coming along on Monday?
Hwyl, John

Should anyone find themselves in Oxford hankering after a bit of Welshness, in St Michael’s church in Cornmarket you can find this :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

They have a Welsh Aisle? Magnificent!
Sue

1 Like

As this week we’ll be having our first meetups of the New Year …

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i chi, ac i bawb sydd yn y tš
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i chi, dyna yw’n dymuniad ni

(from custom of Hel Calennig when children go from house to house on Dydd Calan/New Year’s Day singing for Calennig (coins, sweets etc); source: ‘Tro Drwy’r Tymhorau: Almanac o Wyliau a Dathliadau’r Flwyddyn’ by Twm Elias)

Well, having got that out of the way :grinning:,
our meetups this week will be:

• Monday, 7 Jan from 11am in Cafe Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Thursday, 10 Jan in The Royal Blenheim, St Ebbe’s/Pembroke St from 12 noon

As always, all welcome (and especially new faces) - do get in touch via the forum or PM if you have any questions :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

3 Likes

@johnwilliams_6, Sorry, I am not feeling well this morning and I shall not make it to Cafe Bap. I hope to be there next week. I hope you read this in time.
Sue

Oh dear, sorry to hear that Sue - hope you’ll be feeling better very soon, and thanks for letting me know so quickly
Best wishes, John

1 Like

Is anyone else planning to go to Cafe Bap this morning? Do please let me know if you are and I’ll be there - if I don’t hear from anyone I’ll give it a miss this time.
Hwyl, John

A quick reminder about tomorrow’s meetup

I may have recruited Stuart Hughes, leader of our Ramblers walk today. He was born in North Wales, understands the language quite well, but says that he can’t speak much. He seemed interested in practising. He might turn up next Thursday.
Sue

1 Like

Excellent! Diolch @Betterlatethan :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like