Ordering food from a machine

I decided to go for a ride on my bike tonight as I finished early. Nature called so I pulled into the services area on the outskirts of Petersfield (Y Lloegr). I wound up in McDonalds, who I worked for in 1986, so I thought some things might have changed. This one is a drive-through with a sit-down area, with a chaotic mess happening in the car-park. So I wandered in to join the queue and was intrigued to find there was a pre-ordering system which I quite like because you can look at pictures of things you might like to buy. Nice surprise at the bottom of the touch screen - a choice of operating language - I naturally pushed the ā€œCymraegā€ button. Now you can probably guess how often I visit ā€œMaccy Dā€™sā€, although I am aware that that is how some young people refer to them, not being entirely fossilised, but I quite liked reading some Cymraeg. I could not find any glaring mistakes in their choice of wording, paid by card and was told (written not verbal, by the machine) to collect my order at the front counter. I wandered over (notice Iā€™m not in a hurry - work done for the week) to the front counter where an Argos-ish screen informed me when to collect my completed order. ā€œ83?ā€, asked the young feller, proferring a tray. ā€œThank youā€, I said, although I had to bite back the ā€œDiolchā€ that immediately sprang into my head. (I am wearing my Rhos crys-t that says "Itā€™s Wales We speak Welsh Get over it, so I didnā€™t feel I needed to emphasise the message overmuch.)
Point is, I went through that whole process saying one thing. In front of me is a row of four screens where kids are sat tapping away. Mobiles are out, yes mine is ironically in use right now, but I am alone. Are we gonna have to fight, for the right, to communicate. (Couldnā€™t think of a word that means talk, but rhymes with partyā€¦). Are we so afraid of each other? Privacy should be valued, but I enjoy a natter.
As usual, I have written an essay when a sentence would have done, my apologiesā€¦

4 Likes

Not long ago, in a lovely, small restaurant in Sicily, Mrs G was watching a handsome young couple at the next table. They were absorbed in their phones and clearly felt no need to converse with each orher. Mrs G was about to pop over and offer advice but I persuaded her to concentrate on the wine and food. We felt very old.

2 Likes

Iā€™m of the generation that usually gets most of the flack for being addicted to phones: I have to say that itā€™s a pet hate of mine when people canā€™t tear thrmselves away from a screen and have a real conversation. I used to have a friend like that - every time we went out, sheā€™d spend more time looking through Facebook and texting than talking to me. Weā€™re not friend anymoreā€¦

5 Likes

It was very noticeable, and very commendable, that you were not addicted to screens during your stay with us. :boom:

2 Likes

Diolch! I didnā€™t want to experience my holiday through a camera lens or be so intent on documenting everything that o forgot to actually enjoy myself! If Iā€™m doing something I want to BE there, not be constantly distracted by my phone. Thereā€™s plenty of time look at my phone when Iā€™m sitting at home, bored. It can wait until then. :smile:

1 Like

On a tangent I once went into maccy D in Germany tried my hardest to order in German to have the serving person respond in perfect English

Our mobiles are often in use in restaurants - we need the torch / flashlight function to be able to read the menus!

7 Likes

I have to admit I like to photograph, but for doing that I usually (if possible) donā€™t use phone, but rather proper photo camera. However, I donā€™t forget to enjoy being somewhere with someone and, as talkative as I am, I surely donā€™t stare at the phone when someone sits with me eager to talk.

The daily praxis: I have a friend who happens to be my cheef of staff aid aswell. At work weā€™re professionally concentrated to that sphere of our lives - work - and friendship doesnā€™t interfear our duties in the office however when we go from work, we both have half an hour of time which we could very easily spend each of us on different places, waiting for our ride to come (she her train and I my bus) but we tend to sit in the caffee together somewhere in the middle of both destinations, drinking our coffee (or whatever one drinks) and talk. Half an hour of pure talk about family, friends, our kids are approximately the same age so we exchange our experiences, sometimes giving each-other some tinny advise, but we rearly discuss work except in rare occassions when we need some kind of ā€œpeaceā€ which in the office often is lack of having 7 people to govern and monitor their work. Weā€™re both phone users and the tablet is my friend when sitting on my bus but Iā€™m not glued to the devices despite it might seam so according to seing me on here very often. The only shame is, my friend doesnā€™t learn Cymraeg so we stick to our mother language when talking. :slight_smile: I tried to convince her to start learning, but I didnā€™t succeed though.

And, yes, I like to photograph, but not people except when something extraordinary happens which know it might happen only once in my life and never ever again and even then I like to take picture or two ā€œon sceneā€ so I can have kind of memory where we were. Otherwise nature is my target - clouds, scenary, flowers ā€¦ the beauty of this World ā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m probably the most annoying person ever, because I often take photos of people when Iā€™m in someoneā€™s company. People are beautiful:) Sometimes you canā€™t help but want to document it somehow.
I donā€™t find anything bad about technology, either, it just shows you more clearly that someone is not so very interested in you, which is good, because you can break up with them sooner and be with someone whoā€™s more interested in you and your conversation than in their mobile. I view it more as a symptom that somethingā€™s wrong, not the cause.

5 Likes

A finnau! I sometimes have to share mine with my ancient mates. Quite handy if you need to negotiate a discountšŸ˜€

I have no problem with a quick photo - itā€™s when people are on their phones having a conversation with someone else while Iā€™m just sitting there. It implies that my time is not important. I agree with you that itā€™s often a symptom of bigger problems, but itā€™s certainly a good warning system! :smile:

2 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s so very annoying I donā€™t even know how to react!

2 Likes

I tend to make a show of being awkward and looking around for something to amuse myself with. If they donā€™t get the hint, itā€™s not likely Iā€™ll be out with them again! :smile:

Start to sing the Anthem as loudly as possible. It works every timešŸ˜€

3 Likes

Youā€™d be fed with me talking to you not staring at the phone ā€¦ I can listen too, of course! :slight_smile:

(And this is really me behind that ā€œlistening headā€ eating cream slice) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I only know the Sovietic one:) It might get me the attention of every single person in the cafe!

3 Likes

I used to go away for weekends occasionally with a group of friends. We would book a cottage somewhere in the country and enjoy good company and tranquility. On one occasion a new person joined us who immediately started walking up and down the road ā€œtrying to get a signalā€. We asked if he was expecting some kind of emergency or needed to be in contact with someone for a particular reason and he looked genuinely puzzled. No, he just couldnā€™t bear to not have a phone signal! So while we were enjoying good food and a few bottles of wine, he was hiking back and forth to one spot in the road where he found he could get a signal. Every time he came back we asked if heā€™d had some important message, but no, nothing out of the ordinary. It was bizarre! Needless to say, he didnā€™t get invited again.

5 Likes

Havenā€™t you learned ā€œMae hen 'wlad fy nhadauā€? Can anyone post our @seren a really good rendering? A good male voice choir at the stadiwm I still call Cardiff Arms Park and the words written down so she can follow them.
@aran ?

1 Like

The cure might be to make him live somewhere with no signal for miles! When I lived on Gower, that was almost everywhere!! Of course, he might go totally insane instead, but my judgement tends to judging him thus alreadyā€¦ no be fair, old dragon, the poor man is an addict!! I know no cure for that kind of addiction!
p.s. There is virtually no signal here!! We have a perfectly OK land line!! And e-mail is OK, and less intrusive than texts!

This is from what Iā€™ve learnt:

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau
yn annwyl i mi
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion
enwogion o fri
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr
gwladgarwyr tra mad
Tros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.
Gwlad
Gwlad
pleidiol wyf iā€™m gwlad
Tra mƓr yn fur