Oxford walks

Diolch Chris - hope you can make the next one

1 Like

Diolch @ruth-connor @owen-mcknight @RichardBuck Jenni & y plantos for such an enjoyable walk+sgwrs in the Port Meadow sunshine yesterday :sunny: .
By any chance, did anyone get any photos for this or the What’s outside threads (as usual I forgot! :roll_eyes:)?

PS At the moment there are still quite a few people who have yet to complete the Doodle Poll, but, looking at the results so far, the most promising dates for future walks this month seem to be Sun 13th, Sat 19th, Sun 20th, Mon 21st, Sat 26th - maybe that will change, though, once a few more people have ‘Doodled’ …

I think we all enjoyed the cygnets and goslings! And it looks as if the dragonfly we saw at Wolvercote Lakes might have been a broad-bodied chaser.

2 Likes

We can’t beat Owen’s animals but the green wall on the way back home was pretty cool.

1 Like

That’s quite something! Was it in Roger Dudman Way? Looks very much like it but, if it is, it must be the bit which was covered in scaffolding the last time I saw it - must have another trip down that way!

Yes it was. It was a lovely quiet walk. With the bonus of a few trains going past :grin:

1 Like

Looks as if next Sunday, 13th June, is going to be the best date for our next walk ticked in the Doodle poll by @owen-mcknight, @Adamc, Richard Williams, Linda Murphy and me (@trefor-williams you said you might be interested in joining us depending on the day). That said, is a midday start OK for everyone and are there any preferences from the route suggestions I posted earlier

… or alternative suggestions?
Hwyl,
John
PS After Sunday, one day the following weekend 19th or 20th and the Saturday after that, 26th are likely to be the dates of the next walks :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you! For this coming Sunday, I’ll defer to other people about the route (because different people are coming) and timings (because I’m waiting for confirmation of another commitment that day). At the moment I can also make Sunday 20th.

1 Like

hey. i have to take my girlfriend to get her vaccine on sunday but i’ll keep my eyes peeled for future dates! enjoy

1 Like

Dim probs, Adam - thanks for letting us know!

Helo bawb - for our walk this Sunday, 13th June, I think a midday start and the Headington to Sidlings Copse route is likely to be the best option for those who can make it (Linda Murphy, Richard Williams, me and maybe @owen-mcknight - also, @trefor-williams, do you think you might be able to join us? Anyone else? Partners and plantos welcome whether or not they have any Welsh)

Let’s meet up in the South West corner of Bury Knowle Park just inside the entrance by the bus stop.
Hwyl
John

PS Here’s a reminder of the route and let me know if you have any questions (or if I’ve forgotten anything :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Gwych! My Sunday commitment has been cancelled so I’ll be glad to join you in Bury Knowle Park at midday.

1 Like

We’re seeing family this Sunday, but I’ll get round to the Doodle poll ASAP with the aim of joining in another time.

1 Like

A beautifully warm and sunny day :sunny::sunglasses: today (Sun 13) and not too late to join our lunchtime walk today from Headington-Sydlings Copse (spelt it correctly this time! :roll_eyes:) if you would like to (see above for details) :slightly_smiling_face:

For next weekend’s walk Sat 19th June seems the best choice, when @mohinigupta, @Adamc, Linda Murphy and I should be able to make it and maybe @Betterlatethan as well. More details later
Hwyl
John

1 Like

Diolch @johnwilliams_6 - next Sunday 19th June should be good. Any possibility of planning this in Port Meadow? :smiley:

1 Like

Whoops - Saturday, 19th June. See you all soon hopefully!

1 Like

Yes, Port Meadow would be fine if that’s what people would like - all suggestions welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

There were six of us this afternoon on a lovely three-hour walk through Barton to Sydlings Copse.

As so often, we have to thank Clive’s wife Stephanie for the entry on the Wick Farm well house in her comprehensive Headington history site (scroll to the end for pictures):
https://www.headington.org.uk/history/listed_buildings/wick_farm.htm

1 Like

Yes, indeed, diolch i ti, Owen a Linda, Clive, Richard W & Alicia for a really enjoyable walk in the sun (and, of course, Stephanie for the info on Wick Fm)!
At one stage we were talking about the long history of the phrase Cymru, Lloegr & Llanrwst - here’s a link to that song with the same title by Y Cyrff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upkDEvGMzc8

The weather forecast’s not too bad for Saturday’s (19th) walk. Let’s go ahead, then, with Mohini’s suggestion of Port Meadow - we could meet up, as last time, by the car park at the southern end of Port Meadow, although meeting outside the station could be another option. How would a midday start suit everyone? @mohinigupta? @Adamc? @Betterlatethan?