Our big hitting, superstar successful learners

Yes, Liz, and you’ll romp through it. Louis, ahem, ahem? Geraint, paid â malu cacan siocled…

If anyone would like any support with their entries, then I’d be more than happy to help. Also I’d be happy to Skype/Google+ nearer the time of the Semi-Finals.

I know being interviewed in Welsh under pressure doesn’t sound like fun, but one of the judges is Sian Lloyd (the news presenter) and she’s lovely. She was one of the judges in 2012 and she was very supportive and encouraging to everyone. :smile: Dysgwr y Flwyddyn is a great experience and will give you a confidence boost, even if you don’t realise it at the time.

1 Like

I was under the impression that it’s Siân Lloyd the weather presenter, who lives locally to the Maes, this year. Can anyone confirm? I’d hate for there to be confusion on the day (Kim, I’m looking at you :wink: )

I think SJs right. I actually, cringed, thinking of several confusions. :smile:

@robbruce It probably is Sian Lloyd the weather presenter if she’s local to the Maes this year. I was assuming it was the Sian Lloyd (news) purely because she has strong connections with the learner community. (and it was very late when I posted :blush: )

Anyway that shouldn’t stop anyone from entering Dysgwyr y Flwyddyn. :smile:

Perhaps not quite as embarrassing as mistaking Princess Anne for Princess Diana (one of the stories told on that Saturday Live radio programme that CACEN featured in, in another part of the programme). :slight_smile:

Well, I won’t know either. So, no potential confusion at all.

1 Like

Me neither Liz. I might live here but without a TV I’m fairly oblivious to television celebrities unless they’re actors in Pobol y Cwm :slight_smile:

1 Like

As you will know from my Bore Cothi interview, I speak Welsh very slowly. I have very little chance of going onto the final round of ddysgwr y flwyddyn. But for my own pride’s sake I’d like to give it a red hot go. :slight_smile: I wondered…in the weeks leading up to the interview on 13th of June, would some people be willing to do mock Skype interviews with me? Aran, do you still do paid Skype tuition? I’m thinking this may be the time to invest. :slight_smile: What about others who have actually competed? Can you help me get a feel for what to expect?

Wrong!!! My impression - and this really passed through my mind when listening - you’ve a very real chance of making the final four.

2 Likes

A a Dinas, if only you were the judge. :slight_smile: I intend to proceed as if I have a chance and try not to let the side down. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You have very little chance of accurately assessing your own chances, I’d say…:wink:

You’ve got a good chance. You’ve got an interesting story, you talking interestingly about it, and everybody else in the competition will make mistakes as well. There’ll need to be four unusually strong entrants for you not to make the last four.

Nope, I don’t do paid tuition for part-time librarians (unless they win the lottery!) - but I’d be happy to do a couple of mock interviews with you in the week before you go live :sunny:

1 Like

Oh dear, now I’m scared. I’m going to pretend I have no chance and work like crazy anyhow.

As for the paid lessons, the part time librarian has already been given twenty six life changing lessons plus the vocab units. I am totally in your debt. :slight_smile: But it would be fun to get SSiW into the final round again, wouldn’t it?

2 Likes

It absolutely would :sunny:

3 Likes

I just got my Dysgwr y flwyddyn letters and Skype time. Sitting here thinking OMG what have I done.

3 Likes

You have done a Good Thing!

2 Likes

Paid a phoeni! It won’t be as scary as you think. I’m happy to help out with practice questions and answers when I’m in Melbourne. At least with Skype you’ll be in comfortable and familiar surroundings. :smile:

1 Like

Something you have every right to be proud of - “break a leg” :smile:

2 Likes

Hoffwn i hynny yn fawr iawn. I have this idea, if you wanted to come to our Welsh classes that we could do a mock interview. There aren’t many of us and not many will pick up our mistakes. But…how shy are you? :smile:

@elizabeth_j_corbett_ I’m happy to be involved in the lesson. Let me know if I need to prepare anything - I’ll have plenty of time on the flight over :smile: